First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT 6MT Sport & 2023 JL 2 Door 6MT Sport
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
So this means they'll have to yank the whole mess to swap out one part? Or did I misunderstand?
Thats already what we do when they fail. Its the same thing when you switch to aftermarket clutches
Sponsored

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Thats already what we do when they fail. Its the same thing when you switch to aftermarket clutches
So in effect this means in order to swap out the pressure plate - because it's all one part number - you'd get an entirely new clutch assembly?

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
So in effect this means in order to swap out the pressure plate - because it's all one part number - you'd get an entirely new clutch assembly?
Yes. You have to also remember these are dual friction clutches. Theres 2 friction materials and two friction services. Its one thick lightweight sandwich. While you do have to unbolt the clutch “cage” from the flywheel, to remove it from the engine, the part includes it with the clutch.

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Yes. You have to also remember these are dual friction clutches. Theres 2 friction materials and two friction services. Its one thick lightweight sandwich. While you do have to unbolt the clutch “cage” from the flywheel, to remove it from the engine, the part includes it with the clutch.
I would assume if the fix is a new pressure plate, this would also entail a new disk and a new flywheel; as the factory service manual states not to resurface the flywheel. Yes?

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
I would assume if the fix is a new pressure plate, this would also entail a new disk and a new flywheel; as the factory service manual states not to resurface the flywheel. Yes?
Indeed

Sponsored

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

I really hope I get to eat some crow, but am very doubtful that we’re getting new clutches.

Fenny

First Name
Fenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 jeep wrangler JLU Willys 4xe, 2021 volvo xc90
Was their a previous build date and they moved it?
I don’t believe there was a previous build date. When I heard about the recall I called my dealer and ask if my Jeep is still scheduled. He looked it up and told me there is nothing on constraint on my order and the Jeep now has a scheduled build date. 3-15. I ordered it on 1-23 and it was scheduled on 2-21.
the sales guy told me the recall was on mt jeeps built before 2-16-23. Fingers crossed that everything is ok and I can take delivery asap since I have my gladiator sold.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase

I really hope I get to eat some crow, but am very doubtful that we’re getting new clutches.
I know... but wouldn't that be something... "Dream until your dream comes true..."

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Rubicon
I don’t believe there was a previous build date. When I heard about the recall I called my dealer and ask if my Jeep is still scheduled. He looked it up and told me there is nothing on constraint on my order and the Jeep now has a scheduled build date. 3-15. I ordered it on 1-23 and it was scheduled on 2-21.
the sales guy told me the recall was on mt jeeps built before 2-16-23. Fingers crossed that everything is ok and I can take delivery asap since I have my gladiator sold.
That's correct about the recall on vehicles built before 2-16, but they've also halted all other builds with MT until the clutch is fixed. It makes sense that they are not going to build/ship a vehicle with a known recall and possibly injuring an owner. If you look at Jeep Tracker, no vehicle with MTs have gone into production since 16 Feb. My build date was 6 March, it's still sitting at D1.

Dr. Jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Rubicon
I would say that would be a safe assumption! I expect that once the fix is announced, you and everyone else in D1 should start seeing movement on your orders!
Went in and talked with my dealer, and he echoed how the fix will probably flow. Vehicle still at the plant get updated first. So, I'm probably going to hang in.

Sponsored

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
The sales guy told you there is no constraint on your order? You have one significant constraint - the manual transmission. These guys have no idea how things work.

It is unlikely that any MTs will roll off the line anytime soon. And if they do, they will ship and then sit on the dealers’ lots waiting for the fix and the lifting of the stop sale order. The time span in 2021 to develop the software update, AKA bandaid, was three months. A real solution, which is expected after two failed attempts, might likely take longer than that.

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
I am confused to why a sales weenie would tell you the system has a build date of March 15 when no fix is in place yet. My sales chicky said Tuesday that my build date of , well, Tuesday the 7 th is still on. They probably have not gone in and pulled these yet. 100 bucks say in the next few days, week, ours will digress back to D status with no ship date.
Too bad mine didn’t make it out of the plant because there is no stop sale order here in Canada.

kjl2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2-Door
Clubs

I am sure that it has been asked, but I got to page 8 and hadnt seen anything... There has normally an option for reimbursement if you were to get it fixed elsewhere, any idea if this would cover if you had gone to a shop and had the CFII installed?

zsg1313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys (totaled) 2022 Rubi (6sp 2dr)
I am sure that it has been asked, but I got to page 8 and hadnt seen anything... There has normally an option for reimbursement if you were to get it fixed elsewhere, any idea if this would cover if you had gone to a shop and had the CFII installed?
I called FCAs recall line yesterday and the person I spoke to said it wouldn't be covered unless the there was some special exception where the factory clutch couldn't be fixed via their recall. Looks like I will be waiting for the recall fix unfortunately. I was kinda looking forward to a center force replacement but I can't gamble with $2800
Sponsored