First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Considering there is a stop sale on new ones, no. You still have to do this recall.

šŸ˜‚ Thereā€™s no chance. They will slap on another bandage.
Lots of chit chat on the solution forecast. Is anyone ready to put the money where the mouth is? I say it will be a plate replacement among other things. They tried the band aid thing twice. That was a no go Joe. Now Stellantis is running it, they might make a smart corporate decision and fix it properly. The fix includes all units with band aids already applied. Someone on the Safety board must have gotten tired of the issue and launched this full design recall. Smart corporate deci is to spend the millions and fix it and be done with it. Look at Tylenol and Toyota. More than hundreds of millions to save face. But it worked. The only draw back here is there are so few manuals. And the number is only getting smaller.
I will bet a case of Canadian beer itā€™s a major fix

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
I'm hoping for a real fix, because the NHTSA has finally said this is a bad design, and it needs to be fixed. I don't think they'll sign off on a software solution. If they put a real clutch in it, and turn off stop start with the blessing of the NHTSA (small production numbers) I'd be really happy.

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I say it will be a plate replacement among other things.
I donā€™t see how they could just replace the pressure plate. If the fix is hardware, and wouldnā€™t we all be tickled if thatā€™s the case, they will have to replace the whole clutch. I just donā€™t see it happening.

For the first recall they had a parts shortage for the stupid plastic sleeve. I have zero faith that they will fix their bad design and then expediently produce parts and perform repairs.

I hope Iā€™m wrong.

T.Pigott

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon 2018 Grand Cherokee Overland HA
Occupation
Soldier
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone verified their status by vin# yet? Both my 20" and 23' don't return a result
The Uconnect ap lists both of my Jeeps (18 Sahara and 23 Rubicon] as recalled. The 18 has already had several recalls performed but still made the list.

Sponsored

eurodin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JL 6M
Theres literally no work for them to doā€¦ unless your still open on the OLD recall
Put in a new clutch until they solve problem. I am fully aware it's a short term fix, but a fix nonetless.

Within a 300 mile radius there are several dealers that have stock.

eurodin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JL 6M
I still say this is not a clutch problem per se. Its the combination of ANY MT and ESS.

Words cannot describe how much I LOATHE ESS. The first thing I do (90%) is start the Jeep and turn off ESS, then back out of the garage.

For that other 10% of the time, it ticks me off that I forgot to turn it off.

The thing is, the vehicle starts up as soon as the clutch begins to be engaged. What I learned was, always put the clutch to the floor when starting, shifting etc.

What you get with a quarter engaged clutch is.......uneven wear.

THIS is the design flaw. ESS + MT.

/rant
My 2nd to last car had ESS + MT, 400lbs torque 2.0T Turbo and it took it fine on stock clutch until 80,000 miles and plenty of trips to the drag.

But the idea of ESS is dumb. To save 10gallons of gas in 10 years only to have to replace it with parts prematurely that have a bigger ecological footprint.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT 6MT Sport & 2023 JL 2 Door 6MT Sport
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
My 2nd to last car had ESS + MT, 400lbs torque 2.0T Turbo and it took it fine on stock clutch until 80,000 miles and plenty of trips to the drag.

But the idea of ESS is dumb. To save 10gallons of gas in 10 years only to have to replace it with parts prematurely that have a bigger ecological footprint.
ESS is less for fuel economy, more for 0 emissions and idling.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
You know. Killing ESS on manuals isnt crazy. I mean the 392 dosent have it. I wonder what the count is of clutch failures on customer who always turn of or use programmers of some extent to leave ESS off? I wonder if the starting alone has a change

Stengaaa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy sonic, soon wrangler Jl 2 door
You know. Killing ESS on manuals isnt crazy. I mean the 392 dosent have it. I wonder what the count is of clutch failures on customer who always turn of or use programmers of some extent to leave ESS off? I wonder if the starting alone has a change
Thatā€™s actually a really good question, and I also didnā€™t know the 392 doesnā€™t have it, Iā€™d have thought that would have definitely been on it

Sponsored

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
Thatā€™s actually a really good question, and I also didnā€™t know the 392 doesnā€™t have it, Iā€™d have thought that would have definitely been on it
Nope. The button for turning it off is replaced with the Exhaust button as well

EuroSVT

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2023 Wrangler Sport
The Uconnect ap lists both of my Jeeps (18 Sahara and 23 Rubicon] as recalled. The 18 has already had several recalls performed but still made the list.
Now it shows up, looks like I'm a two time winner

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Glad I waited out the Y07. Cant wait to see what the fix is for 19A. If the 19A is a free clutch ill def jump on the CF for reimbursement. No way do I want a de-Tune. (40K and still fine)

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators 1678264491173

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
They didnā€™t detune anyone.
I mean they definitely did. But also the main part was adding the ā€œoverheatā€ warning on the dash. If you drive a non recalled no update one compared to an updated one. The difference is noticable under 2k RPMs
Sponsored