First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
It makes sense as Don Garlits was a Mopar guy and blew off half of his right foot due to a clutch explosion. Maybe Mopar will get it right this time.
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators garlits
Sponsored

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
It makes sense as Don Garlits was a Mopar guy and blew off half of his right foot due to a clutch explosion. Maybe Mopar will get it right this time.
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators garlits
I remember when he ran into the cornfield at the end of the track at Vargo Dragway before the locals got it shut down because the noise made the cows nervous and didn't give as much milk.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
70,000 Jeeps * (for easy math) $1,000 each would be a $70M campaign. Hard to see Jeep caring that much.

I agree with those who are guessing it’ll be another software fix. I hope MT owners enjoy their 97 lb/ft of post-recall torque. 👀
Like I said, if they want to neuter it instead of fix it, we won't be doing it.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The old e46 M3 has 330hp. It had the same SAC. They held up well for many track days. Makes you wonder why Jeep can't just spec out a PP with the proper amount of clamping force. From looking at the pics of the LUK PP on a Jeep, they have the metal adjuster on it. I know the trick on how to reset those SAC's too.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The numbers on this are really low, it’s the risk of fire that is causing the concern. If Jeep has to pay for a couple of kids cooked in the back of a Wrangler that catches on fire while they are stuck in their car seats, that’s a nightmare for them. When compared to that scenario, whatever costs they incur to fix this will be peanuts. This will be fixed this time….the fire risk at least.

My theory on this, outside of a few issues with hydraulics, is people using the clutch as a dead pedal in traffic. They are inadvertently putting a little pressure on a hydraulic clutch that is causing it to slip non stop. You absolutely must not touch this clutch pedal while driving unless it’s to shift. Lay your damned foot flat on the floor!
Foot on pedal isn't the whole story. It's all about the amount of energy being absorbed by the clutch. You get a burnt clutch smell WAAAAY before you get an outright failure. Riding the clutch at a light isn't going to hurt anything unless your in gear with the parking brake on and the accelerator mashed to the floor

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Has anyone verified their status by vin# yet? Both my 20" and 23' don't return a result
Neither, my old 2018 and my current 2021 show up.

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
I had the Y01 recall done on July 19th 2021, June 20th 2022 my clutch overheated and destroyed my transmission exactly as the recall said would happen if I didn't have the recall work done and now Stellantis is refusing any responsibility for the damages done to my Jeep because the clutch is a "wearable item" and not covered by warranty!!!
:crying: We too are unhappy to hear every one of these stories unfold.

Nevertheless, there's nothing we can do in the thread. You'll need to talk to a lawyer. There was a law firm reference in one of the other two recall threads; someone might be able to find it.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Reading this thread further justifies my decision in having my CFII clutch kit installed.

The jeep won't be seeing a Jeep dealer again that's for sure.

Best of luck to all manual JL drivers.

If you are thinking about the CFII kit, I highly recommend it.
I have the kit in hand and it goes in for installation in less than two weeks. I have 95,000 miles on my late 2019 (July delivery) and have never had an issue.

Sponsored

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
I have the kit in hand and it goes in for installation in less than two weeks. I have 95,000 miles on my late 2019 (July delivery) and have never had an issue.
95,000 miles in 4 years? Wow! That's just under 25k a year. hats off to you. you will love the CFII.

It's been transformative for me, particularly when I'm idling over rocks offroading.

good luck!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Nice!

djxizodu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door
The main issue is the torque management that cripples the engines power until 2000 rpm.

Have to slip the clutch and excessive amount to keep it running offroad and especially in reverse. It’s awful.

that coupled with a COMPLETE GARBAGE, dual mass flywheel, this is what you get.

#jeepcares the way to truely fix this is to flash our ecus removing torque management and replace our flywheels with normal flywheels. There are zero real world advantages to dual mass. None. Just buy the existing aftermarket flywheels and clutches and mail them to us to replace on our own. But none of this will happen, even though in the long run it would cost less and result in a happier customer. But we can’t have that now then, can we?

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
The main issue is the torque management that cripples the engines power until 2000 rpm.

Have to slip the clutch and excessive amount to keep it running offroad and especially in reverse. It’s awful.

that coupled with a COMPLETE GARBAGE, dual mass flywheel, this is what you get.

#jeepcares the way to truely fix this is to flash our ecus removing torque management and replace our flywheels with normal flywheels. There are zero real world advantages to dual mass. None. Just buy the existing aftermarket flywheels and clutches and mail them to us to replace on our own. But none of this will happen, even though in the long run it would cost less and result in a happier customer. But we can’t have that now then, can we?
What torque management are you referring to? It’s an NA V6 with VVT. It’s no rocket ship but my relatively light weight 2 door has no need to slip the clutch unusually. But, yes, you can feel the VVT kick in at 2k rpm.

djxizodu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door
That’s not the vvt you are feeling “kick in” that is the torqued management being relaxed. I’m gusssing still not eliminated though.

vvt is in upper rpms
Sponsored