Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I mean they definitely did. But also the main part was adding the “overheat” warning on the dash. If you drive a non recalled no update one compared to an updated one. The difference is noticable under 2k RPMs
There are several owners, including myself, that notice no change in behavior sub 2000 rpm’s pre and post recall. My 2020 has always had noticeably less power there. According to the documentation (if it is to be trusted) the derate only occurs in the event the PCM suspects a clutch overheat, in which case a message is also displayed on the cluster.
Sponsored

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
There are several owners, including myself, that notice no change in behavior sub 2000 rpm’s pre and post recall. My 2020 has always had noticeably less power there. According to the documentation (if it is to be trusted) the derate only occurs in the event the PCM suspects a clutch overheat, in which case a message is also displayed on the cluster.
I have a '21, and I have received the message on the cluster. It was under heavy, 4L use turning around on a tight trail (so back and forth between reverse and 1st). I didn't have the recall, it was already built into mine, so I can't speak to the different in the power.

Stengaaa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy sonic, soon wrangler Jl 2 door
The irony in this fact is 10/10. Maybe part of the recall will be that they replace the auto stop start button with hill start assist button for us!
Is that where it holds the brakes on a hill?

fspalt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Is that where it holds the brakes on a hill?
Yeah only way to turn it on and off right now is to use the menu on the touch screen. Alternately if you have a taser you can program the steering wheel controls to do it.

Sponsored

Stengaaa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy sonic, soon wrangler Jl 2 door
Yeah only way to turn it on and off right now is to use the menu on the touch screen. Alternately if you have a taser you can program the steering wheel controls to do it.
Is the reason they let you turn it off for off road purposes? My current car does not allow me to turn it off (it’s also a Chevy hatchback) and I know taser is that plug in thing but I swear every time I see that I think of taser face from guardians of the galaxy ?

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
Nope. The button for turning it off is replaced with the Exhaust button as well
So, what you're saying is, that if I owned a 392, I would still hit that button when I started my Jeep, just like I do now. :)

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I mean they definitely did. But also the main part was adding the “overheat” warning on the dash. If you drive a non recalled no update one compared to an updated one. The difference is noticable under 2k RPMs
The only difference I noticed after both clutch recalls was the rev hang was noticeably better (less).

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
On paper, the hill brake assist sounds like a great feature for a manual that we all know can roll on steep hills in that short time between stop and full clutch engagement w/ vehicle movement. However, the feature completely overwhelms any of the critical vehicle feedback drivers need to modulate brake, clutch and throttle transition. In other words, with the hill brake assist on, a driver essentially HAS to over-rev the engine and stress the clutch.

Jeep has kept handbrakes in the Wrangler for which I give them great credit in an era where many manufacturers are moving to electronic actuation. With the manual brake, I don't really see the need for hill brake assist when you can just actuate the handbrake on a hill along with clutch, throttle and brake pedals. Manual handbrake is a great feature that can and should be used by any manual driver with two arms and two legs.

Of course if you own an automatic transmission you probably would love the electronic handbrake with hill stop assist feature because the vehicle does it for you. "Modern e-brakes are just so good. I have been a life long manual handbrake guy but this one is so amazing I never look back. It anticipates what you want the car to do. No clicking when I pull up and my thumb doesn't get sore any more."

fspalt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
On paper, the hill brake assist sounds like a great feature for a manual that we all know can roll on steep hills in that short time between stop and full clutch engagement w/ vehicle movement. However, the feature completely overwhelms any of the critical vehicle feedback drivers need to modulate brake, clutch and throttle transition. In other words, with the hill brake assist on, a driver essentially HAS to over-rev the engine and stress the clutch.

Jeep has kept handbrakes in the Wrangler for which I give them great credit in an era where many manufacturers are moving to electronic actuation. With the manual brake, I don't really see the need for hill brake assist when you can just actuate the handbrake on a hill along with clutch, throttle and brake pedals. Manual handbrake is a great feature that can and should be used by any manual driver with two arms and two legs.

Of course if you own an automatic transmission you probably would love the electronic handbrake with hill stop assist feature because the vehicle does it for you. "Modern e-brakes are just so good. I have been a life long manual handbrake guy but this one is so amazing I never look back. It anticipates what you want the car to do. No clicking when I pull up and my thumb doesn't get sore any more."

Yeah that's what makes the taser sweet. You can press the button on the steering wheel (keeping both hands on the wheel). Also with the mechanical hand brake only actuates the rear brakes (some older cars just one rear wheel).

Sponsored

Trav73

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
Is there anyway to remove the de-tune? My 2021 had no choice in the matter.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
The only difference I noticed after both clutch recalls was the rev hang was noticeably better (less).
This is one thing I notice on our '22, there really is no rev hang. Once we swapped to 4.10 gears, shifting is pretty intuitive. I drove a '20, and it had some rev hang I thought.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT 6MT Sport & 2023 JL 2 Door 6MT Sport
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
It was slight, but under hard acceleration, throttle opening was slower when I monitored it from out diag system. they certainly covered their butts in the cheapest way. At least with the 392 exhaust button it saves which option you were previously on when you turned it off. Also if ford can allow you to delete start/stop factory, I don't see why Jeep can't in full honesty, at least on MTs. Also, when I disabled brake hold (all the time through the radio) I noticed a much better take off constancy. The hill detection was just too shallow in my opinion. The JK was much better at deciding when and when not to use it.

KJKWillys

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Granite Crystal Willys - 6 Speed Manual
Just landed in my inbox, courtesy of NHTSA.

My $0.02 after almost 5 years ownership, two clutch recalls (a plastic sleeve and software flash), frame weld recall (inspection only and mine passed), a bricked UConnect (replaced with refurbished unit that had ancient software build and which no longer gets OTA updates - I flashed latest build myself)…. I think anyone speculating that FCA will replace 69,000 clutches is dreaming. They will come up with another inspection/test (dump clutch in 3rd at high rpm to make sure it doesn’t slip) and flash more software. Perhaps the new software will come with the addition of a temperature sensor this time.

I’m an eternal pessimist, but that’s my take.

All of that said, I have 52,000 happy miles and stopped worrying about this crappy pressure plate long ago. I carry a fire extinguisher and that’s really all I can control. I worry a lot more about being hit by some dummy playing on their phone.

Here’s the recall e-mail:

Your vehicle MAY be involved in a safety recall and MAY create a safety risk for you or your passengers. If left unrepaired, a potential safety defect could lead to injury or even death. Safety defects must be repaired by a dealer at no cost to you.

Why am I getting this email?
You are receiving this message because you requested to be notified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) if there is a safety recall that mayaffect your vehicle.

The following may apply to one or more of your vehicles if your vehicle is listed below. Click on the NHTSA Recall ID Number below to read more about the safety issue and the reason for the recall.

To find out if your specific passenger vehicle is included in the recall, use our VIN Look-up Tool.

NHTSA Recall ID Number :​
23V116
Manufacturer :​
Chrysler (FCA US, LLC)
Subject :​
Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat
Make​
Model​
Model Years​
JEEP​
GLADIATOR​
2020-2023​
JEEP​
WRANGLER​
2018-2023​
What is a recall?
When a manufacturer or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) determines that a vehicle creates an unreasonable risk to safety or fails to meet minimum safety standards, the manufacturer is required to fix that vehicle at no cost to the owner. That can be done by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund (for equipment) or, in rare cases, repurchasing the car.

What should I do if my vehicle is included in this recall?
If your vehicle is included in this recall, it is very important that you get it fixed as soon as possible given the potential danger to you and your passengers if it is not addressed. You should receive a separate letter in the mail from the vehicle manufacturer, notifying you of the recall and explaining when the remedy will be available, whom to contact to repair your vehicle, and to remind you that the repair will be done at no charge to you. If you believe your vehicle is included in the recall, but you do not receive a letter in the mail from the vehicle manufacturer, please call NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236, or contact your vehicle manufacturer or dealership.

Thank you for your attention to this important safety matter and for your commitment to helping save lives on America's roadways.

Additional Resources
Understanding Vehicle Recalls
Recalls FAQ

Thank you,

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
United States Department of Transportation

1677761715242.png
“Suspended shipment of vehicles with manual transmissions”
Also a stop sale for any vehicles currently on Dealers lot.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators 8E019887-B6FE-4C8E-A61A-574675267D04

Last edited:

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT 6MT Sport & 2023 JL 2 Door 6MT Sport
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
“Suspended shipment of vehicles with manual transmissions”

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators 8E019887-B6FE-4C8E-A61A-574675267D04
If anything atleast I know there was 15K JTs built with MTs lol. Was not able to get a solid number before lol
Sponsored