www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

My guess is that those of us who use Tazer to program tire and gear size are kinda SOL. Why?

1. If we don't unmarry the Tazer, then the software update will brute-force overwrite the Tazer programming (if it works at all)
2. But if we DO unmarry the Tazer, then the Jeep doesn't know what tire and gear sizes it has, and so, as we've seen, concludes that the clutch is slipping and nerfs the Jeep, preventing the tire and gear sizes from being updated.

So my thought is that if you're a Tazer user, to prepare the Jeep for the recall the steps would be:

1. Unmarry the Tazer
2. Use JSCAN to program the tire size and gear ratio into the Jeep computer
3. THEN take it to the dealer to have them do the update

This is just a guess though. I have no idea if these steps will actually prevent the problem or not. Still, if I were going to take my Jeep in for the recall, that's what I personally would try at this point, given the info we've now seen so far and Brian's experience.
The biggest problem to me is future upgrades. Anyone that wants to change sizes of gearing and tires I believe will have the most problems. As the relearn steps you have to get the Jeep into 6th gear above 40 and below 80mph and hold for 20 seconds to relearn the gearing after setting the pcm numbers to the new sizes. This is where the problem is currently. They have updated the gear and tire but the pcm and bcc can not let the Jeep get to the needed speed before “slippage calculated valves set off the service transmission and limp mode activated. Hope to get with the case manager today. I’ve left two voicemails and reached out to @JeepCares again as well as the dealer with this new information. This is going to be a long drawn out problem and Jeep will have to figure something better out than the software for this clutch problem.
Sponsored

Jeep Wick

First Name
Wick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Tide
Occupation
Mechanic
I also believe there will end up being. A class action law suit with manual transmission Jeep drivers and it will be the end of the manuals
I don't think it will come to that, but they do need to sort out this software debacle. And I feel for everyone that trusted the dealers with the repair. Good techs are hard to find. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

I don't think it will come to that, but they do need to sort out this software debacle. And I feel for everyone that trusted the dealers with the repair. Good techs are hard to find. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
I don’t Blame the dealer or the tech. This is 100% on Jeep for not thinking the crap software throughly. Failing to think about all sides of the spectrum and what people buy Jeeps for. My dealer service a manger has been good to work with as well. So fair anything to do with jeep or their customer care service has been crap. 5 days waiting for a phone call. I’ve left 2-3 voicemails and have called 5-6 different times this week with zero call back not even hey F you your screwed lol

LHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU, Rivian R1S, '99 Cherokee XJ
Just an update on mine, 19A completed on the 4th and all is well. Clutch was a little grabby at first but has smoothed out with use. Feels no different than before now.
Gregj
Do you have larger tires and/or regearing?

Sponsored

lastxit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU 4-door
One of the hurdles I'm running into is finding anyone who is both savvy and skillful with the JL manuals. Dealers I have spoken to have none on the lots and it seems no one knows much about them other than "I heard they have issues; I don't like em".

Anyone in the Kansas City area who can shoot me a referral? Need someone I can trust.

Thanks!

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

One of the hurdles I'm running into is finding anyone who is both savvy and skillful with the JL manuals. Dealers I have spoken to have none on the lots and it seems no one knows much about them other than "I heard they have issues; I don't like em".

Anyone in the Kansas City area who can shoot me a referral? Need someone I can trust.

Thanks!
The clutch is easy. 3-4 hours in the driveway. But the software.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
SOFTWARE and CLUTCH don't belong in the same sentence....ever.
This BS is like a computer manufacturer switching to 93 octane because their laptop performance sucks.
It's literally as stupid as it sounds.

Sponsored

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
That definitely has to be done after tires/gears but the error it sets is the ESS not available. Don’t know if it would put it in limp mode.
Gregj
Mine didn't set ESS faults with the gear change, it set "gear ratio incorrect/speed sensor fault". No gear indicator in the display until I got it on the freeway over 60 mph in 6th gear for a couple minutes and then the indicator returned (the relearn thing). This is after I changed the gear ratio in the PCM (right after install before I drove it). After it relearned gear position, I was able to erase the gear ratio fault and it never returned. That was going from 3.45 to 4.10. Never did get an ESS fault.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Mine didn't set ESS faults with the gear change, it set "gear ratio incorrect/speed sensor fault". No gear indicator in the display until I got it on the freeway over 60 mph in 6th gear for a couple minutes and then the indicator returned (the relearn thing). This is after I changed the gear ratio in the PCM (right after install before I drove it). After it relearned gear position, I was able to erase the gear ratio fault and it never returned. That was going from 3.45 to 4.10. Never did get an ESS fault.
Interesting; I regeared myself recently and set the new ratio with Jscan before ever driving it. I did not get a gear ratio error, only an ESS error, which disappeared after I drove in 6th for a while and then disconnected the battery.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Three to Four hours in a driveway?

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators 1704898328617
Lol, last one I did was a Toyota 4Runner for my old roommate. We knocked it out in little over 4 hours with a couple glasses of whiskey lol

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
This makes the software update all worth while.
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators JL gear 6