Sponsored

TCRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Anyone in the Central FL area have the repair done yet? Or, have recommendations as to which dealership to take it to?
Sponsored

Actman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKUR, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
President and head cheerleader at ACT

CapeArt

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Sport S, Porsche 987S, MazdaSpeed Miata
I just picked up my Jeep from dealer after getting recall done….drove 1+ hr home… The new clutch definitely feels better, more substance, not wicked light like original….feels good. Heres some pics of original with 10,863 miles that dealer gave me.
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators IMG_3710

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators IMG_3712

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators IMG_3711

Sponsored

Billyg73

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2021 wrangler Sahara
I have been reading this thread as I have a '22 MT wrangler. 2 take aways, I still don't know if I trust a dealer to do the repair. 2 you guys feel the same stupid throttle hang after you take your foot off the gas. I have driven stick for 35 yrs and this jeep feels sloppy and computer manipulated. Tried a pedal commander and that just makes it quicker on the response curve. Is there a way to get rid of that throttle hang? scared me one time when I expected the engine to slow the jeep when I took my foot off the gas.

Will Jeep cover getting this ACT JP6 HDSS clutch?

Thanks

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLR HellaYella!
FYI, I just spoke with NHTSA because I wanted to know how long manufacturers get from when they file the recall to when they have to have the "remedy available".

Shockingly for our government, the answer is that there is no deadline, no requirement. They could leave it at "Parts not yet available" for years if they wanted to.

LOL

The existing clutch in my 2019 is working fine, but I was curious.

Of course it's bullshit: Stellantis has replacement clutches for my model year, they just don't want them used for the recall yet.

Mguy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6spd MT
FYI, I just spoke with NHTSA because I wanted to know how long manufacturers get from when they file the recall to when they have to have the "remedy available".

Shockingly for our government, the answer is that there is no deadline, no requirement. They could leave it at "Parts not yet available" for years if they wanted to.

LOL

The existing clutch in my 2019 is working fine, but I was curious.

Of course it's bullshit: Stellantis has replacement clutches for my model year, they just don't want them used for the recall yet.
I'm curious, if a recalled Jeep needs a new clutch, but isn't yet on the right list, would there be problems at a dealership getting the parts and work done? Perhaps this thread will get some reports of first hand experience.

With the long term trend restricting agency power, the NHTSA response is not surprising. The class action suit should help, but the other long term trend restricts class plaintiff legal power.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe the dealer needs to bill warranty for it if under warranty, or you if it isn't.

They can't bill the recall until your vehicle has the status of "remedy available".

Someone else should confirm this for us, since I'm semi talking outta my ass.

If they bill you there is a mechanism for you to get reimbursed under the recall.

Is there a class-action lawsuit?

Last edited:

Billyg73

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are they replacing it with at this time?

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are they replacing it with at this time?
I presume with the same newly-designed clutch they are currently installing in the 2023 JL's and Gladiators, or one nearly identical that is compatible with earlier model years.

I believe they have the replacement clutches, they are just "staging" the availability to match their ability to manufacture the parts. Right now they are replacing the clutches in vehicles already on dealer lots, and of course building new units at the factory with the "new" clutch.

If it were me I would certainly fix unsold units first (this may be required by law before they can be sold!), and then who knows what order they'll use after that. I can't think of a reason they would do it by model year going backwards -- theoretically the older the clutch the more likely it is to fail so our 2019 is the first model year of the JL and maybe we'll go before more recent years?

Although I'm very happy with my 2019 JL, the clutch has always been really exacting - very little movement from off to engaged.. and with decades of manual driving I stall out occasionally which I blame on the clutch not on myself ;)

Billyg73

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makes sense to fix the ones on the lots. EXCEPT from a risk stand point you want the bad ones off the road. liability if someone dies is HUGE. Do we like this new clutch? I have been reading about guys going to this ACT JP6.

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makes sense to fix the ones on the lots. EXCEPT from a risk stand point you want the bad ones off the road. liability if someone dies is HUGE. Do we like this new clutch? I have been reading about guys going to this ACT JP6.
I think I read one comment somewhere that a guy felt his replacement clutch "felt better" than the original one. I don't believe he elaborated.

I would just like it to be a little more forgiving - like from "off" to "engaged" shouldn't be like 1/2 an inch clutch-pedal travel and engaging so soon after you begin to press. My JK clutch felt much better to me as I recall it - this one is too "crisp", that one more "gentle".
Sponsored