Sponsored

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
I just had a CF I put in our JL. It is such an improvement that if I were to buy a new jeep today, I would change the clutch within a month.
If I I knew when I bought my 2021 Jeep back in 2020 that there was a problem with and that it wasn't strong enough for my Jeep I would have replaced it immediately. Instead I received the recall last year and had the recall done on 7/19/2021 and figured that was it, that I'd be fine. Sadly, everything isn't fine. The recall did NOT prevent the clutch from exploding on my Jeep, and I've been without my Jeep since June 22 2022 and Stellantis doesn't care and not only do they NOT care, they're refusing any responsibility for the damage done to my Jeep as well as the 50-60 other Jeep owners that I've come across with the SAME problem! Stellantis is helping NONE of us and Instead telling us that the clutch is a wearable item and we're responsible for thousands of dollars in repairs for our Jeeps! Which is BULLSHIT!! THEY (STELLANTIS) is fully aware that there's a problem with the clutches in the 2018 and beyond JL/JLU'S! They've acknowledged that problem by issuing at least 3 recalls (W12, Y07, & Y01) and the recalls have NOT prevented the problem from happening! LEGALLY STELLANTIS IS LIABLE FOR FAILED RECALLS ON THIS PROBLEM AND NEED TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THIS!!! Some of the Jeep owners I've come across have 2018-2021 Wranglers and had both the W12 and the Y07 recall done and their clutch exploded anyways and are being told by Stellantis TOUGH LUCK, IT'S A WEARABLE ITEM AND YOU'RE RESPONSIBLE!! I'm FED UP WITH STELLANTIS!!!

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
If I I knew when I bought my 2021 Jeep back in 2020 that there was a problem with and that it wasn't strong enough for my Jeep I would have replaced it immediately. Instead I received the recall last year and had the recall done on 7/19/2021 and figured that was it, that I'd be fine. Sadly, everything isn't fine. The recall did NOT prevent the clutch from exploding on my Jeep, and I've been without my Jeep since June 22 2022 and Stellantis doesn't care and not only do they NOT care, they're refusing any responsibility for the damage done to my Jeep as well as the 50-60 other Jeep owners that I've come across with the SAME problem! Stellantis is helping NONE of us and Instead telling us that the clutch is a wearable item and we're responsible for thousands of dollars in repairs for our Jeeps! Which is BULLSHIT!! THEY (STELLANTIS) is fully aware that there's a problem with the clutches in the 2018 and beyond JL/JLU'S! They've acknowledged that problem by issuing at least 3 recalls (W12, Y07, & Y01) and the recalls have NOT prevented the problem from happening! LEGALLY STELLANTIS IS LIABLE FOR FAILED RECALLS ON THIS PROBLEM AND NEED TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THIS!!! Some of the Jeep owners I've come across have 2018-2021 Wranglers and had both the W12 and the Y07 recall done and their clutch exploded anyways and are being told by Stellantis TOUGH LUCK, IT'S A WEARABLE ITEM AND YOU'RE RESPONSIBLE!! I'm FED UP WITH STELLANTIS!!!
I had the recalls too and knew they would not help, hence the CF. I was lucky enough to get it installed before there was a problem, if there would have been at all.

How much damage did it do to your Jeep?

Last edited:

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
I had the recalls too and new they would not help, hence the CF. I was lucky enough to get it installed before there was a problem, if there would have been at all.

How much damage did it do to your Jeep?
It destroyed my transmission. I was lucky though only $7,000 in damages. Others have $13,000 + in damages

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
It destroyed my transmission. I was lucky though only $7,000 in damages. Others have $13,000 + in damages
Not to make light of $7k, but you are letting your Jeep sit for five months rather than repairing it yourself and then going after Stelantis? Are you making payments on it? What is your plan when they continue to not fix it?

Since it is unlikely they are going to do anything about it, get it fixed yourself and move on. Or let the bank take it back and move on.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I was heading down the path of getting my First Jeep with a manual. But I guess now I need to pony up the $4k for an Automatic. Which I hear is really good, but it wasn't worth $4k to me.
Per the configurator, adding an automatic transmission to a 2023 Wrangler will cost $2K, $2.5K or $4K, depending on the selected engine. The $4K charge is evident only when selecting the eTorque-equipped Pentastar.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Thank you so much, we are so grateful for the sharp eyes of the other motorist who alerted her. Agreed this is one for the insurance and dealership.

photo the day she purchased it new in 2018
892DAF5D-43D9-4095-BFDA-EF6A169B5DA2.jpeg

then yesterday
69F573DA-B5CE-4F71-B05E-06CB0FC49A2F.jpeg

The dogs are safe in my Gladiator.
Well it is good to see see she has a smile on her face after all that transpired. But it also looks like her jeans were damaged in the fire. ..

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Well it is good to see see she has a smile on her face after all that transpired. But it also looks like her jeans were damaged in the fire. ..
what are you insinuating?

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Pretty sure he’s just “insinuating” her jeans were “tattered” as a result of the incident.
It just seems really odd to me that people actually buy jeans that look like that new...

Sponsored

OP
OP
krweatherl

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD 2021 4xe 2020 JTR (sold)
Finally got to install that ARB Stubby front bumper onto my niece’s @JessBiron “replacement” Jeep. Now it’s time for a lift and maybe even a winch.
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground 965DBFC3-DB25-42F6-A601-2C5C2732D3FC

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
Finally got to install that ARB Stubby front bumper onto my niece’s @JessBiron “replacement” Jeep. Now it’s time for a lift and maybe even a winch.
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground 965DBFC3-DB25-42F6-A601-2C5C2732D3FC
Following this thread since it first appeared. Congratulations to your niece, nice looking jeep. More details please when you get a chance. Assume it is an automatic this time?

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Nice looking replacement.

If you don’t mind me asking, did her insurance cover this; or did Stellantis step up?

OP
OP
krweatherl

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD 2021 4xe 2020 JTR (sold)
Hopefully @JessBiron will correct me if I get any details wrong.
She ended up taking the insurance settlement after it became clear that neither the dealership nor FCA/Stellantis was going to do anything to make her whole.
She purchased a 2020 Sport S w/automatic.

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Hopefully @JessBiron will correct me if I get any details wrong.
She ended up taking the insurance settlement after it became clear that neither the dealership nor FCA/Stellantis was going to do anything to make her whole.
She purchased a 2020 Sport S w/automatic.
Well I’m glad she got a new Jeep. Hopefully Stellantis will eventually be on the hook for these clutch failures.
Sponsored