Sponsored

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
First, I'm glad to hear the OP's niece and her dog are okay. That's all that really matters! I've owned two other Wranglers besides the 2021 JLU I have now. Both were MT's and went well beyond 150K miles and I never had a problem with the clutch or tranny, in either.
I really wanted the MT when I bought the '21. Took one for an extended test drive and got a feel for the clutch fairly quickly but I just couldn't convince myself to spend close to $50K on a vehicle that has a known, and significant, design deficiency. The AT mated to the 3.6 is a nice combo but a JL/ U really should have a MT.
You were wiser than me. I guess I was so blinded by my desire to have a Jeep with a stick, I said the hell with the clear evidence right in front of me and bought it anyway.
Sponsored

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
So, I've got a '21 that's outside of the recall windows. Other than the one time I received the warning message for clutch overheated (again - it was warranted I was doing a poor job of turning around on a trail in 4L). Is there anything in particular to be on the lookout for?
When I ordered my '21, Jeep held onto the vehicle for an extra month before shipping to my dealer so that they could install the recall software "fix" before shipping. My Jeep was manufactured in Jan 21. I would imagine that all Jeeps w 6SP manufactured in 21 would have the fix pre-installed.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
When I ordered my '21, Jeep held onto the vehicle for an extra month before shipping to my dealer so that they could install the recall software "fix" before shipping. My Jeep was manufactured in Jan 21. I would imagine that all Jeeps w 6SP manufactured in 21 would have the fix pre-installed.
That's my understanding, I asked the reps when I picked up my Jeep and they stated the same thing...

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
So, I've got a '21 that's outside of the recall windows. Other than the one time I received the warning message for clutch overheated (again - it was warranted I was doing a poor job of turning around on a trail in 4L). Is there anything in particular to be on the lookout for?
I have to ask, did your Jeep perform differently after that message appeared? One of the “benefits” of the Y7 is a reduction in torque, which in theory reduces heat buildup, thus preventing an explosion and/or fire.

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Yes, you would imagine

Sponsored

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I have to ask, did your Jeep perform differently after that message appeared? One of the “benefits” of the Y7 is a reduction on of torque, which in theory reduces heat buildup, thus preventing an explosion and/or fire.
No, it's been the exact same, probably better because that was at about 2500 miles, it seemed like the first 1000-maybe up to 2500 3rd gear was a bit rough, it's smooth as can be now (other than 1st gear being a bit quick).

GeoTracker

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Got another notice to do my recall today after months of nothing since the last notice. Looks like Jeep is well aware of this thread.

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I suspect the clutch grenaded first, undetected, which resulted in the fire which resulted in the loss of hydraulics. If this was due to friction induced over heating, why didn't the just applied recall throttle down the engine as designed?
I think you are correct. I wonder what component failed first - flywheel, disk, pressure plate, or maybe even a bolt sheared of.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I really don’t want an auto either but I’m just afraid of throwing n a centerforce clutch for all that money and then something else goes wrong. I suppose if the hydraulics are to blame that would happen no matter which flywheel is in there
Even if the issue is overheated hydraulic fluid by the exhaust or other, the Centerforce clutch and flywheel are made from billet steel that is much less likely to fragment under the same conditions that cause these cast iron parts to come apart. Some racing associations will not let modified street cars race with cast iron flywheels and also require "scatter shield" bellhousings (thick formed steel).

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Although I don't own a manual trans JL, if I did, I'd be worried about losing a foot or two if those parts come thru the thin sheet metal floor. That's why I'm siding with LLRubyLady's decision to not drive her JL any more. It just wouldn't be worth the risk to me.

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Although I don't own a manual trans JL, if I did, I'd be worried about losing a foot or two if those parts come thru the thin sheet metal floor. That's why I'm siding with LLRubyLady's decision to not drive her JL any more. It just wouldn't be worth the risk to me.
Damn, seriously? Now I’m starting to actually worry about this situation whereas before, I figured it was limited to the older JLs that were blowing up and even those were extremely rare occurrences. I need to get a beer and ponder this some more……

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Honestly. Even tho it was MY jeep.. I am still considering the manual, even after this ordeal.. I've been driving manuals since age 16. Drove an automatic for a year and a half and turned back to manuals. I just feel (ha) safer cause I have more control. This was definitely a mechanical failure. Jeep knew there was an issue. Which is why they issued a recall.. and sadly the recall was "band-aid" fix to the real problem. This recall was to lower torque from the engine so the clutch didn't slip.. they put a poor clutch in it for those years. And it seems as if they fixed it later realizing their error. It has been a tragic week (and day) but it was the way they made it
Did you get the overheating warning message on your dash?
Sponsored