krweatherl

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD 2021 4xe 2020 JTR (sold)
Jess just received this photo from Clay (the alert motorist most likely saved her life). Just seconds after leaving the Jeep, here she’s still loading her dogs into the bed of his truck, he took this photo.
What I find interesting is that the center of the median is already on fire about 2-3 hundred yards behind her Jeep but there’s no grass Fire next her jeep yet. This is probably where we’d find pieces of her flywheel and/or the friction disc. She said that’s about where he started trying to get her attention.
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground 6489912C-D3D9-4068-8B65-F5E4401B5564
Sponsored

fspalt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It seems FCA/Stellantis may not have accurately identified the root cause of these failures.

Makes me wonder if the cause may be related to the hydraulic line/slave cylinder getting overheated by engine/exhaust heat radiation, causing a "vapor lock" in the hydraulic clutch system, expanding the volume of the fluid as it turns to gas and partially actuating the throwout bearing against the pressure plate. Just a suspicious thought. I don't even have a JL with a manual trans to look at.

The attached chart gives boiling point of brake fluid, with new/fresh fluid on the left and older fluid with moisture absorbed by %, to the right. The JL uses DOT 3 fluid, which is the lower curve on the chart.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground 6489912C-D3D9-4068-8B65-F5E4401B5564
This used to happen to my 2002 Camaro. I knew that it was time for a fluid change when after a few spirited runs my clutch petal would start to go soft. I started using DOT 5 racing fluid and the problem more or less went away. I may start a new thread on this. Anyone see any consequences to using a higher DOT fluid in the JL?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Jess just received this photo from Clay (the alert motorist most likely saved her life). Just seconds after leaving the Jeep, here she’s still loading her dogs into the bed of his truck, he took this photo.
What I find interesting is that the center of the median is already on fire about 2-3 hundred yards behind her Jeep but there’s no grass Fire next her jeep yet. This is probably where we’d find pieces of her flywheel and/or the friction disc. She said that’s about where he started trying to get her attention.
It’s a bit terrifying as I have my daughter in the back in her car seat from time to time.

I always figured if it was going to happen to my Jeep it would have happened by now but now idk anymore. Seems like it could happen anytime/ mileage.

14rubi

First Name
frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 CJ, 82 CJ, Ram TRX
The quote is BS. There are design, engineering, and implementation flaws with this clutch system.

The operator did not cause this.....
There are NO fire/alarm detection systems in this vehicle......or a operating procedure in your Jeep manual; stating what to do if your clutch pedal falls to the floor.

Don't know how in any real world scenario this Jeep burning to the ground is anyway operator error.

bonniejf

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
Glad she and her dogs escaped unharmed. Jeep replaced my clutch at 40,000 miles and I have put 12,000 flawless miles on the new one. I love driving my Jeep, but it is just an expensive toy for me and not a daily driver I have to rely on. I wish Jeep/Stellantis would be upfront and clear about what the heck is going on. The two recalls have so much confusion surrounding them. Should I have anything to worry about... is my replacement clutch the same as the original... was it an install/defect/hydraulic problem... I would like some answers.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
I talked to my shop today about replacing with a CF. By chance the CF rep is going to be at his shop tomorrow afternoon and they will discuss it more. I will likely have the CF-1 on order by Monday morning. $2280 +tax installed

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I talked to my shop today about replacing with a CF. By chance the CF rep is going to be at his shop tomorrow afternoon and they will discuss it more. I will likely have the CF-1 on order by Monday morning. $2280 +tax installed
Nice I paid 3200 plus for it all, for the JL they only offer the II and the DF, I went with the II and it’s great on the street, ill be wheeling it this weekend but I’m expecting it to be amazing. I can idle up my steep driveway in 2Hi, I used to stall out right at the bottom

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Please keep us informed of how it goes, the wife gave me the go a head to get new clutch, scary with kids in the back. another guy said CF only comes in the II and DF for the JL, is that correct? I was looking at the CF1...

Sponsored

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Nice I paid 3200 plus for it all, for the JL they only offer the II and the DF, I went with the II and it’s great on the street, ill be wheeling it this weekend but I’m expecting it to be amazing. I can idle up my steep driveway in 2Hi, I used to stall out right at the bottom
Why do they not offer the CF1? And please give more detail into how the clutch feels, drives, any issues...very interested thanks much appreciated. Whats the difference between the CF1, CF2, and the DF anyway? Whats the best option for a stock or lightly modded JL?

OP
OP
krweatherl

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD 2021 4xe 2020 JTR (sold)
It’s a bit terrifying as I have my daughter in the back in her car seat from time to time.

I always figured if it was going to happen to my Jeep it would have happened by now but now idk anymore. Seems like it could happen anytime/ mileage.
I’m now convinced that the way these are failing we are going to be seeing many more of these type of events. This looks like heat related metal failure of the flywheel. Even under normal conditions clutch friction generates heat. Given enough of these heat cycles metal is going to fatigue and even crack. A properly designed part will be designed to not self destruct when this fatigue occurs. (I haven’t seen a flywheel or pressure plate yet that hasn’t shown signs of the effect of heat). It could be a manufacturing defect but given the numbers we’re seeing and the range of manufacturing years in which these failures are occurring it’s looking more like a design failure than a manufacturing failure.
No part of the clutch, be it the flywheel, pressure plate or friction disc should be self destructing due to heat stress. Especially not on a “Trail Rated” vehicle like a Jeep. If anything this clutch should be designed to take even more abuse than most other vehicles.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Why do they not offer the CF1? And please give more detail into how the clutch feels, drives, any issues...very interested thanks much appreciated. Whats the difference between the CF1, CF2, and the DF anyway? Whats the best option for a stock or lightly modded JL?
The difference is the holding and torque capacity, for a stock JL or even lightly modded I’d go with a II but I’m sure either is fine regardless of the mods. I am heavily modified (40’s, gears, axle) but still went with the II.

the clutch feels great almost like stock now that it’s broken in, at first it was a little stiff now it’s maybe 15 percent more than stock but you can feel when it engages.

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler
It seems FCA/Stellantis may not have accurately identified the root cause of these failures.

Makes me wonder if the cause may be related to the hydraulic line/slave cylinder getting overheated by engine/exhaust heat radiation, causing a "vapor lock" in the hydraulic clutch system, expanding the volume of the fluid as it turns to gas and partially actuating the throwout bearing against the pressure plate. Just a suspicious thought. I don't even have a JL with a manual trans to look at.

The attached chart gives boiling point of brake fluid, with new/fresh fluid on the left and older fluid with moisture absorbed by %, to the right. The JL uses DOT 3 fluid, which is the lower curve on the chart.

They do know the issue...the issue was the inlet hose from the res to the clutch master rubs on something causing air to get into the system.....AIr in the system causing the hydraulics to malfunction aka not disengaging/slipping the clutch and overheating the pressure plate to over heat and come apart. I can tell you from lots of experience with this recall the hyd system is extremely hard to bleed due to design. The clutch health test was done to determine if the clutch has slipped previously

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Please keep us informed of how it goes, the wife gave me the go a head to get new clutch, scary with kids in the back. another guy said CF only comes in the II and DF for the JL, is that correct? I was looking at the CF1...
I thought the CF-1 was available, but should know for sure by Monday.
Sponsored