Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Chrysler and FCA were never quick to do recalls on the litany of serious JK flaws and were reluctant to hand them out until many years later. Many of them never graduated beyond a TSB that you still had to fight the dealership to not bill you for despite Jeep offering to cover the work.

The JK's garbage TOBs were what put me back into an automatic when I got my JL.
It all depends on the dealership and the maintenance supervisor.

For our 2020 JLUR, I barely mentioned the replacement steering gearbox and they had me scheduled for a test drive.

They test drove it, then ordered my parts, and set up the work when they came in.

And honestly, there wasn't even anything wrong with the steering. I just didn't want a problem later. Peterson's in Nampa, ID ftw.
Sponsored

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler
Thatā€™s highly likely that in Jessā€™ case but I am wondering if part AD is still exploding after recall.
Maybe this is something those attorneys working in the class action suit can find out.
the change in part number could be a supplier change too. Its not always a part change

OP
OP
krweatherl

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD 2021 4xe 2020 JTR (sold)
After reading the first few pages of the comments here its clear most of you arent familiar with what the recalls actually did. Judging from the pictures posted, the clutch slipped and over heated causing it to come apart. Im guessing the dealer missed something during the recall.....specifically the clutch health test portion of the recall
I think youā€™re exactly right. Either the defective clutch was missed during the clutch health check thatā€™s called for in the first recall or the first recall wasnā€™t performed at all. The second recall only calls for a software reprogram of the instrument cluster and the pcm. Is there another recall besides the 2 Iā€™ve found?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
When the new trackbar with a design change to harder bushings came out, they changed the numerical p/n.

When the steering dampers were having quality issues and they were addressing those issues, they changed the alpha suffix (AA, AB, AC, etc)

When the aluminum steering gear box was discovered with excess backlash, they addressed it with tighter adjustments and retained the basic numerical p/n while revising the alpha suffix. When those efforts didn't seem to address the issue and the new cast iron steering gear box came along, it received a new basic numerical p/n.

Just generalizing from my aerospace engineering days, but Jeep appears to follow similarly. When engineering companies change numerical p/n vs alpha changes is really company policy and some discretionary judgement. But numerical changes usually signify a significant design change or a case where they want to ensure segregation within their own inventory/production system, while alpha changes are often "soft" (earlier letter IDs acceptable) cut-in for production and customer spares.

Sponsored

OP
OP
krweatherl

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It all depends on the dealership and the maintenance supervisor.

For our 2020 JLUR, I barely mentioned the replacement steering gearbox and they had me scheduled for a test drive.

They test drove it, then ordered my parts, and set up the work when they came in.

And honestly, there wasn't even anything wrong with the steering. I just didn't want a problem later. Peterson's in Nampa, ID ftw.
This was exactly my experience when I asked my dealership about the steering gear on my 2020 JTR. Not a problem, weā€™ll get the parts ordered. McCord Brothers, Longview Wa.
Jesica used a different dealership, one closer to where she lives.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
When the new trackbar with a design change to harder bushings came out, they changed the numerical p/n.

When the steering dampers were having quality issues and they were addressing those issues, they changed the alpha suffix (AA, AB, AC, etc)

When the aluminum steering gear box was discovered with excess backlash, they addressed it with tighter adjustments and retained the basic numerical p/n while revising the alpha suffix. When those efforts didn't seem to address the issue and the new cast iron steering gear box came along, it received a new basic numerical p/n.

Just generalizing from my aerospace engineering days, but Jeep appears to follow similarly. When engineering companies change numerical p/n vs alpha changes is really company policy and some discretionary judgement. But numerical changes usually signify a significant design change or a case where they want to ensure segregation within their own inventory/production system, while alpha changes are often "soft" (earlier letter IDs acceptable) cut-in for production and customer spares.
So in your experience the change in designation to "AD" would indicate new (revised hopefully) parts (in this case flywheel and plate?) in the 2021 models and newer?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It seems FCA/Stellantis may not have accurately identified the root cause of these failures.

Makes me wonder if the cause may be related to the hydraulic line/slave cylinder getting overheated by engine/exhaust heat radiation, causing a "vapor lock" in the hydraulic clutch system, expanding the volume of the fluid as it turns to gas and partially actuating the throwout bearing against the pressure plate. Just a suspicious thought. I don't even have a JL with a manual trans to look at.

The attached chart gives boiling point of brake fluid, with new/fresh fluid on the left and older fluid with moisture absorbed by %, to the right. The JL uses DOT 3 fluid, which is the lower curve on the chart.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground Brake fluid boiling point

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So in your experience the change in designation to "AD" would indicate new (revised hopefully) parts (in this case flywheel and plate?) in the 2021 models and newer?
Yes, some revision of something usually fairly minor.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It seems FCA/Stellantis may not have accurately identified the root cause of these failures.

Makes me wonder if the cause may be related to the hydraulic line/slave cylinder getting overheated by engine/exhaust heat radiation, causing a "vapor lock" in the hydraulic clutch system, expanding the volume of the fluid as it turns to gas and partially actuating the throwout bearing against the pressure plate. Just a suspicious thought. I don't even have a JL with a manual trans to look at.

The attached chart gives boiling point of brake fluid, with new/fresh fluid on the left and older fluid with moisture absorbed by %, to the right. The JL uses DOT 3 fluid, which is the lower curve on the chart.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground Brake fluid boiling point
If I had a manual trans JL, I'd probably want to know more about this suspicion and install some kind of temperature monitoring on the hydraulic clutch line and slave cylinder. I'm pretty sure our member Carbon Steel would. He's definitely a "more data" guy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
krweatherl

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hereā€™s the clearest screenshots I could pull from her dads short video when it was first loaded up onto the tow truck.
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground 60F4D14E-DA4C-4DC3-9FBE-D48D7B4B117F
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground C53B155F-156A-4570-A29E-44E9A1E82769
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground 23B83CCF-4C86-46C4-BCEF-8A0807DD9089
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground 30DEE221-4994-4418-A77B-55FA73350F22
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground A6995D79-09D2-49E3-B7A2-0B353670B7B6
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground 15232749-5B54-491F-991F-44803AF75410
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground CD89FB12-39AB-466B-B5B8-FFCAF5405048
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground 87B7E883-3EAE-4460-BD64-6DAF6B7D1758
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground 3A68D456-AA58-44CF-BD7C-C29DFD8935DF

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
Thatā€™s a great idea, installation would be no cost to her as Iā€™d be more than willing to install it. Hoping to see her made whole, or even more than whole very soon.
Mine too? :angel:

(I'm gonna gamble with my stock 21 clutch for a while and the Centerforce is backordered anyway, but I have no place up here in Seattle to lift and tear down such components. The goopiest I've been able to do is the rear differential on my YJ, seal and fluids, and routine mess on it's drum brakes; these days I have no place for anything more than tire rotations and oil changes. Sigh. But I use my torque wrench on my lugs so there's that.)

I'll bring you a few 10mm sockets. :giggle:

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Hereā€™s the clearest screenshots I could pull from her dads short video when it was first loaded up onto the tow truck.
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground 3A68D456-AA58-44CF-BD7C-C29DFD8935DF
Those are some gnarly images. I get why a woman posted early in this thread that she was going to sell her manual and get an automatic. Or maybe she was being facetious? Whatever, this situation is ridiculous. I have had many cars with manual transmissions that never required this kind of concern.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Those are some gnarly images. I get why a woman posted early in this thread that she was going to sell her manual and get an automatic. Or maybe she was being facetious? Whatever, this situation is ridiculous. I have had many cars with manual transmissions that never required this kind of concern.
That was me and I'm serious. I've reached out to a few dealers. Just going over the details of how we are going to manage with 1 car until it comes in. I won't drive it anymore.

Last edited:

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation