krweatherl

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD 2021 4xe 2020 JTR (sold)
The apples don't fall far from the tree Pop! She really does seem like she's got it all together and I suspect that her Dad does too!
Sorry I’m just the observing uncle so I can’t take credit. But her mom (my sister) and dad can, I’ll pass the credit in to them.
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Well then the whole family is pretty great!!!! You were waiting to install a stubby for her, That tells me there is love all around Her! When I read a post like this one and then the responses. I am always reminded first how precious life is and the random act of something so foolish like this clutch issue being the one factor that could devastate someone's life. Second, the ripple effect of so many loved ones who we care for and nurture. Specially someone as lovely as your niece! U really can see it in her smile!!! I say this with all the best...May she have all that her heart desires...she deserves nothing but the best, and I say that because you can see she doesn't expect it! As you stated she works hard for it.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I’m thinking you’re onto something, she said it was cruising just fine, no slippage, traffic slowed so she pushed in the clutch to downshift and the petal stayed on the floor. She used her foot to pull it back up, pushed it again and that’s when the other motorist (a volunteer firefighter) got her attention.
I can envision a scenario where a clutch fluid leak ignites a fire, spreads immediately to the throw-out bearing slave cylinder, that heat compromises the rear main seal and you’ve got all the fuel needed to create a real problem.
Sounds like a master or slave cylinder failure. Whoever said operator's fault is wrong. It was literally at the shop the day before, they own this particular failure. I'm guessing comprehensive insurance is going to cover this??

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Here’s a pick of my bell housing.

Can someone put a rag in Omarius’s mouth?

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground 9223CD81-F491-48D4-A626-96AD9A968DE6

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground 9223CD81-F491-48D4-A626-96AD9A968DE6
What exploded, and tore through the bell housing? Flywheel, clutch friction disk, or pressure plate? Was the friction disk worn down to the rivets?

Sponsored

OP
OP
krweatherl

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone in the know have an idea of how many of these instances will need to occur before its properly dealt with?
Hopefully history doesn’t have to repeat itself and the authorities don’t let it go as far as the Ford Pinto fiery infernos did. With the Pinto it took multiple families dying horrific deaths as their cars burned.
We were within seconds seeing a repeat here. This fire developed so rapidly that within seconds of getting herself and her dogs out the entire Jeep and the grass in the freeway median were engulfed in flames. That one observant motorist who alerted her to the emergency developing under her feet gave her the time needed to pull over and escape unharmed.

Is history really going to have to repeat itself? The manufacturer and the dealerships are driven by the bottom line so they’re not going to do anymore than they are required to. (Recalling 40,000 clutches @ $2500 est = $100,000,000). I was initially hopeful that the evidence would be so compelling that the insurance company would go after the manufacturer and/or dealership but the reality is that they’re also driven by the bottom dollar and it’s probably less expensive to buy 1 burned Jeep than it is to go against a giant. There is the option of a class action suit but then again those affected by this problem are a really small group and even if successful it would take years. That leaves the NHTSA. What does it take to get the NHTSA to move?

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Man she's a trooper.. headed over to get her 1st(?) mod installed and this happens. Is she going to go for another Jeep? Another clutch? Or is she scarred from this

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
To those thinking about trading out their entire Jeep, I thought the Centerforce clutch was the standard solution. I'd rather go that route than a whole new vehicle with all its potential troubles.

:crying:

Notnoway

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If your manual jeep doesnt have the recall is it safe or there's a chances fire can still happen?

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I’m not going to quote any one of the kind comments because you all deserve a thank you, it means a lot to Jesica. That you all could see so much of her spirit from 2 photos is amazing, she truly is a remarkable young woman who doesn’t know “quit”. A girl who tried out for and made it onto her Jr high boys football team, who tried out for and made it onto the Jr high and sr high wrestling teams, qualifying and competing for the state championship even with a torn ACL. One who gives up a large chunk of her winters coaching the girls wrestling team. A young woman who put herself through school to become a licensed massage therapist and then has the courage to be self employed in that profession. The one who on her own at 24 achieved her dream of owning a Jeep when she purchased her brand new 2018 JLU. And the one who can force a smile while her dream burns in the background. Yes Amazingly many of you saw that spirit through 2 photographs. I’m looking forward to helping her realize her dream when she gets her next jeep.

As for the one suspected of being a Stellantis mole, I was inclined to agree until I took a look the comments he made in the thread about women jeepers. Now I’m just convinced that this isn’t the only thing he’s clueless about.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rs-viewed-as-lesser.98176/page-3#post-2031718
Your niece sounds like a remarkable young lady. I’m glad she’s ok.
no clutch should explode like this. I’ve Known plenty of people beat the living crap out of their jeeps and never had it explode.
This is a disgrace and I hope that something works to make them accountable. They should offer to replace the entire clutches in all manuals or at least reimburse those who had major repair costs. Has anyone reach out to 60 minutes?

Last edited:

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
To those thinking about trading out their entire Jeep, I thought the Centerforce clutch was the standard solution. I'd rather go that route than a whole new vehicle with all its potential troubles.

:crying:
I was thinking of putting the center force clutch in. I know the prior version of the CF clutch had some rattle issues but I think the new version supposedly fixed that. It’s really too soon to tell. There’s also another brand of clutch to fix this issue.
I can’t help but wonder though If something else will happen? I would hate to find that out after spending $2500 or so to have a clutch installed. Maybe there’s more to it than just the pressure plate.
it’s just too much aggravation And worry.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I was thinking of putting the center force clutch in. I know the prior version of the CF clutch had some rattle issues but I think the new version supposedly fixed that. It’s really too soon to tell. There’s also another brand of clutch to fix this issue.
I can’t help but wonder though If something else will happen? I would hate to find that out after spending $2500 or so to have a clutch installed. Maybe there’s more to it than just the pressure plate.
it’s just too much aggravation And worry.
Mines been great feels like a whole new jeep and yeah I wish I’d only spent 2500 haha

OP
OP
krweatherl

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man she's a trooper.. headed over to get her 1st(?) mod installed and this happens. Is she going to go for another Jeep? Another clutch? Or is she scarred from this
This was actually about her third mod, I’d previously installed the front bumper off of my rubicon JT and installed a 2 1/2 level lift for her and a set of led headlights and fog lights.
Sponsored