Sponsored

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Quite frankly, for a clutch to generate that kind of heat, there would have to be a large, sustained discrepancy between rpms and speed, i.e. slippage. You can blame the dealer for faulty clutch, or slave , or whatever it was, but the Jeep burning to the ground is squarely on the shoulders of the operator.
Why are people so stupid these days? Amazed by folks like you who give such bullshit opinions. Watch the video again, you'll see the clutch pressure plate exploded and split the transmission causing the fire. If I was you, I'd edit my post and apologize.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Fire (1 Day After Recall) Burns 2018 JLU to the Ground jlfire.JPG
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Why are people so stupid these days? Amazed by folks like you who give such bullshit opinions. Watch the video again, you'll see the clutch pressure plate exploded and split the transmission causing the fire. If I was you, I'd edit my post and apologize.

jlfire.JPG
Lol, the internet is the land of "no consequences". Want to be a complete dirtbag and shitty human being? You can do that on the internet. I mean obviously this person was able to glean every piece of information from this young lady's terrible day that they're were able to pile on and lay complete blame on her for this issue. No need to take into account that service was literally done the previous day. Nope. Mr Internet Know-it-all has it all figured out.

Sigh. Thank fuck dogs aren't dickheads and can't type. Lol.

Last edited:

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Well thatā€™s it. Iā€™m getting rid of my manual and will be ordering an auto.
That's a little bit of a knee jerk. There are literally 1000s in the road not catching fire.

Don't ever look into plane maintenance, you'll never fly again.

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
You can do that?
That must be mega expensive. I love my Mojito but Iā€™m very afraid to drive it.
And the Jeep mechanic I spoke to wasnā€™t too crazy about putting in a centerforce.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Are you ok? You keep using acronyms like people don't have google. It's probably easier to just say you're an aircraft mechanic and I somehow offended you with my comment.

I can start using acronyms from my line of work as well. Unless you're a CTP though, you really won't have a clue.
(This is fun!)

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Glad driver and dogs are OK. Either the clutch and or flywheel grenaded, shattered the bell housing, shredded the hydrolic lines, and puuff.

I would love to forensicly diagnose what happened here, including measuring the pressure plate thickness to see if the disk was worn down or something else let loose.

Hopefully NTSB will eventually get involved and get FCA to recall and replace these faulty clutch/flywheel assembly.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Quite frankly, for a clutch to generate that kind of heat, there would have to be a large, sustained discrepancy between rpms and speed, i.e. slippage. You can blame the dealer for faulty clutch, or slave , or whatever it was, but the Jeep burning to the ground is squarely on the shoulders of the operator.
Do you work for Stellantis legal? Sorry had to ask.

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
Glad no one was injured.

If the hydraulics were gone, is the default position with the clutch engaged, or would there be a lack of holding force against the pressure plate? If the computer thought it was in neutral, the software may have failed to count the difference in rotational speeds, and it may have failed miles earlier. Given the short time from pedal failure to fully engulfed, it would have needed to spin up 800F and be "too fast" for the software to detect.

Still having a couple years invested and being comfortable with your vehicle. :crying:

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. No. What an asinine thing to say.
Sponsored