Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
You should always be in 4LO when crawling
Fair enough, but your noting of my sub-par wheeling skills doesn’t change the fact that this clutch is junk. I suspect that Stellantis is just biding their time, by doing nothing, until the manual option goes away for good. That day is nigh.
Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Fair enough, but your noting of my sub-par wheeling skills doesn’t change the fact that this clutch is junk. I suspect that Stellantis is just biding their time, by doing nothing, until the manual option goes away for good. That day is nigh.
Oh yeah not defending the clutch, I have a CF2 in my JL because of the issues, just it’s a best practice, it’s much easier on your rig

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Oh yeah not defending the clutch, I have a CF2 in my JL because of the issues, just it’s a best practice, it’s much easier on your rig
And how is the CF2 performing for you? Details!!!! Please!!!!

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So just drove back with the CF2 installed. Definitely smoother engagement, no bucking and stuff really nice. It needs to break in for a bit, but brand new it pulls nice from stop no gas needed. Definitely much harder pedal force needed and the uptake from the floor is immediate, will take some getting used to! But the guy said those will loosen up a bit as it breaks in. Feels like you got a stout clutch underneath you now! The tech said the driveline is built like a tank, never seen so many bolts! I said great, but they should have put a real clutch in it too! Again feels great put much different animal than stock so be prepared to upgrade your stick driving skills!

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
So just drove back with the CF2 installed. Definitely smoother engagement, no bucking and stuff really nice. It needs to break in for a bit, but brand new it pulls nice from stop no gas needed. Definitely much harder pedal force needed and the uptake from the floor is immediate, will take some getting used to! But the guy said those will loosen up a bit as it breaks in. Feels like you got a stout clutch underneath you now! The tech said the driveline is built like a tank, never seen so many bolts! I said great, but they should have put a real clutch in it too! Again feels great put much different animal than stock so be prepared to upgrade your stick driving skills!
Mine loosened up alot doesn’t feel that much different than stock now, definitely more force required than before but not close to what it was when I first drove it home, I think you’ll be very pleased at where it nets out

Sponsored

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine loosened up alot doesn’t feel that much different than stock now, definitely more force required than before but not close to what it was when I first drove it home, I think you’ll be very pleased at where it nets out
Ok so did yours engage immediately off the floor when new? That took me by surprise! It's like the horses really wanted outta the barn! And yes I'd wager you need 2-3 times the force at least to disengage the clutch when it's new, hopefully that eases up a bit. But engagement is nice and smooth now, easy smooth uptake area now. Where is your engagement point now that yours is broken in compared to like 3/4 way up of OEM?

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Ok so did yours engage immediately off the floor when new? That took me by surprise! It's like the horses really wanted outta the barn! And yes I'd wager you need 2-3 times the force at least to disengage the clutch when it's new, hopefully that eases up a bit. But engagement is nice and smooth now, easy smooth uptake area now. Where is your engagement point now that yours is broken in compared to like 3/4 way up of OEM?
Yes i got surprised too, it loosened up about 100 miles in. The engagement point is maybe 3/4, everything you are experiencing is normal.

red.radar

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SuperDuty
Reading the thread from start to finish. I find it interesting that the bell housing has a hole in it. In my line of engineering when the enclosure of the product is breached that is a safety issue. Things have to designed so they fail safely. At least that is the UL viewpoint.

The idea that the clutch is a wear item and is the source of the failure should be irrelevant. The vehicle should be designed that a wearable component does not cause the product to grenade.

Have there been clutch failures in which the bell housing failed and there wasn't a fire? The source of the fire from shrapnel should be random. So there should be people who have clutch detonation but no fire.

I was heading down the path of getting my First Jeep with a manual. But I guess now I need to pony up the $4k for an Automatic. Which I hear is really good, but it wasn't worth $4k to me.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
I was heading down the path of getting my First Jeep with a manual. But I guess now I need to pony up the $4k for an Automatic. Which I hear is really good, but it wasn't worth $4k to me.
I just had a CF I put in our JL. It is such an improvement that if I were to buy a new jeep today, I would change the clutch within a month.

Last edited:

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Reading the thread from start to finish. I find it interesting that the bell housing has a hole in it. In my line of engineering when the enclosure of the product is breached that is a safety issue. Things have to designed so they fail safely. At least that is the UL viewpoint.

The idea that the clutch is a wear item and is the source of the failure should be irrelevant. The vehicle should be designed that a wearable component does not cause the product to grenade.

Have there been clutch failures in which the bell housing failed and there wasn't a fire? The source of the fire from shrapnel should be random. So there should be people who have clutch detonation but no fire.

FWIW I grew up on manuals, and as a valet through out college I had nothing but disdain for automatics.

That said today's automatics are magical and I would never go back to a stick. My JLUR is my daily driver, and it is great around town, on the highway and performed flawlessly in Moab. I believe our BMW X3 M has a variant of this transmission and it also is awesome to drive

Sponsored

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara

Our FB page said there was a class action suit going on but they do not include those of us that did not experience death or injury (like, wtf?). I had 3 firms decline to take my case.

red.radar

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SuperDuty
I just had a CH I put in our JL. It is such an improvement that if I were to buy a new jeep today, I would change the clutch within a month.
It’s a fair point and when discussing it with the household procurement officer (wife). If we really wanted the manual we would just replace the clutch day one. However with the auto being really good It just doesn’t feel like it’s worth the hassle. Spend the money on the ZF trans rather than upgraded single piece clutch. Still haven’t finalized my decision but I am leaning auto.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
It’s a fair point and when discussing it with the household procurement officer (wife). If we really wanted the manual we would just replace the clutch day one. However with the auto being really good It just doesn’t feel like it’s worth the hassle. Spend the money on the ZF trans rather than upgraded single piece clutch. Still haven’t finalized my decision but I am leaning auto.
My JT is an auto and I prefer it to a manual. But the JL is my wife’s and she prefers the manual. It works out.

billychase1974

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUS
Occupation
Senior Corporate IT Analyst
I just had a CF I put in our JL. It is such an improvement that if I were to buy a new jeep today, I would change the clutch within a month.
If you don't mind me asking what clutch did you end up going with etc? I am wanting to change mine out soon. 2018 JLU