First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Absolutely no more words for you Jeep.
47,000 mi Jeep JLU 2018
Bought it brand new, one of the first batches when they came out.

I driving get to away for the weekend and I was about 2 hours from my home on my trip when I went to pull over to the side of the highway to put my windows on.
Clutch completely falls to the floor after I engaged it and stop. I turn off the car.
I see if I can pull the clutch up and it comes back up. Clutch is slightly harder to compress and the brake is hard.
Car will not start.
I can shift through all the gears without engaging the clutch.

After waiting 4 hours in the heat with no AC, I pay the $150 for a tow out of pocket and drop the car off at the nearest dealership in Burlington WA.
They need approval for 4 hours at $150 to look into the transmission and state that they will not provide rental/loaner, only if it is under warranty.
Clutch is a wear item and not covered.

I tell them about the recall and they say that its a computer item and not related to the actual clutch... If only they could read these forums.
Chrysler refuses to help me with any form of loaner as well.

It will now be 8 days before they say they can even look at the clutch. Devastating. They think it may be the pressure plate. Funny, the recall for the clutch is about the pressure plate overheating.
Rental cars are about $190 for the cheapest option in Seattle right now and can not afford that, even for a few days.
I am about to lose my job, I need to drive 20 plus miles to look at sites and the office is not on a bus line. Not to even consider the lack of sales I have produced.

This clutch is absolutely a faulty, ineffective item. I called my local dealer when I heard about the recall and he said there was no resolution so I put my name down to be called when there was resolution.
I had to replace the clutch for about $1400 back when it was at 15,000-20,000 miles after many DREADED BURNING SMELLS. Was told that some people "drive harder than others" and it was a wear item. LOL ok.
Tell that to my previous 3 cars with manuals (2009 toyota tacoma, bmw e30, 2003 dodge ram) that I never had to touch the clutch in... :(
I had to take the clutch in for another recall about 10,000 miles after that, putting me out further, clutch surprisingly felt better than when I bought it brand new.

This is unrelated to other issues, such as being stranded on a service road when my jeep wouldn't start, towing my jeep into the dealership two separate times only to be told it was a "computer update".

This was my first brand new car that I saved for a while to purchase, and to be continually told I am a "hard driver", get no support or resolution, is beyond me. No words.
If they make me pay thousands for a new OEM clutch with reimbursement or help on my rental car while I lose my job... I do not know what I will do.
Any advice helps.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I understand your situation and feel for you. However, I’m not sure what you’re expecting an out of state dealership to do for you on a 2018 with 47,000 miles that is out of warranty.

Send a PM to @JeepCares on here and see if they can escalate with the dealer so that your vehicle can be looked at sooner.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Unfortunately clutch discs and pressure plates are wear items like brake rotors and pads. That being said, my shortest life of a clutch was 145,000 on a '95 Chevy S-10 and that was due to a seized throw out bearing. I currently have almost 270,000 on a Honda Civic with the original clutch.

Given the fact that you aren't under warranty I'd bid the job out to reputable transmission shops. Your dealer will charge you the most amount of money to replace exactly what you had. A transmission shop may give you more options, there are people here who have swapped out for a centreforce clutch and have had good results. I'd consider a single friction clutch and DIY if mine failed, but I do things like that.

All the best on getting your Jeep fixed.
Sponsored