Clutch - can barely feel it.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Reminds me of my old Kawasaki 750 triple. I put a Barnett clutch in it and one night a friend wanted to ride it down the strand in Hermosa Beach. I was riding a 750 Honda. We pulled up to a stop sign and I took off. At the next stop sign, he wasn't there. I looked back and he was pulled to the side. I went back. He said the clutch was so strong he cramped his hand and couldn't release the clutch. LMAO. Be careful what you wish for.
Sponsored

jimw630

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2001 TJ, 1999 TJ, 1969 CJ5, 1950 CJ3A, 1948 CJ2A
I hated it at first, it is so light. It took me a good month to get used to it because of how soft it is. Now I get into go drive the TJ and and it feels like I'm pushing down on an old rusty lever that hasn't moved in a long time lol.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
I'll echo what everyone else is saying.

I drove a 2016 VW GTI for three years before getting my JLR and the clutch in the GTI was at least twice as heavy. I've only owned manual vehicles and the clutch on the GTI felt about right.

The clutch in the JLR is VERY light, but I don't know if that's a bad thing. After 1200 miles I am starting to get used to it.

saltyaggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Nearly 30k miles on my 6MT and I still have a bit of trouble gauging the engagement point. Coming from a MT medium duty truck background, this is definitely the lightest clutch I've ever experienced.

MojoHanky

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU V6 6M ($299 lease and driven like stolen), BMW 335D (400whp/600wtq)
I'll echo what everyone else is saying.

I drove a 2016 VW GTI for three years before getting my JLR and the clutch in the GTI was at least twice as heavy. I've only owned manual vehicles and the clutch on the GTI felt about right.

The clutch in the JLR is VERY light, but I don't know if that's a bad thing. After 1200 miles I am starting to get used to it.
Wow, I had a 2016 GTI as well and my clutch was super light; even lighter than my JLU. Was yours the original? I ended up removing the assist spring and removing the clutch bleeder that VW puts in at the factory (to impede fluid flow and make it even lighter) with the ECS bleeder block (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/6-speed-clutch-bleeder-block/001284ecs01kt/) to make it feel more like a sporty car clutch.

As far as the JLU, sure, the modern clutch is lighter than days of yore, but it's a great feeling transmission for a Jeep. I love the throw distance. Only issues I've had at all are in reverse. The gearing makes it a bit twitchy. The one and only stall I've had was in reverse - lol.

Sponsored

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
I've been shopping to get back in a Wrangler and was leaning towards the auto because of all the issues I had with my '11 JK's clutch and trans (plus I have a bad knee) but if the JL is a light as you guys say it is I'm gonna have to go back and test drive one lol Maybe save myself $1500

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I've been shopping to get back in a Wrangler and was leaning towards the auto because of all the issues I had with my '11 JK's clutch and trans (plus I have a bad knee) but if the JL is a light as you guys say it is I'm gonna have to go back and test drive one lol Maybe save myself $1500
It's light in the beginning but 4200 miles in it's just as normal as any car I've driven.

MojoHanky

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU V6 6M ($299 lease and driven like stolen), BMW 335D (400whp/600wtq)
Don't test drive one. You'll end up with another monthly payment.

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
It's light in the beginning but 4200 miles in it's just as normal as any car I've driven.
I can deal with "normal", my JK I had to guess when it was going to engage and it felt heavier then a freightliner lol

Don't test drive one. You'll end up with another monthly payment.
But I'd SAVE $1500 (by spending $40k)!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
At the risk of being keel hauled by this manual trans group, I would also suggest you look hard at the 8 speed auto. It has been the best and smartest shifting auto I've owned. I really like this trans.

Sponsored

Chris.steger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
I am curious if people are still having issues with their soft clutches???
I have a 2020 JL and am sitting at 9,960 miles... I am so over this clutch. It drives horrible. It shifts horrible.
Itā€™s so soft. Is there a way to fix this?
I had a 2018 JK and a 2017 JKU... They both were manuals and drove perfect.
Any help would be greatly appreciated....

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have a 2020 JL and am sitting at 9,960 miles... I am so over this clutch. It drives horrible. It shifts horrible.
Hi @Chris.steger ! Sorry to hear that you're having concerns with your 2020 JL. Are you currently working with a Jeep dealer to get this addressed? Feel free to send our team a private message if you'd like us to look into this for you.

Courtney
Jeep Cares

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your 2020 has an entirely different trans/clutch package than your 17.
I've driven many different trans packages and every one was vastly different...even between cars of the same type/year. The clutch IS very light. I have gotten used to mine and I kind of like it.....very easy on my beat up left knee. You could possibly stiffen up the feel by changing out the pedal return springs. But it is actually a great trans/clutch set up.

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at 18k and the pressure is different now. You can actually feel it. It will get better the more you drive it.
Sponsored

Last edited: