Sponsored

Clutch - can barely feel it.

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove an automatic jl and jk a few months ago. I test drove a manual transmission today and when pressing on the clutch it feels so light that it seems as if it's not there. I had to really pay attention in order to get it moving. It never shut off but it might take some getting used to. My other manual cars always had that feeling that I was pressing on something.

Does anybody else have experience with the clutch feeling like its so easy to step on?
Sponsored

Last edited:

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Yeah, that's the trouble with the HYDRAULIC clutch's--

We're used to HD WEBER type clutch's in the past with STRONG pressures and we just built up our left leg to be able to operate them quickly-

Don't sweatit--just use lighter shoes and you'll get used toit--

W.E.

JIMBO

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Definitely the lightest clutch I’ve ever felt. However it was quite easy to use and the take up is actually pretty good. Doesn’t seem to only engage at the very top like some do.

Periokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLUR and some others.
I noticed the same thing. I have driven manual all my driving life. I have never felt such a light clutch. Maybe a bigger return spring would help.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Jeep gets away with that because there is very little torque. So they can use light spring rates on the disc.

Sponsored

KNGOSRW

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR , 2016 Triumph Street Twin
Let me tell ya, coming from my old 1995 240sx clutch to my now new JLUR clutch was a bit shocking. During the test drive (drove a manual Sport and Rubicon) I did not particularly like the clutch, but what won me over was the tight gear engagement and smooth transitions. After I rode off the dealership and a few hours later I become 100 percent used to the personality of the new clutch and found that 'oh so sweet' spot. This machine is AMAZING!!!

C7-JL

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 911 GTS, 18 ZR2, 18 JLU Rubicon, 18 Road King Special, 17 Monster 1200R
You sure it's not just an assist spring?

I haven't bothered on my C7's but in my 2011 Grand Sport and the 2015 Mustang GT I had, I removed the assist spring from the clutch pedal. These springs work to remove the weight of the pedal and once removed the pedal got quite a bit heavier and easier to consistently know where the friction zone started.

I haven't seen under the dash on a manual JL, but if you look up at the pedal box from the footwell, I bet there's a spring on the clutch pedal.

This is what it looks like on a C6:

IMG_0209Rmed.jpg

and the Mustang:

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightest clutch i have ever used. Far lighter than some pretty anemic cars ive had.
I wish my porsche's clutch was this light. It is much nicer on my old left knee

Chinarider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Sahara, 2018 JLU Rubicon,
Just curious how original posters' clutches are feeling after putting more miles on them?

I also noticed how light the clutch felt off the dealer lot. I've got about 500 miles on the JLUR & the setup is feeling better after starting to get broken in. Clutch is starting to stiffen up a bit & shifts are feeling smoother. Take-up feels a bit more forgiving, too.

I know it's normal for a new clutch to feel light until it's broken in. Just wondering how others are enjoying theirs at this point.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Just wondering how others are enjoying theirs at this point.
4,000+ miles and loving mine. I sit in stop and go traffic for at least an hour each way to/from work, and the light clutch is fantastic for preventing fatigue.

Sponsored

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have 11,000 miles on mine and absolutely love the clutch. It’s got a great feel and the take-up is appropriate. I’ve driven MTs my whole life (I’m 45) and this is the best I have ever had. I have to be careful or my wife will steal my JLUR on the weekends since she loves driving it so much.

MoparTH

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray Rubicon Unlimited
That's the only thing I don't like about my manual JL, the new 6 speed is terrific, but the clutch feels like they used a master cylinder from a Ram 3500 ! Feels strange going from the clutch feel of my Challenger or my wife's Genesis to the JL.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I'm super-particular about shifter tactility; I always change the shift bushings and shift knob to tailor how the shifter feels. But I've never really cared much about the clutch feel; just get used to how it engages and forget about it. At most I've installed a clutch stop to remove some wasted clutch throw.

But I've had heavy clutches (BMW), super-light clutches ('91 F-250), and everything in between, and never really cared one way or another.

webibeay

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler - 2017 Grand Cherokee
Glad it’s not just me.... just traded my 2007 6-speed wrangler and picked up a 2019 6-speed this eve. OReally does take some getting used to. Thinking about my old one, feels like I was rowing a boat compared to this . Love the feel and short shifts

OP
OP
Jeepney18

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Glad it’s not just me.... just traded my 2007 6-speed wrangler and picked up a 2019 6-speed this eve. OReally does take some getting used to. Thinking about my old one, feels like I was rowing a boat compared to this . Love the feel and short shifts
It gets better after you break it in. 6 months later it's like any other clutch .
Sponsored