Clutch and pressure plate issues

TroyMclure

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn
Well, there "appears" to have been a hydraulic issue, there "appears" to be a flywheel issue, and there "appears" to be a clutch issue. That seems multifaceted.

The lawsuit is for 2018-2021, I have a 23 on a rail car heading my direction so yeah, hopefully the problems are fixed.
Now I would be speculating, but the last year for the lawsuit could be because Jeep claims its recalls fix the problem, and implemented them at the factory after the 2021 model year (not that they necessarily fixed the root problem). Or it could be because 2021 was the last model year of someone in the lawsuit. Or both. This is from that article:

"The automaker argues it provided documented proof the clutch recalls, performed for free, fixed the clutch defects."

I would like to see that proof. What are the chances Jeep is willing to share it with the general public?

As for not referencing previous threads, thanks for the heads up I'll do some more reading. This one popped up I had some thoughts, I figured I've used my left foot for the last 30+ years, I was bored I typed some thoughts. Sorry I got your feathers ruffled 🙂

Oh, just curious, do you have a MT Wrangler?
I don't have a Wrangler. I was looking at buying one, and would prefer a manual (my current car is stick). So I did some internet due diligence, looking at people's opinions and potential problems. Every car is going to have some problem(s) that is common across a model year. But when I started seeing the threads about the exploding clutch (most of them on this site), that gave me pause. The fact that people were having it happen on cars that had both recalls done, coupled with Jeep's response, bothered me. And I would have bought used, putting me in the 2018-2021 problem years.

Of course it sounds like the majority of MTs are ok. Hope you have fun with your new Wrangler.
Sponsored

Reactions: LKG

Mfdaly1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Hella
Vehicle Showcase
I had to replace my clutch at 30,000 miles for $3,300. After 2 recalls!
First clutch ever to go on me after 40years of manual driving.
They wouldn't cover it...criminal...irresponsible. Should've bought the auto.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT 6MT Sport & 2023 JL 2 Door 6MT Sport
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
Just want to point out and admit my previous comments on this thread are WRONG. Ignore them lol

TeleJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6sp M
I had to replace my clutch at 30,000 miles for $3,300. After 2 recalls!
First clutch ever to go on me after 40years of manual driving.
They wouldn't cover it...criminal...irresponsible. Should've bought the auto.
Likewise! Mine failed at 35k miles after 2 recalls and $3300 to fix. I’ve driven sticks for 52 years and never have worn out a clutch. My replacement clutch was factory parts so it will be interesting to see what the fix is. Mine started slipping during normal interstate driving in 4th, 5th, and 6th gears when lightly accelerating. I noticed rpm gain when accelerating on level or uphill highway driving. I’ve only done mild off road driving and never had it slip or overheat.

Sponsored

Mfdaly1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Hella
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, and the dealers all play dumb to it, like: Gee, Stellantis won't do anything about it.". My 7th, and last Jeep, sadly...

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
Well, there "appears" to have been a hydraulic issue, there "appears" to be a flywheel issue, and there "appears" to be a clutch issue. That seems multifaceted.

The lawsuit is for 2018-2021, I have a 23 on a rail car heading my direction so yeah, hopefully the problems are fixed.

As for not referencing previous threads, thanks for the heads up I'll do some more reading. This one popped up I had some thoughts, I figured I've used my left foot for the last 30+ years, I was bored I typed some thoughts. Sorry I got your feathers ruffled 🙂

Oh, just curious, do you have a MT Wrangler?
It's the pressure plate that is failing and creating shrapnel. A flywheel is usually very strong thick steel and the clutch plate is probably just a thin steel disc. Neither of those are prone to becoming projectiles. The pressure plate is cast for whatever odd reason. That is not ideal for something that spins rapidly and sees large changes in temperature at the same time.

Actman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKUR, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
President and head cheerleader at ACT
It's the pressure plate that is failing and creating shrapnel. A flywheel is usually very strong thick steel and the clutch plate is probably just a thin steel disc. Neither of those are prone to becoming projectiles. The pressure plate is cast for whatever odd reason. That is not ideal for something that spins rapidly and sees large changes in temperature at the same time.
After evaluating the clutch/flywheel design, I am afraid it is not the pressure plate's fault, at least not directly. I have seen failure photos of the pressure plate, floater plate and secondary mass of the dual mass flywheel. The casting material for these components is industry norm. The design, material, and construction should be enough to handle normal use. However for whatever reason, clutches are being severely unintentionally overheated to the point of failure. There are a few possible reasons for this.

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
After evaluating the clutch/flywheel design, I am afraid it is not the pressure plate's fault, at least not directly. I have seen failure photos of the pressure plate, floater plate and secondary mass of the dual mass flywheel. The casting material for these components is industry norm. The design, material, and construction should be enough to handle normal use. However for whatever reason, clutches are being severely unintentionally overheated to the point of failure. There are a few possible reasons for this.
Since when have Jeeps seen "normal "use .

Actman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok. The pressure plate is the shrapnel though, correct? I've seen the friction surfaces come off of a clutch but it was really old and would not cause any damage. Hopefully the flywheel is at least machined from plate and not cast as well.

Actman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ok. The pressure plate is the shrapnel though, correct? I've seen the friction surfaces come off of a clutch but it was really old and would not cause any damage. Hopefully the flywheel is at least machined from plate and not cast as well.
The pressure plate face, floater plate and 2nd mass of the flywheel are all cast as with almost all clutches/flywheels. Castings come in different types and grades. The photo attached is of an inferior OEM cast flywheel (different application) as an example. The castings used for the JL/JT are of made of much better material, but everything has its limits. I will have a more complete explanation in a coming thread, if I ever find time to finish it.

DSC02715.jpg

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The pressure plate face, floater plate and 2nd mass of the flywheel are all cast as with almost all clutches/flywheels. Castings come in different types and grades. The photo attached is of an inferior OEM cast flywheel (different application) as an example. The castings used for the JL/JT are of made of much better material, but everything has its limits. I will have a more complete explanation in a coming thread, if I ever find time to finish it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch and pressure plate issues DSC02715
Thanks for the info. I see how the flywheel is more of a sandwich of parts than a solid piece. Definitely an odd design compared to tried and true setup with crank pilot bearing and tranny input shaft interface.

Actman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the info. I see how the flywheel is more of a sandwich of parts than a solid piece. Definitely an odd design compared to tried and true setup with crank pilot bearing and tranny input shaft interface.
It's commonplace in late model vehicles, but I am not a fan, especially in the Jeep.

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Do you think LUK wanted the the "hollow" floater plate ,or was that something FCA wanted ?
Sponsored