Clutch and pressure plate issues

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Why did you guys chose to keep a light weight flywheel option ? and is the pedal pressure with your system less then Centerforce ?
Sponsored

Actman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKUR, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
President and head cheerleader at ACT
Why did you guys chose to keep a light weight flywheel option ? and is the pedal pressure with your system less then Centerforce ?
In addition to the increased inertia of our JP6 kits, we wanted to give Jeep owners the option to stick with near stock inertia of our JP5 kits if they desired. Personally I think the heavier option fits the JL better even in stock applications. Interesting to note, I have a customer requesting a customized lightweight option because quickest engine response is what they are looking for for their particular use.

It's subjective, but ours feels more "normal" to me than the stock clutch, which is super light and vague. I haven't tested the clutch system from our friends over at Centerforce.

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I would think that a more stock like , inertia would require more slippage and reduce the friction plate life span . And i seems Centerforce had to re design and supply the whole Master /Slave to work with their product . Yet you guys seem to believe the stock setup will be fine with yours .

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
This appears to be the most founded opinion I have heard since it appears to be based on more than speculation (as I admittedly have been doing).

Thank you.
Resting your foot on the clutch is def a big no no with a MT for sure, especially as light as this one is. I've taught a couple younger guys how to drive our delivery truck and a couple of them did just that. Makes me wonder how many of the failures that caused.

Actman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKUR, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
President and head cheerleader at ACT
I would think that a more stock like , inertia would require more slippage and reduce the friction plate life span . And i seems Centerforce had to re design and supply the whole Master /Slave to work with their product . Yet you guys seem to believe the stock setup will be fine with yours .
Yes. We designed our clutch to work with the stock hydraulics.

Sponsored

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
It is good to see more options finally for the mess that they gave us in 2018 .

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Resting your foot on the clutch is def a big no no with a MT for sure, especially as light as this one is. I've taught a couple younger guys how to drive our delivery truck and a couple of them did just that. Makes me wonder how many of the failures that caused.
From memory, individuals who have said they had failures ont his forum have said that they were not resting their foot on the clutch. So we can believe them or not. I personally have no reason not to.

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From memory, individuals who have said they had failures ont his forum have said that they were not resting their foot on the clutch. So we can believe them or not. I personally have no reason not to.
Agreed but the guys I refered to did so not even realizing they were doing it. One of them even got pissy when I called him on it. Thank you for the insight, your assessments have made more sense than anything I've read to date.

I got the tracker email today that my Jeep is built and ready to ship, I can't wait to row some gears!

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I got the tracker email today that my Jeep is built and ready to ship, I can't wait to row some gears!
Congratulations.

Despite there being opportunities for Jeep to improve the clutch and gearing, there is still nothing like a Manual Transmission and I love my own JLR. Hope you find the same with yours!

btw It takes a couple thousand miles for the engine and transmission to loosen up and start purring so keep that in mind when you first take delivery.

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congratulations.

Despite there being opportunities for Jeep to improve the clutch and gearing, there is still nothing like a Manual Transmission and I love my own JLR. Hope you find the same with yours!

btw It takes a couple thousand miles for the engine and transmission to loosen up and start purring so keep that in mind when you first take delivery.
Actually this will be my second in less than a year, my brand new sport altitude was only 4 months old (6K miles) before it was totaled/murdered (long story). I loved the MT even with the 3.45's. Long story #2, insurance came through big time and I was able to order a JLUR. I'm confident the MT will be even better w/ 4.10's.

Thanks again for the insight

Sponsored

TroyMclure

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn
Agreed but the guys I refered to did so not even realizing they were doing it. One of them even got pissy when I called him on it.
And what was the result when they did this? Did the clutch on the truck explode, sending shrapnel through the transmission housing, like what has happened with many JL Wranglers?

Agreed, you should not rest your foot on the clutch while driving. But shouldn't the result just be the clutch disc wears out much, much faster?

Regardless, many of those who had the failure were experienced MT drivers.

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And what was the result when they did this? Did the clutch on the truck explode, sending shrapnel through the transmission housing, like what has happened with many JL Wranglers?

Agreed, you should not rest your foot on the clutch while driving. But shouldn't the result just be the clutch disc wears out much, much faster?

Regardless, many of those who had the failure were experienced MT drivers.
Of course not and yes is "should" just wear out the clutch prematurly. This appears to be a multifaceted issue I'm just wondeing if that could be one cause of the initial failure, not the grenading.

Reguardless, I can't wait untill mine is delivered, hopefully they've quietly fixed things.

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
In the near future I am hoping to "pull back the curtain" (so to speak) and start a new thread breaking down the attributes of the stock clutch systems to reduce the speculation. Hopefully it won't bore people too much with tech geek stuff.
Love to see a tech geek expose on the JL clutch.

TroyMclure

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn
This appears to be a multifaceted issue I'm just wondeing if that could be one cause of the initial failure, not the grenading.
I'm curious how you know this a multi-faceted issue, since no one knows the cause, and the fine people at Jeep aren't offering one. What do you mean by initial failure? In all the cases the only failure was an exploding clutch.

Do you have some insider information? Otherwise new threads like these are just offering speculation - things like people don't know how to drive a manual. But they don't reference the multitude of previous threads regarding the Wrangler JL exploding clutch. There are several.

Reguardless, I can't wait untill mine is delivered, hopefully they've quietly fixed things.
Hope isn't a good strategy. Jeep is too busy trying to quash lawsuits related to their shitty new clutch design.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2023/jeep-clutch-recall-class-action-lawsuit.shtml

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, there "appears" to have been a hydraulic issue, there "appears" to be a flywheel issue, and there "appears" to be a clutch issue. That seems multifaceted.

The lawsuit is for 2018-2021, I have a 23 on a rail car heading my direction so yeah, hopefully the problems are fixed.

As for not referencing previous threads, thanks for the heads up I'll do some more reading. This one popped up I had some thoughts, I figured I've used my left foot for the last 30+ years, I was bored I typed some thoughts. Sorry I got your feathers ruffled 🙂

Oh, just curious, do you have a MT Wrangler?
Sponsored