Sponsored

Clunk when flexing Rubi front axle offroad - normal? Sounds like a spring moving?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I've done probably hundreds of miles of trails in my JLR so far and have 2000 miles on the odo. I've had this sound since I bought the Jeep, whenever I take it wheeling, I get a loud springy "clunk" when the front axle is flexing from full driver's tire tuck to full passenger tire tuck. The electronic swaybar is disconnected in these scenarios.

I always thought it was normal since there's a whole lot of stuff moving a pretty good distance when you're flexing out the axle, but now I'm not sure. I've been under there and nothing looks abnormal or loose, but this is my first Wrangler so I'm not necessarily going to spot a small issue. Could there be an issue with where the springs mount or anything of that matter?

The axle has no problem flexing, it performs great on highways and extremely rough trails, but the noise is definitely a bit concerning. I'll try and get a video of it next time i'm out there, but does anyone have any ideas what this could be?
Sponsored

Coder

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Doesn't sound normal something may be loose shock, track bar, control arm, etc. I would start by taking it to the dealer and let them check everything out.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've done probably hundreds of miles of trails in my JLR so far and have 2000 miles on the odo. I've had this sound since I bought the Jeep, whenever I take it wheeling, I get a loud springy "clunk" when the front axle is flexing from full driver's tire tuck to full passenger tire tuck. The electronic swaybar is disconnected in these scenarios.

I always thought it was normal since there's a whole lot of stuff moving a pretty good distance when you're flexing out the axle, but now I'm not sure. I've been under there and nothing looks abnormal or loose, but this is my first Wrangler so I'm not necessarily going to spot a small issue. Could there be an issue with where the springs mount or anything of that matter?

The axle has no problem flexing, it performs great on highways and extremely rough trails, but the noise is definitely a bit concerning. I'll try and get a video of it next time i'm out there, but does anyone have any ideas what this could be?
First off, is your JLR stock or modded? If the latter, what has been done?

Whether stock or not, I'd start by getting under there with some good lighting and a small mirror if possible and start looking for any witness marks from something rubbing on something else. Start with the wheels straight, so there is some inspection room in between the steering linkages, followed by wheels full left and right. All the while, check for loose hardware.

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Whether stock or not, I'd start by getting under there with some good lighting and a small mirror if possible and start looking for any witness marks from something rubbing on something else. Start with the wheels straight, so there is some inspection room in between the steering linkages, followed by wheels full left and right. All the while, check for loose hardware.

Ah sorry should have mentioned, it’s completely stock. No modifications whatsoever. I was under there yesterday doing the first oil change and everything looks fine and seems to be tight. There is a chunk that looks to be ripped off one of the plastic wheelwell liners, that’s the only thing I could think of. Maybe its binding there and pulling down upon flexing the axle, but i really can’t see how it’d do that. I’ll get under again today to dig deeper and take photos of anything that looks suspicious.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Ah sorry should have mentioned, it’s completely stock. No modifications whatsoever. I was under there yesterday doing the first oil change and everything looks fine and seems to be tight. There is a chunk that looks to be ripped off one of the plastic wheelwell liners, that’s the only thing I could think of. Maybe its binding there and pulling down upon flexing the axle, but i really can’t see how it’d do that. I’ll get under again today to dig deeper and take photos of anything that looks suspicious.
No apologies needed, just trying to help narrow down the possibilities.

A plastic liner can make some ugly sounds when nipped by a tire lug or groove.

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Got back from 110 miles of wheeling this weekend and it’s still making the noise. Sometimes pretty loud and only seems to happen when the swaybar is disconnected and the axle is articulating from full tuck to full tuck. In my head it feels like it’s the disconnect not quite disconnecting, and the thunk is it somewhat violently releasing the catch it has in the mechanism. Or a bushing loading up and releasing suddenly - or a spring not properly seated (although they look fine to my untrained solid front axle eye).

I’ve been under the Jeep and can not find any evidence of witness marks, scrapes, scratches, or excessive play in any of the components I see. I’ve also stopped the second I heard the sound a couple times with the axle flexed and inspected everything. Can’t find a thing. Sounds and feels more mechanical than plastic liners - especially if I whack and pull at the liners, that don’t make nearly the same noise.

I feel like I’ll need to find someone with a forklift so I can witness it happening on demand. Maybe an hour of a 4x4 shop’s time before I go to the dealer?
Sponsored