Sponsored

Clunk Sound When Starting

Bigbobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Has anyone experienced a metal clunking sound happening right after your jeep starts? It does not happen every time but when it does happen it sounds like a metal and metal slap or clunk that can be heard inside and outside of the jeep. Seems to happen less with the ESS than starting it from a parked position.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone experienced a metal clunking sound happening right after your jeep starts? It does not happen every time but when it does happen it sounds like a metal and metal slap or clunk that can be heard inside and outside of the jeep. Seems to happen less with the ESS than starting it from a parked position.
I have had that happen once in a while, I donā€™t know what it is , but it sounds like itā€™s coming from the catalytic converter like backlash or something.

atso

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Same - mine happens intermittently

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Sounds similar to what I've noticed at times. I have no idea what it might be.

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
If it's the sound I hear, it's the starter, and it can be negated by releasing the start button as soon as you feel the engine will start. Hold it too long and you get the "clunk" on a cold start.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

atso

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Hello friends! Has anyone spoken to their dealership about this? Feel free to send us a private message if you would like to discuss further.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
I'm almost embarrassed how many times I've taken my Jeep back to the dealership for warranty stuff. Even the shuttle driver knows where to drop me off without telling him lol

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Is your AC on? I've found that sometimes if I start the Jeep with the AC on it takes a second after the start for the compressor to kick in. It clunks when it kicks in because it's a big extra load to start at once. If I turn my AC on after the Jeep is already going I don't get that.

Sponsored

Ā¤|||||||Ā¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Hello friends! Has anyone spoken to their dealership about this? Feel free to send us a private message if you would like to discuss further.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
I love it how @JeepCares always asks if you've spoken to the dealership or have brought the vehicle in.

I really dont think the FCA/Jeep truly understands how painfully fustrating going to the dealerships service dept is.

Its fustrating, time consuming(most people have to miss work to make appts, wait and/or return to pick up there vehicle = equates to costing money).

Dont know about anyone else but I always have to pay for or give a credit card as security when I need a rental car - I shouldn't have to. A loaner should be provided.

I actually just had to pay $76 out of pocket to get the vehicle inspected at the dealership so I could get reimbursed for the steering stabilizer. I was reimbursed for the stabilizer but not the $76 fee. Seriously?! I was told it was manditory I do so to get reimbursed...why should I have to pay for an inspection to a recall??

The quality of work, craftsmanship and knowledge of the majority of low wage technicians working on your $60K new Rubicon is cringe-worthy...I seriously cringe everytime they need to have my Jeep for a warranty issue. I(we) put a lot of work and money into our rigs. Most(like mine) are fully customized machines. Last thing we want is some Shmoe touching it.

I understand the only place for someone to go is the dealership if something goes wrong. However, the FCA should really address its dealership regulation practices.....in the "real" world it's bad, real bad. Just read through the thousands of posts on this forum.

I'll finish there..really just needed to put this out there though.

Last edited:

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Hey, thanks for your interest in this issue.

It happens to me, but from my experience with all vehicles, not only Jeeps, if you can't replicate the issue in front of the mechanic, they won't have a clue of what's going on.
Since this happens randomly, chances of replicating it at the dealer are low. That's mainly why I haven't done anything about it.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
I love it how @JeepCares

I actually just had to pay $76 out of pocket to get the vehicle inspected at the dealership so I could get reimbursed for the steering stabilizer. I was reimbursed for the stabilizer but not the $76 fee. Seriously?! I was told it was manditory I do so to get reimbursed...why should I have to pay for an inspection to a recall??
This is not right, A recall is just brought in and done per instructions. There is no inspection involved. You need to get your $ back..

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
I just noticed it yesterday on a long road trip. Happened after I restarted the hot engine at a pit stop offer about three hours of continuous driving.

quickly turned off the engine and restarted to see if it would happen again and it did.

tried to replicate the problem after I got to my destination, but the sound went away.

will continue to troubleshoot with different variables today. It didnā€™t occur to me that it could be the AC. Will play around with that today.

the sound definitely sounds like a fan shutter or a valve closing or something along those lines.

Gbart

First Name
Gord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van
Is it anything like the squeal/clunk discussed in this thread? Mine also does the same when hard on the brake at startup and doesn't do it when light on the brake at startup.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/squeal-at-start-up.11848/page-4#post-362859
Sponsored