Sponsored

Clunk noise in 1st gear

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I have a 3.6 Sport with a 6mt, stock hearing, LSD, and 33.25” tires on stock wheels.

When at a stop, when I release the clutch in first gear I hear a distinct metallic clunk noise. It’s just the single sound and it doesn’t repeat. I don’t think it does it in any other gear but I might not be hearing it because of road noise and the top being down.

I don’t think I recall it last summer when I had the top down a lot.

I recall having heard this sound in other manuals over the years.

Any ideas? I’m not noticing any difference in terms of performance.

Thanks.
Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
The fact that you state you have an LSD makes me think it may be in your rear end. The factory Trak Lok unit is known to fail. Specifically , the spider gears in it get chipped and when coming to a stop, if you’ve stopped where the chipped teeth are in a position to be initiating movement then you will get a clunk or metal on metal “clack” noise. Usually only happens once or maybe twice on getting going from a stop.

You should drain your rear end fluid and see if you get any metal bits. Sure sign the LSD is failing.

Check out the JK forums for further info. I’d cross link but I think that’s frowned on. JK owner here with this failed unit about to be replaced.

Otherwise , get under the rear and check the torque of suspension bolts, shocks, etc.

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon, 21 Willys, 22 Rubicon
I have a 22 Rubicon 4 door manual and I get the same thing happening. Clunk sound when going 1-2 and 2-3 gear mostly. Happens a lot, and my left foot is always pressed all the way down on clutch when I shift.
any update?
Sponsored