Sponsored

Clunk, Click noise When turning left or right (low speed)

CaptainJLU

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
So I recently noticed that my 2018 4Door JLU makes all kinds of noises... Surprise.
I am new to Jeep and know since I joint this Forum that there is always something that wants to be fixed.

But here is the problem I have... When I turn left, I get a short "Clunk" from the middle or back and it sounds like it is coming from the bottom part of the car. It is not super loud but you will hear it every time and sometimes even feel that something just hit something else. Does anyone experience the same or a similar issue? It only appears when I turn left (so far).

I don't have the Clicking issue on the ball joints (YET) that many of you are experiencing, so I hope my JLU Sahara will skip that problem.

And yes I do have an appointment scheduled at my dealer with high hope that they can fix it.
If they find something, I will keep you updated.
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Usually a clunk when turning is ball joints.

Is the jeep stock or lifted? Could be a bushing out of place, under or over torqued steering component, or trackbar welds giving out.

OP
OP
CaptainJLU

CaptainJLU

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Usually a clunk when turning is ball joints.

Is the jeep stock or lifted? Could be a bushing out of place, under or over torqued steering component, or trackbar welds giving out.
The jeep is all stock.

OP
OP
CaptainJLU

CaptainJLU

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

GladDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Did your dealer end up saying if anything was wrong or it was normal? I have started to notice this type of noise on my 2021 Gladiator.. Ik this thread is kind of old though

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Did you recently have some suspension work done, like install a lift or something?

I don't believe ball joints can be bad that early. Also stock ball joints are plastic sleeve so very unlikely they can made clunk sound audible inside the car.

It is more likely the track bar, check the bolts that bolt track bar to your axle and body, if they are loose then you will have clunk because of the slacks.

luckysharm

First Name
SHAR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sport Altitude-Hella, 22 Sport Altitude-Gobi
Did you recently have some suspension work done, like install a lift or something?

I don't believe ball joints can be bad that early. Also stock ball joints are plastic sleeve so very unlikely they can made clunk sound audible inside the car.

It is more likely the track bar, check the bolts that bolt track bar to your axle and body, if they are loose then you will have clunk because of the slacks.

I havent gotten a lift or anything because of this same exact issue.

other issues I have/had:
-Jeep driving with a pulling feeling
-Radio screen randomly shuts off (turns black)
-Apple car/BT working off and on
-

andrew4fins

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Search the ball joint click. May be it. Known issue for all years. I had an annoying click up front. Brand new 21 Rubi. Factory doesn’t tighten then down enough it appears. There’s a sequence where they tighten twice and looks like miss that step a lot. Pulled cotters on both ball joints, both were finger tight. Tightened down to just a little over factory specs to get to next cotter hole, reinstalled cotters. No more click. Noises are just so much fun to figure out. Good luck.

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
Search the ball joint click. May be it. Known issue for all years. I had an annoying click up front. Brand new 21 Rubi. Factory doesn’t tighten then down enough it appears. There’s a sequence where they tighten twice and looks like miss that step a lot. Pulled cotters on both ball joints, both were finger tight. Tightened down to just a little over factory specs to get to next cotter hole, reinstalled cotters. No more click. Noises are just so much fun to figure out. Good luck.
I just tightened all four of my ball joints on my 2021 Rubicon and the “clicking”stopped.

Sponsored

Gripster

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2D
What is the factory torque value for the ball joints?

andrew4fins

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Do a search for the exact values. Many posts on here about standard torque values for everything. You’re sort of limited by the having to line up the cotter pin holes. I ended up torquing slightly over spec a few lbs as I wanted to get to the next cotter hole. Rather be a little tight than loose. No more click click. Cotter pins are a pita. Buy new ones. Much easier.

Mjv04tj

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
i imagine this would be covered under warranty, correct? Have same clicking sound at low speeds that started a few weeks ago. 2021 JLUR with 15k. Stock suspension. Thanks.
Sponsored