Closeout panels

UK-Limey

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
As mentioned in many forums posts, the EU-spec closeout panels are GROSS !

I see that lots of people have trimmed them down with a dremmel or craft knife to a much better appearance.
Unfortunately I am not in a position to cut the panels so I was wondering if they could be replaced with the 'smaller' version.

On the drivers side this is removing part # 6QZ89RXFAB and replacing with part # 6KL11RXFAA .
It looks like the holes are in slightly different place but these would be easy to re-drill on the replacement part.
Sponsored

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
I just removed the two panels completely without cutting or damaging them. The wiring connectors for the fog lamps are exposed, but they are of a waterproof design and so far after 6 months with the panels removed, the wiring is still working fine. If/when they do fail, they are easy enough to get at to make a repair. I regularly jet wash under the wheel arches and around the fog lamp area so the connections are getting a good soaking with no obvious ill effects.

OP
OP
UK-Limey

UK-Limey

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I just removed the two panels completely without cutting or damaging them. The wiring connectors for the fog lamps are exposed, but they are of a waterproof design and so far after 6 months with the panels removed, the wiring is still working fine. If/when they do fail, they are easy enough to get at to make a repair. I regularly jet wash under the wheel arches and around the fog lamp area so the connections are getting a good soaking with no obvious ill effects.
Thanks for that feedback. It's reassuring to know that the electrics are able to withstand a battering. I presume that the waterproof-ness (is there such a word ?) of the parking sensors is also OK as they are behind the same panel ? In any case, it's now almost certain that I'll remove them this weekend ...
Sponsored