Cloning the PCM

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Who here is a super guru when it comes to the PCM in these Jeeps? I'm about to try and get a brand new PCM basically cloned to match the existing PCM that's in my truck. I want both PCMs to be identical and be able to swap into my truck. End goal is to have one PCM tuned, while I keep the other with stock programming.

Here's my question: Does it REQUIRE a Jeep dealership to program the PCM for my truck? Are there specific tools/software required to do this that only a dealership possesses? Or can an independent auto repair shop get around the PCM security and flash a new one for a vehicle?
Sponsored

JustDSM

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon 2dr V6 M/T
What tuning hardware/software are you planning to use? HPTuners offers brand new replacement PCM's that are "unlocked" for tuning, but an identical match to your factory ECU (since you send them your calibration).

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
I would just take it to a dealership, I asked one near me about it and they said it would cost about $150 to clone the PCM.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Thanks guys. I actually ended up having my truck tuned at GDE yesterday and while I was there I mentioned my new, blank PCM in a box inside the truck. They were able to clone it and verify it works in less than 30 minutes. Those guys are awesome.
Sponsored