Climate control: hot or cold, but no in between

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
When Auto is Off, the system will heat to the set temperature but will not cool to it unless the A/C is engaged. So, if set to 60 and outside temp is higher, then any setting less than outside will result in outside temp (hot air), unless A/C engaged. Reverse applies also.
My understanding is that it will blow out air at the set temperature when not set to auto....regardless of interior temp, is that what you are saying?

The only caveat is that it may or may not use ac to get there
Sponsored

opsfox21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2023 WL Overland
These systems work best when you find your favorite temp setting and just leave it there. If once your Jeep warms up you don't like temp, then just adjust it by one step at a time until you find your sweet spot. After that leave it alone until the next time you are uncomfortable. A good place to start is between 70F-72F (or ~20C-22C), go for a drive and once you are at operating temp, see how things feel.

When you start up the Jeep already gives you full heat anyways, then it will mix in some cold once your engine warms up. If you start up in Auto mode it will also keep the fan speed really low at first since there is no heat available yet.

One thing that can happen is if you set it to MAX and then lower the temperature setting, the Jeep will blow cold air in an attempt to lower the temperature inside to that new setting if it happens to be below the actual interior air temperature. If that makes sense haha.

Personally I leave mine on auto always (except when I need to force defrost mode), and I pretty much have a winter and summer temperature setting (which is only a 1.5C difference) that I only need to change twice a year usually.

Anyhow I hope that helps and that it's not actually broken :captain:

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
Auto works perfectly for me. I always have it set to 74 degrees during the winter here.

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
Auto works perfectly for me. I always have it set to 74 degrees during the winter here.
Agreed.. I thought something was wrong at first, but then I took time to read the manual to understand how it is supposed to work.

Side note:

I've had mine set at 74 since October.. but then yesterday I bumped it up to 75. Changed my life. :P

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
FCA apparently has figured out how to take a common hvac system and make it intuitively frustrating.

Sponsored

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
My understanding is that it will blow out air at the set temperature when not set to auto....regardless of interior temp, is that what you are saying?

The only caveat is that it may or may not use ac to get there
The temperature numbers are distracting. If you think only terms of hotter or cooler then they make more sense, at least to me. The A/C evaporator and the heater radiator (not engine radiator) are always "on." What changes is the air path, with the heater at the end of the path, downstream from the A/C evaporator. The A/C switch, to my knowledge, does not turn on the A/C compressor and is always running and the evaporator is always fully cold. Not true for very older cars where the compressor would kick in or stop. The modern A/C switch controls the routing of the air to either pass through the evaporator or bypass. To my knowledge the A/C plenum either allows all air or no air to pass. The heater plenum allows none, some, or all air to be heated before entering cabin. A full heater setting easily heats any A/C air. This way the system can dehumidify and still have hot air. My JL has a robust heater and the cabin gets hot air in only a few minutes. BMW and some other high end cars have electrical coils to assist until the engine heats up but I do not suspect the Jeep has that. When I want outside air, not cooled or heated, then I set the temperature to a low number, turn off the A/C, set fan, and set outlets. The manual (there is a current model-specific version at Mopar site) states that all options (air flow vents, recirculating vents, heat, A/C, and fan) act independently when Auto is off, meaning you have control over their participation in air flow or not. That seems to be my experience. Not too unlike my '76 CJ. :)

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
My current car is 15yo. You cannot set the temperature. Rather you turn the knob one way for cooler and the other way for warmer.

I don't like the concept of setting a temperature. If my wife can see the setting she will complain no matter the current comfort level!

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Same issue, amongst other issues with the Radio, rear seat ratting .
Its been going on since we go the Jeep, dealership is still playing dumb.
Just waiting for the Lemon Law ruling to come through, but I'm done with Jeep and the dealership whom I spend over $250,000 with last year.
IMO I know its a new model year being a JL, but Jeeps been around for while, I have never seen a worst built vehicle. They should have had a better handle on this model change. It was supposed to be a $50,000 toy, and it has turned into a part time job and a major headache.
That’s the damn truth! Obviously doesn’t care because people are standing in line to buy them. What a farce. I’ve been saying this for too long now. Done. Look at every thread started on the site but the jail and it’s nothing but problems. Nothing.
You’d see really threads on the JK forums, more about doing, building, just overall good compliments but not on the JL!!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I also use “auto” all the time but instead of adjusting the temp every 10 minutes (It’s summer as of this post) I set my temp for 69 degrees and let the vents blow directly on me. If I find my arms or body getting cold I simply turn the vents up and the Jeep is as comfortable as home.

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
To the op- my jl rubi is exactly the same. Very frustrating.

Ps my f250 and Denali work perfectly, so presumably I understand how to work an “ auto” button. Lol

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Mine works just fine. Then again, I don't have the fancy Auto-Temp controls. Keep It Simple Stupid(KISS). Things are getting too computorized, and complicated.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I leave mine set at 76 and never have an issue. If I set it colder I will get water on the dash outlets. Houston has high humidity and 70* is light jacket weather.

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue Sky One-Touch
I set mine to 70 and leave it that way all year. Works as it should and works just like very other car with AUTO that I've owned.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
This only happens when it is below a certain temp outside. Below a certain outside air temp setpoint, any temp above LO will be full heat. When it gets warmer outside the temp should modulate properly.

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
(TSB 08-042-18) any one look into this bulletin. Many reported 16 degree swing and flash fixed it.

My appt next Thursday
Sponsored