Climate control: hot or cold, but no in between

Adjavix

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
It’s winter here in the Midwest, so obviously I turn my heat all the way up until it gets warm in my car. What I’m noticing, though, is that when I start getting hot and try to set it at 67 or so, it’s still just as hot as max heat. I’ll turn it all the way to Lo and cold air will blow. Then I’ll turn it up just one degree to 60 and the hot air starts blowing again. So my entire drive is heat until I get hot, then cold until it’s freezing inside my car, then repeat.

Anyone else have this issue or a solution?
Sponsored

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
It’s winter here in the Midwest, so obviously I turn my heat all the way up until it gets warm in my car. What I’m noticing, though, is that when I start getting hot and try to set it at 67 or so, it’s still just as hot as max heat. I’ll turn it all the way to Lo and cold air will blow. Then I’ll turn it up just one degree to 60 and the hot air starts blowing again. So my entire drive is heat until I get hot, then cold until it’s freezing inside my car, then repeat.

Few threads on it. Don’t use Auto. Just put temp and put fan on 1 once at temp.

OP
OP
Adjavix

Adjavix

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Few threads on it. Don’t use Auto. Just put temp and put fan on 1 once at temp.
I had Auto turned off already. I didn’t think the fan speed would affect the temperature, but I’ll try turning it to 1. It just seems strange that when set at 60, it will still blow out 90 degree air.

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
I’ve noticed this too. There seems a delay of about 5-10 seconds before the change occurs.

Space ace

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Yep, annoying.. but auto seems to work for me..

Sponsored

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is set in Celsius and at 22/23 (71.6/73.4 °F) auto works fine. I do not keep the seat warmer on though. Combined it becomes a bit much.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
It works like the thermostat in your house when set on auto. If the cabin temperature is cooler than your setting, it has to blow warmer air than the setting to ever raise the temperature. It will blow warmer air only until cabin reaches set temperature. It just feels odd because people usually have vents blowing on them so they can feel it, but in their home they don’t.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

I've had more than a few cars with an "auto" setting, and overall some of them are annoying in one small way or another, like trying to compensate for the person sitting on the "suns" side with cooler air, vs the other. Anyhow, my last BMW, 2015 435i performed well, maintaining a temperature. I rarely had to fudge with the controls and could just leave it and forget it. However, I'm finding that this in the JL is completely maddening on occasion. Could be blowing cold air on my arms when I'm freezing already by changing the temperature down by one degree, things of that nature. If I had the guess the sensor(s) are in a bad location, or the logic of the system needs some major adjustments. Either way, I usually turn the system off or control it manually.

Sponsored

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I leave it on auto at 70 and I've not notice anything but temp comfort is very subjective.

The only thing I really notice is when my wife has been in it and it's like a blast furnace until I realize its got heated seats and steering wheel getting hot and temp set at like 78 on blast lol.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Use the auto temp control OP. Once the cabin is at your set temperature it will calm down. Also make sure there isn't a dramatic difference between the two zone's settings.

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S

sounds like something is wrong.

mine works perfect...I have it set to 72 most of the year, and it gets right to around 72 (blows cold air if hotter than 72 in the car and warm air if colder just like a home thermostat). only thing is if it is less than I think 40 degrees out it will not use the AC compressor to protect it (no big deal as it allows cold air to come in if needed)

Big Duke 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL / 2017 Ram 2500 CTD

Same issue, amongst other issues with the Radio, rear seat ratting .
Its been going on since we go the Jeep, dealership is still playing dumb.
Just waiting for the Lemon Law ruling to come through, but I'm done with Jeep and the dealership whom I spend over $250,000 with last year.
IMO I know its a new model year being a JL, but Jeeps been around for while, I have never seen a worst built vehicle. They should have had a better handle on this model change. It was supposed to be a $50,000 toy, and it has turned into a part time job and a major headache.

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
When Auto is Off, the system will heat to the set temperature but will not cool to it unless the A/C is engaged. So, if set to 60 and outside temp is higher, then any setting less than outside will result in outside temp (hot air), unless A/C engaged. Reverse applies also.
Sponsored