Clicking/ticking sound coming from tailgate I believe

MichaelB887

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Hi all,

I have a 2018 Sahara with a 2.5 in lift and 35 in tires. For the spare tire carrier I have the Mopar tailgate reinforcement system and Mopar oversized spare tire carrier with a 35 mounted on the back. Ever since getting this put on I started hearing this noise coming from the back and it’s driving me absolutely insane.I attached 2 videos with the clicking/ticking sound. It’s loud enough where if I have music playing at a normal volume I can still hear it. Any help on what this is and how to fix will be so appreciated!

Advertisement

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

jludave

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
This may not be your particular issue, but some have found the rear glass to make noise when it's closed against it's rubber seal. Open the rear glass and thoroughly clean the rear rubber seal with some warm water. Then, if you have it, use something like 303 protectant on the seal. Again this may not solve your issue, but it's worth a shot.

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
If that doesn't work. Find a radio station playing music with a beat close to the rattling sound.

Follow me for more bad advice! 😁

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
This may not be your particular issue, but some have found the rear glass to make noise when it's closed against it's rubber seal. Open the rear glass and thoroughly clean the rear rubber seal with some warm water. Then, if you have it, use something like 303 protectant on the seal. Again this may not solve your issue, but it's worth a shot.
I had that problem and this method worked for me immediately

OP
MichaelB887

MichaelB887

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s a soft top but do u think cleaning the edges of that would help? I probably should have mentioned it’s a soft top I just assumed it was something more with the tailgate

OP
MichaelB887

MichaelB887

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If that doesn't work. Find a radio station playing music with a beat close to the rattling sound.

Follow me for more bad advice! 😁
Hahahaha this might be my best bet🤣🤣

MyThirdJeep

First Name
Norbert
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hi all,

I have a 2018 Sahara with a 2.5 in lift and 35 in tires. For the spare tire carrier I have the Mopar tailgate reinforcement system and Mopar oversized spare tire carrier with a 35 mounted on the back. Ever since getting this put on I started hearing this noise coming from the back and it’s driving me absolutely insane.I attached 2 videos with the clicking/ticking sound. It’s loud enough where if I have music playing at a normal volume I can still hear it. Any help on what this is and how to fix will be so appreciated!

I have this EXACT SAME ANNOYING CLICKING/TICKING. Have you found any resolution? I isolated it to the tailgate. I am running a 37" setup that's pretty heavy with the MOPAR tailgate reinforcement and relocation bracket. I think I am going to swap that out for a hinged carrier (waiting on the new teraflex carrier to be released which should be any day now). I've debated trying to put some sound insulation along the inside of the tailgate such as Dynamat but im not sure how effective that would be since there isn't alot of smooth area to apply to.

Skylerpaige1

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara - sky one top
Hi all,

Same exact noise here. Any resolutions? It’s def the tailgate.

Advertisement

Quadratec

Advertisement