flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Tried out HDC in my new 2-door yesterday, and it worked like a champ, but made odd clicking noises from somewhere under the steering column/driver's side dashboard. Seemed like these might be associated with changes in speed as the vehicle negotiated bumps and ruts on the way down, but not 100% sure if there's a really a correlation. I suspect this might be due to intermittent activation of the ABS as part of the HDC's normal function, but this is only a theory. Anyone else experiencing this or know what it is?
Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Tried out HDC in my new 2-door yesterday, and it worked like a champ, but made odd clicking noises from somewhere under the steering column/driver's side dashboard. Seemed like these might be associated with changes in speed as the vehicle negotiated bumps and ruts on the way down, but not 100% sure if there's a really a correlation. Anyone else experiencing this or know what it is?
Mine seems to make all manner of ungodly noises when it is engaged, especially if you try to slow it further with the brakes.

I thought we were scraping on an easy obstacle the first time I turned it on in anger.

I just 2 pedal drive now.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK...thanks for the (sort of) good news. At least this seems to be a normal part of the system's operation, based on this excerpt from the ABS discussion in the manual:

"You also may experience the following normal characteristics when the ABS activates: ABS motor noise or clicking sounds (you may continue to hear for a short time after the stop)..."

When you watch demonstration videos online, nobody seems to show this, so I was curious. Maybe others will chime in with their observations as well.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If it sounds like R2D2 under your dash it's working normally.
Hmm...unfortunately nothing like R2D2 at all. Just occasional clicking, but then again, I wasn't traversing anything extremely steep or rough. Perhaps it gets noisier with steeper/rougher terrain?

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Totally normal. This is the ABS sensors and actuators working to keep the wheel speed consistent. Happens on all JLs with this feature.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Totally normal. This is the ABS sensors and actuators working to keep the wheel speed consistent. Happens on all JLs with this feature.
Our guide when I took the 101 Course at Rausch Creek said those noises would be normal...we noticed it a bit going down some steep rutted grades but it wasn't harsh, and the system works great!

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I thought something was wrong too when I heard the noise the first few times I used it. But seems like it a normal thing when it's controlling the jeeps descent.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing your observations on this issue. I thought it might have been the ABS, but your feedback confirms it. Much appreciated!

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Hmm...unfortunately nothing like R2D2 at all. Just occasional clicking, but then again, I wasn't traversing anything extremely steep or rough. Perhaps it gets noisier with steeper/rougher terrain?
Mine makes quite a bit more noises than just clicking on steep descents, especially on sections where you have to crawl along because of large boulders/ruts, but it does its job well so i'm happy with it.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine makes quite a bit more noises than just clicking on steep descents, especially on sections where you have to crawl along because of large boulders/ruts, but it does its job well so i'm happy with it.
OK, thanks. I wasn’t on a steep descent, and there weren’t a lot of obstacles on the way down. Just took it easy for this first go with HDC, but it was still fun. Glad to know about the additional noise, so I won’t be surprised on more challenging terrain. Much appreciated.
Sponsored