Sponsored

Clicking, pinging sound in 4L with sharp turns?

Bluemagic80

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s Unlimited
Hi Guys,

I'm new to off-roading and just purchased a 2020 Willy's Unlimited. This is the first Jeep I've owned so I'm still getting used to it. Added a 2.5" Skyjacker lift, Bilstein shocks with 34" Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. Took it out to Broken Arrow in Sedona a couple of days ago and had an amazing time! The modifications I made handled everything on this trail without a hiccup. However, when in 4L, I noticed a clicking/pinging sound from the driver side of the vehicle when navigating tight turns on certain parts of the trail. It only happened when making sharp turns. The same sound happens minimally in 4H and not a all in 2H. Is this normal when making sharp turns in 4H/4L? From what I've read so far sounds like this is a fairly normal sound when cranking to hard on the steering wheel when in 4WD? Any feedback/experience with this would be greatly appreciate. I'm just looking for some reassurance that nothing has been damaged. Thanks guys!

-AV
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You’re hearing bind from front to back most likely. Completely normal. If you’re in 4wd the front and rear axles are turning at the same time. The more solid the ground is you’re driving over the more bind you’ll hear as you turn.

OP
OP
Bluemagic80

Bluemagic80

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s Unlimited
You’re hearing bind from front to back most likely. Completely normal. If you’re in 4wd the front and rear axles are turning at the same time. The more solid the ground is you’re driving over the more bind you’ll hear as you turn.
Thanks for the reply! The more I hear this the better I feel. Trying not to freak out about every little sound but better safe than sorry. Should I avoid turning too hard in 4wd drive when possible? I really didn't have an option on this trail since I was already in 4L and couldn't shift out of it.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thanks for the reply! The more I hear this the better I feel. Trying not to freak out about every little sound but better safe than sorry. Should I avoid turning too hard in 4wd drive when possible? I really didn't have an option on this trail since I was already in 4L and couldn't shift out of it.
As long as you’re on a surface that allows at least some slip in the tires you’ll be fine.

OP
OP
Bluemagic80

Bluemagic80

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s Unlimited
As long as you’re on a surface that allows at least some slip in the tires you’ll be fine.
Got it, thanks for the info!
Sponsored