First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
So, re-cap and update on mine.. about 8 weeks ago my Jeep went into the shop I told them about this thread and asked if they would just check the ball joints, assistant service manager said techs would just laugh at the fact that I was suggesting something on a forum and that they would do their own diagnostics. They said it was a wheel hub and that theyā€™d call when they got the part in. About a week later they said they had it and I dropped my Jeep off. I opened a star case the same day. TWO WEEKS later I call to check in and they still donā€™t have the part.. another week and a half and they say itā€™s on and fixed. So I have to go to enterprise and drop of the rental FCA has been paying for the whole time and pick it up. Before I get out of the parking lot i can hear the exact same sound so I call my case manager at fca she says the dealership says itā€™s operating as designed and they wonā€™t do anything else.. I assumed she thought I was talking about the loose steering which Iā€™ve had it in for when I first brought up this noise so I tried to explain that it was this sound and not that. She said if I want to take it back to the dealership sheā€™d keep the case open so I take it back and show the service manager and they all agree that itā€™s not normal. No idea why they didnā€™t just test drive it to see if it was actually fixed. Now itā€™s been there another 3 weeks and theyā€™ve replaced the wheel hub on the other side switched the shocks and replaced the U-Joint. Iā€™ve called several times asking them to just check the ball joints and I get the same answer as before. Keep in mind Iā€™ve had a star case open this whole time and itā€™s been very hard to get updates or get anyone on the phone every time I call my case manager is unavailable. Initially all I wanted was a buyback or vehicle replacement as these are far from the only problems Iā€™ve had and between the rentals and the parts being thrown at it that probably would have saved them money. Iā€™ve now been without my Jeep for 7 weeks.

TLDR jeeps been at the dealership for this for 7 weeks with a star case open the whole time dealer has replaced both wheel hubs u-joint and switched shocks still havenā€™t messed with ball joints.
Sounds like they're giving you the same run around I got. Good luck with that buy back too, probably not gonna happen. I went around and around with those guys and it got me nowhere basically. Waiting to see what this bronco looks like when it comes out....
Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Why donā€™t you guys check/re-torque to see if thereā€™s any difference. If youā€™re having an experience like that, no sense is waiting on a dealer. DIY! :rock:

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
Why donā€™t you guys check/re-torque to see if thereā€™s any difference. If youā€™re having an experience like that, no sense is waiting on a dealer. DIY! :rock:
I have my issues already taken care of. Of course I did wait for the dealer to fix it. Just because I can fix it myself, that doesn't mean I want to or that I care to be fixing my brand new $50k vehicle that shouldn't have issues this early on. Hate on me if you want, but that's how I look at it

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have my issues already taken care of. Of course I did wait for the dealer to fix it. Just because I can fix it myself, that doesn't mean I want to or that I care to be fixing my brand new $50k vehicle that shouldn't have issues this early on. Hate on me if you want, but that's how I look at it
no reason to hate, just suggesting an option. Some guys like wrenching more than others. As long as it gets fixed.

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
no reason to hate, just suggesting an option. Some guys like wrenching more than others. As long as it gets fixed.
I wrench for a living. I bought my jlu thinking since it was new I wouldn't have to work on it and it generally shouldn't have many issues. Well, just like my 92 YJ... It has definitely had it's problems. However, the 92 was expected to have problems, not the 18:headbang:

Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I wrench for a living. I bought my jlu thinking since it was new I wouldn't have to work on it and it generally shouldn't have many issues. Well, just like my 92 YJ... It has definitely had it's problems. However, the 92 was expected to have problems, not the 18:headbang:
sorry man, these things seem to be ā€œhit or missā€

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
sorry man, these things seem to be ā€œhit or missā€
I know. It just baffles me how much "hit or miss" happens with all of them. All of the posts I've seen on here is like 50% they've had so many issues and 50% just think people are making it all up since they've never had a single issue with theirs. I wish I could say I haven't had an issue, I really do.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I know. It just baffles me how much "hit or miss" happens with all of them. All of the posts I've seen on here is like 50% they've had so many issues and 50% just think people are making it all up since they've never had a single issue with theirs. I wish I could say I haven't had an issue, I really do.
agree and Iā€™ll add to it. Iā€™m watching this thread because my wife and I got (2) 2019ā€™s at the same time. Hers clicks, mine doesnā€™t. 50% :lipssealed:

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport
Because itā€™s a aluminum knuckle that they are pressed into and I donā€™t want to be the one to tighten them even further when that causes problems down the road.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Because itā€™s a aluminum knuckle that they are pressed into and I donā€™t want to be the one to tighten them even further when that causes problems down the road.
I have seen posts where guys tighten the castle nut 1/4 turn and they claimed that fixes it. Is that different than what youā€™re talking about?

Sponsored

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
I have seen posts where guys tighten the castle nut 1/4 turn and they claimed that fixes it. Is that different than what youā€™re talking about?
No it's the same thing. Tighten the nuts on the ball joints(the castle nuts) and the noise should go away

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So, re-cap and update on mine.. about 8 weeks ago my Jeep went into the shop I told them about this thread and asked if they would just check the ball joints, assistant service manager said techs would just laugh at the fact that I was suggesting something on a forum and that they would do their own diagnostics. They said it was a wheel hub and that theyā€™d call when they got the part in. About a week later they said they had it and I dropped my Jeep off. I opened a star case the same day. TWO WEEKS later I call to check in and they still donā€™t have the part.. another week and a half and they say itā€™s on and fixed. So I have to go to enterprise and drop of the rental FCA has been paying for the whole time and pick it up. Before I get out of the parking lot i can hear the exact same sound so I call my case manager at fca she says the dealership says itā€™s operating as designed and they wonā€™t do anything else.. I assumed she thought I was talking about the loose steering which Iā€™ve had it in for when I first brought up this noise so I tried to explain that it was this sound and not that. She said if I want to take it back to the dealership sheā€™d keep the case open so I take it back and show the service manager and they all agree that itā€™s not normal. No idea why they didnā€™t just test drive it to see if it was actually fixed. Now itā€™s been there another 3 weeks and theyā€™ve replaced the wheel hub on the other side switched the shocks and replaced the U-Joint. Iā€™ve called several times asking them to just check the ball joints and I get the same answer as before. Keep in mind Iā€™ve had a star case open this whole time and itā€™s been very hard to get updates or get anyone on the phone every time I call my case manager is unavailable. Initially all I wanted was a buyback or vehicle replacement as these are far from the only problems Iā€™ve had and between the rentals and the parts being thrown at it that probably would have saved them money. Iā€™ve now been without my Jeep for 7 weeks.

TLDR jeeps been at the dealership for this for 7 weeks with a star case open the whole time dealer has replaced both wheel hubs u-joint and switched shocks still havenā€™t messed with ball joints.
Were you able to get in touch with your case manager or dealership for an update over the weekend? Feel free to send us a private message with your VIN or case number if you'd like us to check in on this for you.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport

Update: Itā€™s been in the shop for this for 55 days now. Iā€™m officially done with FCA after this one.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same noise heard in video and happens slow speed when turning or over small bumps. Iā€™ve removed cotter pins and all 4 ball joints, torqued to 37 lowers, 55 upper, none really seemed loose though. Noise is still there, is everyone tightening ball joints to spec or going higher to get this noise to stop? Thanks

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
I had clicks coming from the drivers side when turning. Never checked passenger. I checked and tightened the lower ball joints and they were already torqued to spec, but the clicking continued. I installed the Mopar lift and the clicking went away.
has it returned? Did they replace the
Front spring isolators with lift?
Sponsored