Sponsored

Clicking noise in 4wd while making tight left turns

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Brand new JLUR. Took it "offroad" on a grass/sand/gravel lot since I wanted to exercise it in 4wd. Everything seemed to check out, until I made a sharp left turn while in 4wd low. (To be clear, yes, I know not to use 4wd on dry pavement)

It was a rapid clicking noise that seemed to come from the driver's lower dash area - almost sounded like thin aluminum tapping, or even a relay firing rapidly, if that makes sense. I thought maybe this was some oddity of the ABS or traction control system, so turned that off but still heard it.

I could reproduce it a couple of times with a tight left turn in 4wd high, but don't hear it at all in 2wd high.

Any ideas? It was a really unusual sound but I'm stumped as to what it could be.
Sponsored

OP
OP
flot

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Oh jeez. Thanks for that - didn’t spot that thread when I searched. Oddly I can’t reproduce in 2wd.

OP
OP
flot

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Put the Jeep up on a lift, sure enough, the drivers side lower ball joint was a little loose (took about a quarter turn) but passenger side took a good half turn or more to bring into spec. Will see if that resolves the noise and report back.

Sponsored

jerrygcoffey

First Name
Jeramiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0T w/ eTorque
Occupation
Software Engineer
Did you resolve your issue?

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
I try not to turn real hard in 4WD and even switch into 2WD if hard turns are needed. Even if on loose ground it can still be a bit stressful to front u Joints. It may prolong the life of components a bit. As you found it can be a ball joint issue of them not being seated well enough causing the snapping.

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1C4HJXEG7KW544154
Occupation
Spear Fisher
Brand new JLUR. Took it "offroad" on a grass/sand/gravel lot since I wanted to exercise it in 4wd. Everything seemed to check out, until I made a sharp left turn while in 4wd low. (To be clear, yes, I know not to use 4wd on dry pavement)

It was a rapid clicking noise that seemed to come from the driver's lower dash area - almost sounded like thin aluminum tapping, or even a relay firing rapidly, if that makes sense. I thought maybe this was some oddity of the ABS or traction control system, so turned that off but still heard it.

I could reproduce it a couple of times with a tight left turn in 4wd high, but don't hear it at all in 2wd high.

Any ideas? It was a really unusual sound but I'm stumped as to what it could be.
Disconnect Your ESC fuse. that sound is your ESC solenoid I believe.
Sponsored