sebythellama

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Earlier today I was running some light to moderate trails in my area, and I noticed a clicking/clunking sound coming from what seemed to be the front drivers side of the car. It seemed to happen more when I was turning, and also when going over a rock or a change in elevation.

In order to get to the trail, there was a gravel road that I had to take, and while driving I heard a loud clanking sound that I just assumed was a rock hitting the underside of the car, and kind of disregarded it. After that sound, the clank started. I wonder if maybe a gravel piece hit something or got caught somewhere.

I read somewhere it could be sway bar bushings or a tie rod end link, but I'm really not sure. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here's a video of the sound.
Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Unfortunately I can't hear the sound or view the video.

That being said, I would definitely check your sway bar and the end links. I was having a clanking noise coming from my front driver's side, mostly when I would go over bumps/potholes. I was an idiot and just kept driving on it. Well, finally took it in, turns out my end links were all jacked up and destroyed my sway bar after driving around like that for so long. And I was out of warranty by that point, so it was a 700-dollar repair.

Don't be me. Check those out as soon as you can.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
That doesn’t sound like sway bar links, sounds like shock or spring noise. Crawl under your Jeep and take a look.

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
if you ask me it almost sounds like a heat sheild , or possibly the dust sheild on the brakes get under it and slap things around until u can make it happen

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I just had a clunking noise start happening as well. Grab your tie rod and try to rotate it. Try the same with the drag link. Mine rotate both directions and clunk at the stopping point. It’s annoying but I don’t think it’s an issue. Not in my case anyway. 2020 JLUR

Sponsored

OP
OP
sebythellama

sebythellama

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
if you ask me it almost sounds like a heat sheild , or possibly the dust sheild on the brakes get under it and slap things around until u can make it happen
That doesn’t sound like sway bar links, sounds like shock or spring noise. Crawl under your Jeep and take a look.
Went under and checked it out, everything looked alright but I did notice something a bit odd. On the driver's side the sway bar was a lot closer to the spring then it was on the passenger side. I wonder if maybe the link is bumping into the spring? Up until now I figured it was the dust shield, but I haven't had the time to actually inspect that fully so I don't know yet.

OP
OP
sebythellama

sebythellama

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a video:

OP
OP
sebythellama

sebythellama

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
i cant see the video
It's basically just showing the difference. Theres still space between but it is noticeably less space on the driver's side. On further inspection though, there weren't any markings on the springs so I don't think they are hitting. Still, bit of an odd situation.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It's basically just showing the difference. Theres still space between but it is noticeably less space on the driver's side. On further inspection though, there weren't any markings on the springs so I don't think they are hitting. Still, bit of an odd situation.
Normal

If you bounce the front end up and down, is the noise repeatable?

Last edited:

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
if you have time you can remove the sway bar end links and bounce the front end around.
its alot easier to bounce it around .

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Check for stones between disk and shield, they can get stuck in there and make all sorts of rattling noises.
Sponsored