Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

ive been discussing with @zeebo56 tackling this trail for quite some time. ive done it a handful of times but its been quite a while. he's never been there.

we're planning for Saturday November 27th. the weekend following Thanksgiving.

in my opinion, this is THE most fun trail ive done yet. this is a moderate trail but there are bypasses for every obstacle. this is THE first trail i ever took my Sport on. i was bone stock on Rubi 33s and did all the same stuff the JK Rubis on 37s did. it is much easier on 35s with a lift but it can be done in a stock jeep (with decent tires).

Cleghorn is off the 15 juuuust south of the Cajon Pass.

this is typically an all day affair some come prepared. bring lunch, a chair and plenty of water and make sure your gas tank is full.

if you are a total N00B and have never taken your JL off road no worries, there are bypasses for every obstacle. last time i went there was a stock Grand Cherokee trailhawk doing all the same obstacles us modded wranglers were doing, we were in awe lol. if you dont feel comfortable doing an obstacle you can watch others tackle it and simply drive around it.

its a long day so best to start somewhat early. i think 9am is a decent time. not TOO early and not too late. and you shouldnt get stuck in traffic on the way there at that time. usually some people go for dinner/drinks afterwards.

post up if youre interested in joining us. i look foward to meeting more members of this forum :beer:

this also gives you plenty of time to prepare and do any mods you've been lagging on getting done lol

1. JLUin818
2. Entropy
3. EngineXI
4. R3tro
5. Rassler215
6. Rsmwrangler
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
If you ran Cleghorn in to dry season you will find it is a very different winter trail. So if it has recently rained or is raining it becomes much harder do to the slickness of the type of mud and definitely not for those with stock street bias tires. Even the stock Rubicon BFG KO2s becomes “balled up” and are nearly useless.

OP
OP
Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

If you ran Cleghorn in to dry season you will find it is a very different winter trail. So if it has recently rained or is raining it becomes much harder do to the slickness of the type of mud and definitely not for those with stock street bias tires. Even the stock Rubicon BFG KO2s becomes “balled up” and are nearly useless.
thanks for the tip. it rained about a week ago. hopefully it stays dry till then.

i watched a video on YT of people doing the trail in the snow. that's nuts! lol

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Oh man if its the most fun trail youve ever done you gotta branch out more lol

Rassler215

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Im in to see how it goes. Ive got a jlu sport with stock tires, so hopefully it stays dry!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Oh man if its the most fun trail youve ever done you gotta branch out more lol
ive been to a handful of trails in the so cal area. i just prefer Cleghorn for the obstacles. its like an amusement park for jeeps lol.

i also stay as local as possible. dont want to drive more than 2 hours or so and not an overnight jeeper/camper. some day hopefully rubicon and moab but those are exceptions.

OP
OP
Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Im in to see how it goes. Ive got a jlu sport with stock tires, so hopefully it stays dry!
do you have the street tires/ aka mini van tires? or at least the all terrain BFGs? that's what mine came with.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I cant go that weekend but most weekends im free

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I'm interested as this is about 45min from me! I've done Del Sur Ridge which is next to it but have always wanted to try Cleghorn with a group. Following and will update with my availability as we get nearer. Thanks for organizing!

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
My story with Cleghorn. Few years ago had taken Cleghorn from the 15 and ended up in Silverwood Lake. Somehow I got off Cleghorn with a right fork. Last July I had a weekend in Big Bear and took off roads as much as I could to get back home in OC. Out of Lake Arrowhead I took a trail to Silverwood Lake and hit the 138. Rolling down 138 I saw Cleghorn and figure why not, take it to the 15. Trail didn't look familiar and was lengthy and tight with bushes and trees. I ended up coming out at Devore, 15 and 215. Found out there are 2 Cleghorn Rd's from 138, one goes to the 15, the other ends at county 2N 49 and runs through Cleghorn pass. Nice run and great views.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I cant go that weekend but most weekends im free
that's too bad. it would be great if we had some really experienced people join in to help as spotters. hopefully we can get another group day again soon. i live sooo much closer now and am down to go here and other nearby trails.

i chose this particular weekend because its Zeebos only Saturday off for the rest of his life.

Rassler215

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
do you have the street tires/ aka mini van tires? or at least the all terrain BFGs? that's what mine came with.
They are the minivan tires that come with the mopar 20" rims now... Should be fun!

OP
OP
Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I might be able to swing this. I'll see how my Thanksgiving weekend shapes up
hiking up and down the obstacles is a good way to burn off TG calories! lol

ps i highly recommend wearing hiking boots/shoes for this trail. its common to get out of your jeep and watch others traverse obstacles. practically everywhere you step on this trail is on a slope and its slippery. wear tennis shoes and guaranteed you will fall on your ass. ask me how i know!

ps feel free to bring your dog and or kids, as long as they get along with others (both the dogs and the kids lol).
Sponsored