Clear vinyl wrap for paint protection

MMcCarstle

First Name
Mandi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Rubicon ordered 5/4/2021
Has anyone done this or looked into it for their rig?
Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
worth it?
If money were no option would you do it?

I would. I tend to lean towards the self healing vinyl. PPF is all the rage in the high end car market and they are paying crazy money for it.

I can do it all myself so the cost is less. I'm a big fan of PPF then a ceramic coating over the top. It's excessive. But so is my Jeep. 😎

OP
OP
MMcCarstle

MMcCarstle

First Name
Mandi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If money were no option would you do it?

I would. I tend to lean towards the self healing vinyl. PPF is all the rage in the high end car market and they are paying crazy money for it.

I can do it all myself so the cost is less. I'm a big fan of PPF then a ceramic coating over the top. It's excessive. But so is my Jeep. 😎
thanks!!

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
If you have painted fenders flares and do any off road or dirt road driving it is well worth the money to have the rear fender flare covered. Especially if you have a dark colored Jeep.

OP
OP
MMcCarstle

MMcCarstle

First Name
Mandi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have painted fenders flares and do any off road or dirt road driving it is well worth the money to have the rear fender flare covered. Especially if you have a dark colored Jeep.
I did not order painted flares for that reason lol.

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

Anyone try any of the heavier duty/thicker wraps for protection on the trail? I have some minor pin striping on my JLUR and I don't mind it, but after five years I may not have paint left. The trails in my area are heavily forested and you are often plowing through tree branches..

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
Someone said if money is not a option, would you do it, for me money is not an option and I was just thinking of buying another Jeep or two which would make more sense then wrapping one. Never made sense to me and never will.

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

Someone said if money is not a option, would you do it, for me money is not an option and I was just thinking of buying another Jeep or two which would make more sense then wrapping one. Never made sense to me and never will.
Not sure if I follow. Instead of protecting your investment for 5-10 years you would just buy a new one every few years? I guess if it was stock sure, but to re-modify suspension, drivetrain, etc. on top of the used/new car offset, you'd exceed the cost of wrapping it multiply times over.

I do ok financially, but that's a stretch for me...

Sponsored

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
I have a strip on the leading edge of my hood, I have a precut piece for the grille I haven't installed yet. Those locations are more for highway rock chips as I have a long commute.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I think for the cost they want installed, it’s not worth it. I always thought it looks funny, more orange peel looking even when compared to our factory paint. Plus after a few years they seem to look crappy around the edges. For the price they want installed, I can get the front end repainted for the same price (I also don’t buy metallic paint for this reason, so it can be easily blended).

Ceramic coatings can be worth while though, assuming you find someone knowledgeable and reasonable in price (or at least doesn’t go crazy with paint correction) or do it yourself.