NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Diesel Owners Jeep Wave 👋
I just installed the Redline Hood Struts....see below
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ou-do-to-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/post-1974153

Noticed how dirty the engine compartment is? 😲
I would like to wash it off safely?
Some of you, Plz be gentle, last engine I was cleaning was a 12yo Honda 🤣
I remebering covering the Alternator with plastic shopping bag
Anything i should be aware of?
Thx
Jeep Wrangler JL Cleaning/Soap/ECO-DIESEL Engine? 🤔 Screenshot_20220606-232056_Chrome
Sponsored

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Plenty of videos on washing the engine bay. I still cover sensitive electronics with plastic and use an appropriate cleaner on a WARM (not hot) engine with a scrub brush. I use a pressure washer, but at a distance. Reason being I don’t want high pressure water forcing itself into any sensor connectors or whatnot. The pressure washer won’t flood a ton of water into the bay like a plain hose will.

I’ll blow it out with compressed air afterward and so far haven’t had any issues. Granted that was with my ‘01 XJ…I’ll do the same with my JLURD when I get it.

JamC12H23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Diesel
Careful, I’m not with my Jeep right now but I remember seeing something imprinted in the plastic shroud that implied no spraying. Like a pressure washer handle with a line through it. I will try to remember to get a pic later.

OP
OP
NewbJLUOwner

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
Careful, I’m not with my Jeep right now but I remember seeing something imprinted in the plastic shroud that implied no spraying. Like a pressure washer handle with a line through it. I will try to remember to get a pic later.
Much appreciated heads up 🙏
There is nothing on the internet regarding the 3.0L Eco-Diesel Engine wash
There a few 3.6L videos, different engine

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Much appreciated heads up 🙏
There is nothing on the internet regarding the 3.0L Eco-Diesel Engine wash
There a few 3.6L videos, different engine
Once every 2 months While using a foam cannon for an exterior wash I will open the hood from the engine give it a light phone treatment. Followed with the pressure washer rinse held approximately 2' away with the wide angle spray. Get the same with my 3.6 seems to work well with the 3.0 diesel. I don't cover anything never had an issue and I don't keep the engine running when I do it. Use the leaf blower to blow off excess water when I wash the Jeep the same treatment to the engine bay after the rinse.
Just take note of that air intake, it sits right up top, so I just avoid spraying that area, This includes the felt insulation underneath the hood.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NewbJLUOwner

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
Once every 2 months While using a foam cannon for an exterior wash I will open the hood from the engine give it a light phone treatment. Followed with the pressure washer rinse held approximately 2' away with the wide angle spray. Get the same with my 3.6 seems to work well with the 3.0 diesel. I don't cover anything never had an issue and I don't keep the engine running when I do it. Use the leaf blower to blow off excess water when I wash the Jeep the same treatment to the engine bay after the rinse.
Just take note of that air intake, it sits right up top, so I just avoid spraying that area, This includes the felt insulation underneath the hood.
Thanks so much 👍

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
When I wash the truck, I back it out of the garage, open the hood and spray the area with Mean Green from The dollar store. Let is set for a few minutes and rinse. Been doing it for years, never had a problem and the engine and compartment are clean.

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
When I wash the truck, I back it out of the garage, open the hood and spray the area with Mean Green from The dollar store. Let is set for a few minutes and rinse. Been doing it for years, never had a problem and the engine and compartment are clean.
Do you use the same method on your Jeep?

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

Outback101

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350 Diesel, 2015 JKU Gasser, 2022 JKU Diesel
Simple Green, Mean Green, and Third Power ( a Drummond/Lawson Products cleaner) all work great under the hood. But my most recent favorite is Dawn Platinum dish soap. I just cleaned the JK from top to bottom and was really impressed with how clean all the plastics came and how well the engine bay looked. All the dirt/grime had vacated the surface of the plastics. I gently washed with a mitt what was easy under the hood and slopped the rest of the suds on/around everything else. Just mix it up like your getting ready to do a good car wash and use luke warm/warm water. NOTE: this will pretty well get a car ready for detailing as it will strip away some or most wax. I only Dawn the outside of a vehicle when I'm going to give it a detail job.

askursh

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2021 JLU Rubicon
i mix some simple green with water, give a nice even covering, use some small brushes to agitate any heavy areas, then spray it down.

I cover the alternator with a plastic bag, but aside from that jeep designed the engine to basically be submerged so dont worry about to much.

OP
OP
NewbJLUOwner

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
i mix some simple green with water, give a nice even covering, use some small brushes to agitate any heavy areas, then spray it down.

I cover the alternator with a plastic bag, but aside from that jeep designed the engine to basically be submerged so dont worry about to much.
Thanks much 👍
Will try when I'm eventually done traveling

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
Hey Diesel Owners Jeep Wave 👋
I just installed the Redline Hood Struts....see below
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ou-do-to-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/post-1974153

Noticed how dirty the engine compartment is? 😲
I would like to wash it off safely?
Some of you, Plz be gentle, last engine I was cleaning was a 12yo Honda 🤣
I remebering covering the Alternator with plastic shopping bag
Anything i should be aware of?
Thx
Jeep Wrangler JL Cleaning/Soap/ECO-DIESEL Engine? 🤔 Screenshot_20220606-232056_Chrome
I’ve been washing all the cars/trucks I’ve owned throughout the years including my diesel Wrangler

warm up the engine bay unless it’s a hot day. For a few minutes.Spray down a mix of soap and water and using a spray bottle soap down the whole engine bay. Wait a few minutes for the soap to do it’s thing start up the engine and with a gentle water nozzle
Start by working around the areas where there is most of the grime. From top to bottom. Side to side use a soft bristle brush to agitate tuff areas. Once you are happy with it. Start hosing it down. Do NOT use high pressure water around the air filter , injectors the valley of the head between the block move the water spray pattern around. (Engine still running ). Be careful of all moving parts
Use high pressure air. Or a blower of some type start with moving around the blower all around. Firewall. Air box. Injection areas. Battery area and use a good towel to start drying all down
After about 10 minutes. Shut it down keep drying and using air to dry it complete. I use a pressure washer. Keeping it circling and moving no direct pressure washer !!! I’ve been using hi pressure washer for over 20+ years. You will get used to it. 👍
Also for the area with heavy grease/oil /mud. Like on the frame. Engine cradle and the block itself. Use a balanced degreaser like Gunk. For best results I use a steamer I bought a while back from harbor freight. Works amazing.
Have fun and pay attention to delicate areas and common sense goes a lot way !!