JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I went with a Currie set up. The cheaper 60’s. They have recently went up in price like everything else.
love that you "Built" this rig, At first I was kind of bummed about picking up a sport, but seeing the aftermarket and the possibility of building some stronger than a Rubi, its awesome.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
love that you "Built" this rig, At first I was kind of bummed about picking up a sport, but seeing the aftermarket and the possibility of building some stronger than a Rubi, its awesome.
I plan on putting 35s on my sport axle and keep the gearing 3.45 until something happens lol...the 8 speed auto is spinning my 285/70 Tire and Wheel Aev Borah pretty good about 96 lbs

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I plan on putting 35s on my sport axle and keep the gearing 3.45 until something happens lol...the 8 speed auto is spinning my 285/70 Tire and Wheel Aev Borah pretty good about 96 lbs
Your gas mileage will suffer a bit but you can run it, I'm running the stock D30 on the front & stock D44 on the rear with 3.45 gears on 35's. Don't see 7th or 8th gear unless I'm doing 65-68mph on flat ground or driving downhill. Instead of spending the extra money on a Rubicon, I decide to buy a Sport and then outfit it with Kingpin D60's custom-built by Fusion axles. The plan from here is moving to a 4" - 6" long arm kit, built axles, 5:38 gears, and 40's on bead locks. Putting cash away for the axles right now and I'm really hoping Clayton announces their JL longarm kit within the next year. I'd like to stick with them if possible

BattleBorn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited sport
Your gas mileage will suffer a bit but you can run it, I'm running the stock D30 on the front & stock D44 on the rear with 3.45 gears on 35's. Don't see 7th or 8th gear unless I'm doing 65-68mph on flat ground or driving downhill. Instead of spending the extra money on a Rubicon, I decide to buy a Sport and then outfit it with Kingpin D60's custom-built by Fusion axles. The plan from here is moving to a 4" - 6" long arm kit, built axles, 5:38 gears, and 40's on bead locks. Putting cash away for the axles right now and I'm really hoping Clayton announces their JL longarm kit within the next year. I'd like to stick with them if possible
Been waiting for that long arm to come out myself. Also looked Evo and a guy out of Utah that makes a nice long arm called Fancy B fabrication

Sponsored

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Exactly what sort of maintenance is required? Do you have any instructions and how to identify when they need the maintenance?
If you went with the Premium kit, the Johnny Joints just require some re-greasing every so often. The Overland Plus kit however is completely maintenance-free!

chwdg10

First Name
Chelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
Interested in getting the 3.5" Overland Lift Kit for my JL EcoDiesel. Holding out until the next sale.

If I've never installed a lift kit before, is this something I can do at home with my husband, or would you recommend we have a professional install the lift? We would love to get the experience of installing it ourselves. We've done all the installations on our Jeep so far.

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Sponsored

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Interested in getting the 3.5" Overland Lift Kit for my JL EcoDiesel. Holding out until the next sale.

If I've never installed a lift kit before, is this something I can do at home with my husband, or would you recommend we have a professional install the lift? We would love to get the experience of installing it ourselves. We've done all the installations on our Jeep so far.
It's really not too bad, check out some install videos like the one Ben from JK Gear and Gadgets made, and it should help prepare you a little bit. The instructions come with the lengths needed for control arms, track bars, and end links, other than that it's just getting the old stuff out and the new stuff in :like:

chwdg10

First Name
Chelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
It's really not too bad, check out some install videos like the one Ben from JK Gear and Gadgets made, and it should help prepare you a little bit. The instructions come with the lengths needed for control arms, track bars, and end links, other than that it's just getting the old stuff out and the new stuff in :like:

That's a great video! Thank you for sharing. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this lift kit.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Not sure why I never saw this but yes! 35's would need a wheel spacer though.
Bummer. Even at 11.5” width? Do the tires hit the front end links or control arms while turning? Just trying to learn why some kits you can use the factory rims as they are, and others you need wheel spacers with them or an after market rim with a different offset. Thank you.

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Bummer. Even at 11.5” width? Do the tires hit the front end links or control arms while turning? Just trying to learn why some kits you can use the factory rims as they are, and others you need wheel spacers with them or an after market rim with a different offset. Thank you.
You will probably only have minimal rubbing with the 11.5" wide tires, but it's really just the larger tires in general that create the need for additional backspacing. Our control arms use the same clearance bends as factory arms in order to help out some, but pretty much any time you're going with a larger tire some additional backspacing is necessary!

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
After a 1.5" Clayton lift, there is about 1.3" of space between the tire and LCA at full lock on a 285/70/17 tire. My tire shop said I could get by with a 315/70 if I install a washer spacer on the steering locknut.

I agree with @Clayton Off Road stance that you might need a spacer or high backspace wheel for 315/70/17. But I do not agree thats the case for 35x11.5 or 35x10.5
Why? - if you are only doing 295s (35x11.5) you only extend 0.2" inches more on the inside compared to 285s and I don't think that would be an issue esp on a Rubicon wide axle.

Rubicon (wide axle) - 35x11.5 + 2" lift = No rubbing on LCA
Sport/Sahara (narrow axle) - 35x11.5 + 2" lift AND +30/+25 offset wheel (to account for rubicon axle width deficit) = No rubbing on LCA
Sponsored

Last edited: