Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits

verapx

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR, 1982 CJ-8, 2012 Ram 2500 4WD
That great to know! I ordered that exact same set up for my JLU XR today. Can't wait to install it! What size tires are you running? I only have 6k on my K02 35s, so I will run them for a while. I would like to be able to run 37's on the stock XR wheels with this lift and no spacers if that is possible. Good to know about the bump stops. I'm not planning on installing the provided XR bump stop that comes with the kit initially. I'll add it later if required.
As soon as I can get some beadlock rings I'll run 37" Baja Boss MT's. I'm sticking with the stock 35's for now.
Sponsored

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
@Clayton Off Road

I am now leaning toward the 2.5" Overland+ Kit and JL AEV Borah wheels. Do I need to use 1"-1.25" wheel spacers or will I be fine? I will be mostly be DD my jeep and not sure if/when I might get time to wheel anytime soon. Backspace is the 5.62" I believe as the JK version isn't available anymore in the Onyx.

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hi,

Im interested in this package: https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-wrangler-15-overland-lift-kit-2018-jl-jl-4xe

What shocks would you recommend for a weekend warrior?
Fox shocks would be great if you just want a nice basic upgrade over factory shocks. They provide a nice comfortable ride on road and are great off-road for mild wheeling. Falcon shocks are nice if you are looking for more performance, like to drive a little more aggressively, or want the ability to adjust your shocks!

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@Clayton Off Road

I am now leaning toward the 2.5" Overland+ Kit and JL AEV Borah wheels. Do I need to use 1"-1.25" wheel spacers or will I be fine? I will be mostly be DD my jeep and not sure if/when I might get time to wheel anytime soon. Backspace is the 5.62" I believe as the JK version isn't available anymore in the Onyx.
Those would definitely cause a bit of rubbing with standard 12.5 wide tires, best to also go with a 1" wheel spacer!

JMP

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI, Tiguan, Buying a JL
Someone sanity check me here please?

I’m doing a Clayton 2.5 Overland Plus lift on a JLUR XR. I plan on using Fox 2.5 shocks from Accutune. There’s lead time on them and I’d really like to get an order in and have the best chance of it being correct. Lift is shipped, but not installed yet. Front shocks should be here in 10 days or so.

Front:

The 2-3” lift version seems like a clear best fit. They are within hundredths of an inch compressed and extended of the IFP and the 2.0 reservoir, and should protect the drive shaft.

Rear:

This is muddier.

2.0 2-3” IFP: 18.5-29.5”

2.5 2-3”: 17.43-28.6”

So the if the IFP compressed length is safe, I’m creating an inch of unusable compressed travel, and I’m obviously losing an inch of extended travel/droop.

2.5 3.5-4”: 18.43-30.3”

This one is much closer to the kinda gold standard 2.0 2-3” lengths. The one gotcha might be the extended length. Is it too long to retain the spring?

So, Clayton also offers this “2.5" OVERLAND+ - JL - PACKAGE DEAL”. It comes with the 2.5” Overland+ Kit, Falcon shocks, and some steering bits.

FAL-11-02-33-400-200: 18.9-31.25”

Whoa, what? This is even longer than the Fox 2.5 3.5-4” shock?! Which to me, means that the Fox 2.5 2-3” length is giving up a whole lot of available shock travel and droop, and for the REAR ONLY, the 3.5-4” shock should be the correct one in the Fox 2.5 shocks?

Thoughts on these assumptions??? Accutune does say the shock labeling can be misleading, and they have had some tunes going with the 3.5-4” 2.5 in the back…

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sponsored

JLUHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUHT (JLHT?) '19 F-150 5.0 '03 Envoy XL
Occupation
RE20 microphones
I had this exact thought about bumping up to the 3.5-4" Fox 2.0 with the Clayton 2.5" Overland + but I ended up buying the 2-3" Fox 2.0 for the 2.5" out of ignorance of some unknown downside.

I'm very curious about your findings as I suspect they'd work well based on comparing their specs with the Falcon's but there may be something I'm missing or not understanding.

Someone sanity check me here please?

Thanks for your thoughts!

JMP

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI, Tiguan, Buying a JL
I’ve got the same fear about missing/not understanding something. I used a suspension spreadsheet I found on here to calculate bump/droop with 2.5” and 3” of lift (for when my back end is unloaded) and this is what resulted:

Values are bump, droop, % extension:
2.5” lift:
2.0 2-3” IFP: 5.71/4.79/54%
2.5 2-3”: 5.71/3.89/60%
2.5 3.5-4”: 5.71/5.60/51%

3.0” lift:
2.0 2-3” IFP: 6.16/4.34/59%
2.5 2-3”: 6.16/3.44/64%
2.5 3.5-4”: 6.16/5.15/54%

The 2.5 3.5-4” really evens things out, gets some droop back.

As luck would have it, the rear 2.5s are back ordered until February with accutune… that means march by the time they are tuned and shipped. I’ll grab some cheap IFP rears on a sale to put in for now, then I can lift, measure, and make sure the 3.5-4” 2.5 will be okay before they arrive. Also… I wanna get to some trails before pollen season hits 😂

quick66

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Hightide Edition
Clayton Off Road Overland+ 2.5" lift on a 2022 JLUR Diesel:

I picked up my JLUR Diesel mid-April. It has the OEM steel bumpers. I installed the 2.5" Clayton Diesel Overland+ lift right away, as well as 37" BFG KM3's, and a winch (among other smaller things).

I achieved an overall lift from the ground to the bottom of the fender lip after adding the lift, the winch, and the 37" tires of 4.00 inches.

OEM/Pre-lift/Pre-winch/Pre-tires: 39.75" (I know it looks like 39.5" but I swear it wasn't!)

pre tires and lift.jpg

Post-lift, tires and winch: 43.75"

post tires and lift.jpg

Here are photos of OEM, post lift/pre tire install, and final with lift and 37" tires.

OEM:
stock.jpg

2.5" Clayton Overland+ and winch, OEM tires and wheels
after lift pre 37.jpg

Final product with Clayton Off Road Overland+ 2.5" lift, 37" BFG KM3's, winch
After Lift.jpg

I've put about 1000 miles on it since this work was done. I'm very happy with it. The ride is excellent, at least as good as OEM. I was worried that between the lift and D-rated tires, the ride would stiffen up too much - that wasn't the case. I am running Fox 2.0 shocks BTW. I am having a very slight rear tire rub on full flex that I didn't expect and will take care of by heating the inner liner as others have suggested.

Great job, Clayton Off-Road! (And thanks to Red Desert Off Road in St. George, UT for the installation and great service)

P.S. Since this photo, I've added the LOD Armor-Lite sliders and step which is helpful for entering the Jeep after the lift/tires height increase.
Your Jeep looks great! I’m getting ready to install the 2.5” Overland lift on my JLU XR. Will stay on the 35” tires for now, but want to go to 37”. Are you running spacers with the 37” tires and XR wheels? Which tires are you running? What are your impressions of the Clayton lift now that you’ve had it for a while? Thanks!

DGT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel, Ford Excursion,Volvo XC70
Your Jeep looks great! I’m getting ready to install the 2.5” Overland lift on my JLU XR. Will stay on the 35” tires for now, but want to go to 37”. Are you running spacers with the 37” tires and XR wheels? Which tires are you running? What are your impressions of the Clayton lift now that you’ve had it for a while? Thanks!
Thanks. I'm pleased with the COR lift. Its highway ride is better than stock and has done great offroading. There are no squeaks or creaks; all solid so far. I have no complaints and would buy/install the same lift if I did it all over again today. Top quality.

I'm not running spacers with the XR wheels. I'm running 37" BFG KM3's. Minimal rubbing of rears on the fender liner at full flex on occasion (per forum input, can be fixed by a hot air gun, but I haven't done that yet).

Lift height update: after 5k miles on the lift, the springs have settled .75" in the front and 1.25" in the rear, so net height with the COR 2.5 lift is now 3.25" front and 2.75" rear (down from 4" upon install).

quick66

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I'm pleased with the COR lift. Its highway ride is better than stock and has done great offroading. There are no squeaks or creaks; all solid so far. I have no complaints and would buy/install the same lift if I did it all over again today. Top quality.

I'm not running spacers with the XR wheels. I'm running 37" BFG KM3's. Minimal rubbing of rears on the fender liner at full flex on occasion (per forum input, can be fixed by a hot air gun, but I haven't done that yet).

Lift height update: after 5k miles on the lift, the springs have settled .75" in the front and 1.25" in the rear, so net height with the COR 2.5 lift is now 3.25" front and 2.75" rear (down from 4" upon install).
Perfect that’s exactly the feedback I was hoping for! Thanks very much!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits Christmas 2022 mobile

We want to lift your holiday spirits and your Jeep this Christmas!

Until December 31st, free shipping on all orders over $499!

Plus, take an extra 5% off all non-sale items with code: Lifted

Performance Packages are currently on sale for up to $656 off!

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/#

quick66

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New front arms, track bar and springs in. Passenger from shock done. I have to do the drivers side shock and the the front sway bar end links. Then the front will be done. Everything is going good. Just a lot of alignment struggles with the bolt holes having to use ratchet straps so it slows me down. Would be nice to have a helper. I’m about 5 hours in. Probably 6-6.5 hour to finish the front total. This is my first lift kit install, but I’ve done a lot of suspension work on cars and trucks before. Can’t wait to get it done and back on thenground.

9C0412DF-275C-4015-9202-84641CA86958.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: