Sponsored

Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Put her through the paces this Saturday at Rausch Creek and she performed nicely!!!

CAC421BC-12AC-4320-B889-F32A6AD9AF95.jpeg
I miss Rauch Creek. Haven’t been in ages. Looks fun.

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
No, just regular 2.0 Performance. Is the 2.0 Reservoir good for on road? Are they adjustable?
Unfortunately Fox got rid of their adjustable 2.0 RR shocks. However, they do have 2.5 shocks with both high and low speed compression adjusters. Super nice stuff.

Main reason I asked if you had remote reservoirs or not, is thats a shock that can be tuned for your driving preference. Although not manually adjustable, it would be a lot cheaper than replacing all the shocks with something else. Unfortunately the IFP shocks are not tunable and don't offer the same performance.

Rlhdude

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Limited Willys
Unfortunately Fox got rid of their adjustable 2.0 RR shocks. However, they do have 2.5 shocks with both high and low speed compression adjusters. Super nice stuff.

Main reason I asked if you had remote reservoirs or not, is thats a shock that can be tuned for your driving preference. Although not manually adjustable, it would be a lot cheaper than replacing all the shocks with something else. Unfortunately the IFP shocks are not tunable and don't offer the same performance.
Thank you for the feedback. Looks like I should have done more home work on shock and installer choice.

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Thank you for the feedback. Looks like I should have done more home work on shock and installer choice.
All good, if you have any specific questions feel free to send over a direct message

Sponsored

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
All good, if you have any specific questions feel free to send over a direct message
So I’m trying to choose between shocks for my next Jeep, and trying to understand some things:
  • I understand rebuildable Fox 2.0 IFP shocks have a shorter lifespan (e.g two years before they should be rebuilt) than something like Bilstein 5100 which last longer, but are throw away. But how about Fox shocks with a remote reservoir? Do Fox shocks with a remote reservoir have a longer lifespan (before they need to be rebuilt)?
  • I have tried adjustable Rancho 9000, which I don’t consider quality shocks, but here is what I understand. If you set the shocks to a soft setting then you get comfort but you loose handling and I even heard make it more likely to develop death wobble. If you set the shocks to a stiff setting then you lose on comfort but gain control. Are Fox adjustable shocks any different? How do they balance all this on stock suspensions?

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I’ve used Bilstein for over a decade. They lasted long and I was ok with them. I’m just taking the opportunity to try something different and possibly a little softer. Trying to understand Fox choices better.

I like low maintenance. Haha.

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
So I’m trying to choose between shocks for my next Jeep, and trying to understand some things:
  • I understand rebuildable Fox 2.0 IFP shocks have a shorter lifespan (e.g two years before they should be rebuilt) than something like Bilstein 5100 which last longer, but are throw away. But how about Fox shocks with a remote reservoir? Do Fox shocks with a remote reservoir have a longer lifespan (before they need to be rebuilt)?
  • I have tried adjustable Rancho 9000, which I don’t consider quality shocks, but here is what I understand. If you set the shocks to a soft setting then you get comfort but you loose handling and I even heard make it more likely to develop death wobble. If you set the shocks to a stiff setting then you lose on comfort but gain control. Are Fox adjustable shocks any different? How do they balance all this on stock suspensions?
-Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks are very difficult to take apart & charge which is why Fox may be the only ones who will rebuild them for you (long lead times), most other companies that work on shocks will not. We consider these"throw away shocks". Not tunable or rebuildable from us. Lifespan for those depend on use and abuse just like any other shock.
-Fox Shocks with a remote reservoir will last longer than an IFP shock. The reservoir allows for more oil, less operating pressure which helps the seals last much longer than a non-reservoir shock. These are also tunable and rebuildable. Great shock, huge variety of lengths available and something we recommend for street/trail Jeeps.
-Fox does not have adjustable 2.0 RR shocks available anymore. For the 2.5 shocks with DSC adjusters, they are far more superior with adjustability than Rancho shock. "DSC" Dual Speed Compression Adjuster allows you to fine tune the high speed compression and low speed compression manually. This allows you to keep the shocks soft for street driving, and firm for off-road driving keeping he Jeep from bottoming out as quickly.

A few great articles we have that go into depth about these exact questions:
- IFP vs Remote Reservoir vs Emulsion Shocks
-2.0 vs 2.5 vs 3.0 Shocks for a Jeep
-Should I get DSC adjusters?

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
@Clayton Off Road

Is this what it looks like with your 2.5" or 3.5" lift? This picture shows up on both the 2.5" Overland+ product page and the 3.5" Overland+ product page on the Clayton Offroad website, so I can't tell. Zooming in it sits on 37x12.50R17 tires which is what I'm interested in.
Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits Jeep Wrangler 3.5 OVERLAND+ Lift Kit 2018+ JL

Since the Fifteen52 Analog wheels have 4.75” backspacing and a 0 offset will they work with the Clayton lift kit? Is this the correct fitment for a JL: "17x8.5 | 6x139.7 ETO | 6x5.5” | BS 4.75"?
Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits fifteen52

By the way, as I mentioned before, I've been using the 4.5" Clayton lift kit for 13 years on my JK and they were really great. Lasted all these years on my daily driver with little to no maintenance aside from greasing joints every now and then. Only had to change a joint or two all these years. It's seen off-road and performs amazing!!! Very capable and confident. On the road it handles really nice. I had Bilstein shocks most of the time and only recently had to change the springs for the first time.

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@Clayton Off Road

Is this what it looks like with your 2.5" or 3.5" lift? This picture shows up on both the 2.5" Overland+ product page and the 3.5" Overland+ product page on the Clayton Offroad website, so I can't tell. Zooming in it sits on 37x12.50R17 tires which is what I'm interested in.

Since the Fifteen52 Analog wheels have 4.75” backspacing and a 0 offset will they work with the Clayton lift kit? Is this the correct fitment for a JL: "17x8.5 | 6x139.7 ETO | 6x5.5” | BS 4.75"?

By the way, as I mentioned before, I've been using the 4.5" Clayton lift kit for 13 years on my JK and they were really great. Lasted all these years on my daily driver with little to no maintenance aside from greasing joints every now and then. Only had to change a joint or two all these years. It's seen off-road and performs amazing!!! Very capable and confident. On the road it handles really nice. I had Bilstein shocks most of the time and only recently had to change the springs for the first time.
That photo of the white JL is with our 2.5" Overland Plus kit with 37" tires! And yes that wheel and backspacing will work perfectly!

Sponsored

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
Pic with no specs :) . Nice Jeep. Do you mind sharing info?

clayton 2.5 or 3.5? Tire size?
2.5 Overland Plus with Fox 2.0xs, 38x13.50r17 on mopar performance wheels with Spidertrax spacers.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
That photo of the white JL is with our 2.5" Overland Plus kit with 37" tires! And yes that wheel and backspacing will work perfectly!
@Clayton Off Road

Thank you very much!!!

It’s hard to decide between the 2.5 and 3.5 lift for 37” tires because we don’t have pictures to compare both heights with 37s. Are there any pictures of the 3.5” lift with 37” tires? My Jeep will be unusually light so I’m looking at pics of lift and no accessories as my guide.

I paged through all the pictures on this thread but all are of the 2.5 with various wheels/tires, and they look so different too (and none have aftermarket heavy accessories yet). I also looked at Clayton’s website but website doesn’t make it clear which are of the 2.5 and 3.5.

Also any thoughts on or experience with the Bilstein 8100? I like that you can adjust both compression and rebound, especially because my Jeep will be unusually light. I understand they are not particularly easy to adjust, but I believe much cheaper than comparable products.

Thanks again. I just ask them here instead of calling for benefit of others.

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I was in the same boat and purchased the 3.5”. I’m still waiting for it to ship but I’ll post pictures as soon as I get the lift on.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
@Clayton Off Road

Thank you very much!!!

It’s hard to decide between the 2.5 and 3.5 lift for 37” tires because we don’t have pictures to compare both heights with 37s. Are there any pictures of the 3.5” lift with 37” tires? My Jeep will be unusually light so I’m looking at pics of lift and no accessories as my guide.

I paged through all the pictures on this thread but all are of the 2.5 with various wheels/tires, and they look so different too (and none have aftermarket heavy accessories yet). I also looked at Clayton’s website but website doesn’t make it clear which are of the 2.5 and 3.5.

Also any thoughts on or experience with the Bilstein 8100? I like that you can adjust both compression and rebound, especially because my Jeep will be unusually light. I understand they are not particularly easy to adjust, but I believe much cheaper than comparable products.

Thanks again. I just ask them here instead of calling for benefit of others.
Its usually best to keep it as low as you can to fit the tires you want. Their 2.5 is more like a 3-3.5 lift and fits 37s w/o rubbing on a rubicon (i don't know on the other fenders). And since your jeep is "unusually light" you will see slightly more lift than average.

As far as bilsteins, I have my opinions of digressive shocks and prefer linear. I think bilsteins are great on cars and jeeps that mostly see pavement or high speed desert running. IMO for offroad absorbancy there are better choices, but it isn't that bilsteins are bad, just pretty harsh on any washboard road compared to other options.
Sponsored

Last edited: