Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just installed the Clayton 2.5” Overland+ with some 35s this week. Looks good, drives good. Looking forward to taking it out this weekend on some central Florida trails.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits C6F9C921-F0F8-4D5D-ADDF-2B93A3E9C038

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits C6F9C921-F0F8-4D5D-ADDF-2B93A3E9C038

Nice! Looking forward to seeing some wheeling photos! :rock:

Rlhdude

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Limited Willys
Just got my Clayton 2.5 Overland lift installed. Looks great. I paired them with the Fox 2.0 shock. This does feel harsher on the road rough spots than my Rubicon suspension was. Is this due to my shock choice or due to the non progressive springs. Thoughts?

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Just got my Clayton 2.5 Overland lift installed. Looks great. I paired them with the Fox 2.0 shock. This does feel harsher on the road rough spots than my Rubicon suspension was. Is this due to my shock choice or due to the non progressive springs. Thoughts?

Shocks play a much larger roll in ride quality.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I pretty much feel springs basically set ride height and little else, shocks set ride quality.

Sponsored

Rlhdude

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input. I might consider the Rancho 9000 which are adjustable. Also just learned My tires are rubbing. Thought I could get away with 285/75 17 on stock rims. I like my Willys rims. No rubbing prior so these new control arms must be straighter than factory. Sigh...starting to regret this move.

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Spacers work well with stock wheels. If you swapped tires i would also check tire pressure. Shops love to over inflate tires which leads to a rougher ride.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
@Clayton Off Road

I’ve been driving a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JK) on Clayton’s 4.5” complete lift kit (installed in 2008) and 37” BFG KM2 and now KM3. For 13 years it served me very well. I just recently replaced all springs and all shocks with new ones from Clayton (Bilstein shocks like before).

Anyways, I recently ordered a new JL, similarly equipped to my current JK. Now waiting for it.

I have some questions about the “3.5" OVERLAND+ Lift Kit 2018+, JL”:
  1. What is the lifespan expectancy of your maintenance free Giiro Joints compared to your greaseable ones? I’m looking for both numbers. I really like to switch to the maintenance free option but as you can see I keep my Jeeps for a long time. With the Overland package are there any other greaseable parts at all to worry about?
  2. I understand the 2.5” lift is sufficient for 37” tires, but do 37” tires look ok with the 3.5” lift, or does it look silly?
  3. This time around I want a softer ride. My current JK and my newly coming JL will be very light... more than usual (half doors, manual transmission, plastic bumpers, soft top, no spare tire/wheel, no overlanding gear). For 13 years I loved my Clayton lift and Bilstein shocks (I tried the Rancho 9000 for a while) but always felt all the smallest imperfections on and off the road. Which Clayton tuned shocks do you recommend for me? What about the springs? I’m sure they are designed for overlanding added weight but I have less than even typical plain vanilla Jeep.
  4. I like to buy a complete kit up front that will correct geometry/steering/everything for daily on road use and for off road use. Does it include front and rear extended break lines? Any other geometry correction brackets? I thought the Clayton 4.5” kit on my JK has a lot more parts. Anything else I would need? What do you mean by front drive shaft recommended but not necessary? Could it tear off at first full flex?
  5. Will I be able to use my Rubicon’s sway bar disconnects with this lift kit? Also, if I keep them connected, limiting suspension travel, will the stock front drive shaft be ok?

Here is a picture of my current JK Rubicon on Clayton 4.5:

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits FF927C48-FD33-4566-9C70-8AC2C0C81239

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits A5E6847A-0387-4CAB-843B-5AB0958A6909

And here is what I ordered:

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits 81736A0E-A56B-4D06-A70D-008A8D5B49D6

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits 1EAB2CF8-BB57-40DF-B4F7-0D837CEFCBFF

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks for the input. I might consider the Rancho 9000 which are adjustable. Also just learned My tires are rubbing. Thought I could get away with 285/75 17 on stock rims. I like my Willys rims. No rubbing prior so these new control arms must be straighter than factory. Sigh...starting to regret this move.
Definitely look into a softer shock option if you feel the Fox are too stiff! Bilstein might be another great choice to look into if you can find some, they're a softer ride than the Fox, but still the Fox shocks are usually looked at as a relatively neutral option when it comes to what's soft and stiff. As for your wheels rubbing, we do keep the same factory-style clearance bends in our arms as your stock arms to allow you more backspacing with your larger wheels than most lifts offer! Unfortunately though anytime you introduce larger and wider tires to a vehicle you will need to increase backspacing somehow either by a new wheel or wheel spacers in order to limit any rubbing. I would suggest looking into a set of 1/2" wheel spacers and you should be able to keep those stock wheels you love without any issues! Give us a call or send us a PM if you have any other questions or concerns, we'll help out as much as we can to make sure your lift and vehicle are driving the way you want :like:

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I pretty much feel springs basically set ride height and little else, shocks set ride quality.
Exactly right! Springs just set up the height of the vehicle and then are basically just along for the ride :)

Sponsored

Rlhdude

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely look into a softer shock option if you feel the Fox are too stiff! Bilstein might be another great choice to look into if you can find some, they're a softer ride than the Fox, but still the Fox shocks are usually looked at as a relatively neutral option when it comes to what's soft and stiff. As for your wheels rubbing, we do keep the same factory-style clearance bends in our arms as your stock arms to allow you more backspacing with your larger wheels than most lifts offer! Unfortunately though anytime you introduce larger and wider tires to a vehicle you will need to increase backspacing somehow either by a new wheel or wheel spacers in order to limit any rubbing. I would suggest looking into a set of 1/2" wheel spacers and you should be able to keep those stock wheels you love without any issues! Give us a call or send us a PM if you have any other questions or concerns, we'll help out as much as we can to make sure your lift and vehicle are driving the way you want :like:
Thanks for your feedback. I had new 285/75 17s Toyo tires 11.5 inches wide, installed prior to the lift with no rubs at all. With lift it now rubs. This is why I was thinking the new control arms reduced my clearance. Are the control arms just thicker?

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks for your feedback. I had new 285/75 17s Toyo tires 11.5 inches wide, installed prior to the lift with no rubs at all. With lift it now rubs. This is why I was thinking the new control arms reduced my clearance. Are the control arms just thicker?
The arms are only slightly thicker, but it really shouldn't make much of a difference at all. I would make sure the track is set properly, and if you want to email or PM us a few pictures of the underneath and we can check everything out for you!

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@Clayton Off Road

I’ve been driving a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JK) on Clayton’s 4.5” complete lift kit (installed in 2008) and 37” BFG KM2 and now KM3. For 13 years it served me very well. I just recently replaced all springs and all shocks with new ones from Clayton (Bilstein shocks like before).

Anyways, I recently ordered a new JL, similarly equipped to my current JK. Now waiting for it.

I have some questions about the “3.5" OVERLAND+ Lift Kit 2018+, JL”:
  1. What is the lifespan expectancy of your maintenance free Giiro Joints compared to your greaseable ones? I’m looking for both numbers. I really like to switch to the maintenance free option but as you can see I keep my Jeeps for a long time. With the Overland package are there any other greaseable parts at all to worry about?
  2. I understand the 2.5” lift is sufficient for 37” tires, but do 37” tires look ok with the 3.5” lift, or does it look silly?
  3. This time around I want a softer ride. My current JK and my newly coming JL will be very light... more than usual (half doors, manual transmission, plastic bumpers, soft top, no spare tire/wheel, no overlanding gear). For 13 years I loved my Clayton lift and Bilstein shocks (I tried the Rancho 9000 for a while) but always felt all the smallest imperfections on and off the road. Which Clayton tuned shocks do you recommend for me? What about the springs? I’m sure they are designed for overlanding added weight but I have less than even typical plain vanilla Jeep.
  4. I like to buy a complete kit up front that will correct geometry/steering/everything for daily on road use and for off road use. Does it include front and rear extended break lines? Any other geometry correction brackets? I thought the Clayton 4.5” kit on my JK has a lot more parts. Anything else I would need? What do you mean by front drive shaft recommended but not necessary? Could it tear off at first full flex?
  5. Will I be able to use my Rubicon’s sway bar disconnects with this lift kit? Also, if I keep them connected, limiting suspension travel, will the stock front drive shaft be ok?

Here is a picture of my current JK Rubicon on Clayton 4.5:

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits 1EAB2CF8-BB57-40DF-B4F7-0D837CEFCBFF

And here is what I ordered:

Thanks for your continued support! I'll do my best to answer everything the best I can. The Giiro joints have a life expectancy of 5 to 7 years depending on what you use your vehicle for of course. This is a bit longer than your average Johnny Joint, but as you probably know Johnny Joints are rebuildable, where Giiros are not, so they would need to be replaced when worn out, and luckily are not as expensive as Johnny Joints. Overland Plus kits are completely maintenance-free so no greasing anywhere on the kit is necessary :)

A Rubicon model can fit 37" tires perfectly with only a 2.5" lift, however both 2.5" and 3.5" kits look great with 37" tires, either way it looks very proportionate and our customers tend to run both setups quite frequently.

The JL vehicle platform all around is much better at soaking up road noise and vibrations than the JK was, and our Giiro joints in our Overland Plus kit are designed to do the same exact thing. If you're looking for the softest ride possible, definitely look into going with the Overland kit and a set of Bilsteins again, or any other brand offering a softer shock option. Most of our customers tend to go with the Fox 2.0 and love the combo, but the Fox shocks are generally known for being sort of in the middle, not too soft, not too stiff.

The kits are complete and come with everything you need in order to lift your vehicle properly and maintain proper suspension geometry, the only thing you need to add are shocks, and if you plan on doing a lot wheeling or flexing the vehicle out a front driveshaft is also recommended. The reason we say recommended but not 100% necessary is because the JL uses a front-axle disconnect which keeps that front driveshaft from spinning when the vehicle isn't in 4wd, so for a daily driver or a vehicle that only sees on-road use you won't have any issues.

You can still absolutely use your Rubicons sway bar disconnect feature, the lift kit won't affect that at all. If you are going to be flexing it out disconnecting the sway bar is always recommended.

Hopefully this helps! If you have any further questions definitely give us a call or shoot us a PM and we would be more than happy to help you out however we can:like:

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Thanks for the input. I might consider the Rancho 9000 which are adjustable.
Did you get remote reservoir Fox 2.0 shocks?