Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits

The Embalmer

First Name
D. Keefer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon & 2015 Toyota Land Crusier 200
1.5-2" coils for the JL are officially in production and we should have more info available in the coming months for you guys :)
Will the 1.5-2” kit require new front drive shaft?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Will the 1.5-2” kit require new front drive shaft?
Just like with all lift kits, new driveshafts are always recommended if you plan on wheeling and flexing the vehicle pretty hard, otherwise, you really have nothing to worry about, especially with a shorter lift.

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
Sold! We will most likely put a pre-order up at some point when the date gets closer!
Please let me know on this kit also. I'm local so if you guys looking for a 2021 Rubicon to try them in I'd be interested. Looking to add 35's and the Fox 2.0 for best ride quality and weekend wheeling.

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Please let me know on this kit also. I'm local so if you guys looking for a 2021 Rubicon to try them in I'd be interested. Looking to add 35's and the Fox 2.0 for best ride quality and weekend wheeling.
Once we know how many prototype springs we're getting in we'll have more information about possible testing opportunities!

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR
Put me on the list! I'm really happy you're bringing these springs to market. I'm waiting for them.

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
It's been a while since I wrenched on my own vehicle. Most complicated I ever got to when younger was changing brakes, replacing a torn parking brake bracket, and un-hydro-locking my 4.0 I6 from my XJ by removing the intake manifold. If I understand how to measure things, will the overland 2.5" present me any issues? I'd prefer to spend labor money on re-gearing rather than installing the lift. I'm ok making a mistake, researching, and correcting. I just don't want to be unsafe with my JLUR if there are common pitfalls someone following directions with limited experience will make.

Also, are the springs the only difference between the 2.5 and 3.5? If I wanted to upgrade later, my current understanding is I'd re-set lengths on most parts and order new sway bar links and springs. I'm still on the fence between the 2 kits, but 39" tires look awfully expensive. Future flexibility would be great.

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
It's been a while since I wrenched on my own vehicle. Most complicated I ever got to when younger was changing brakes, replacing a torn parking brake bracket, and un-hydro-locking my 4.0 I6 from my XJ by removing the intake manifold. If I understand how to measure things, will the overland 2.5" present me any issues? I'd prefer to spend labor money on re-gearing rather than installing the lift. I'm ok making a mistake, researching, and correcting. I just don't want to be unsafe with my JLUR if there are common pitfalls someone following directions with limited experience will make.

Also, are the springs the only difference between the 2.5 and 3.5? If I wanted to upgrade later, my current understanding is I'd re-set lengths on most parts and order new sway bar links and springs. I'm still on the fence between the 2 kits, but 39" tires look awfully expensive. Future flexibility would be great.
Yes, the only difference is spring height., everything else is adjustable. You can install a Clayton kit in your driveway. Make sure to buy a torque wrench and follow all the torque specs and you will be good to go. Take a look at the Clayton instructions ahead of time and you will be fine.

20190428_103136.jpg

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Yes, the only difference is spring height., everything else is adjustable. You can install a Clayton kit in your driveway. Make sure to buy a torque wrench and follow all the torque specs and you will be good to go. Take a look at the Clayton instructions ahead of time and you will be fine.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits 20190428_103136
Thanks for the reassurance. I have a torque wrench, so I'm feeling confident. Now I need to decide the order of things. I'm not sure how a 2.5"+ lifted rubicon is going to look on stock tires. Maybe I'll pay for a re-gearing first, then buy the lift, and install it when I can buy the tire/wheels.

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reassurance. I have a torque wrench, so I'm feeling confident. Now I need to decide the order of things. I'm not sure how a 2.5"+ lifted rubicon is going to look on stock tires. Maybe I'll pay for a re-gearing first, then buy the lift, and install it when I can buy the tire/wheels.
I think you will find the gearing to be fine. I went with the 2.5 with 38s for the woods and 37s on the street. Should I regear...yes but it's not absolutely necessary. I vote lift and tires first, then determine your gearing needs.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
I think you will find the gearing to be fine. I went with the 2.5 with 38s for the woods and 37s on the street. Should I regear...yes but it's not absolutely necessary. I vote lift and tires first, then determine your gearing needs.
I have the 6-spd M/T, and I’m worried 37’s will turn it into a 4 speed. I already have to speed on the interstate to get into 6th and my commute only touches 5th for one stretch of highway. I’m pretty dead set on gearing.

Sponsored

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok
I have the 6-spd M/T, and I’m worried 37’s will turn it into a 4 speed. I already have to speed on the interstate to get into 6th and my commute only touches 5th for one stretch of highway. I’m pretty dead set on gearing.
That changes things for sure. This is my first Jeep with an Auto and the stick limits options for sure with stock gearing in the JL.

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Waiting for my 21 to arrive it’s a 6mt as well. Still between the 2.5 and 3.5. Definitely doing 37s and 5.38s.

6th was useless on my old JL with factory tires.

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for my 21 to arrive it’s a 6mt as well. Still between the 2.5 and 3.5. Definitely doing 37s and 5.38s.

6th was useless on my old JL with factory tires.
I went with the Clayton 2.5 springs to start, going to 3.5 springs two years later with a front driveshaft. Probably should have done 3.5 from the start but didn't want to buy a front driveshaft. Just my two cents.

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just pulled the trigger on this lift a few days ago! Cant wait to get it all installed and see how it looks!!
Great choice!
Sponsored