Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Interesting. I didn't have this option when I discussed my build with the sales department. I was told how heavy the springs were and that it shouldn't be a problem. I've considered a spacer lift in the rear to straighten out my rake a bit since the rear springs dont seem quite heavy enough.
We do use a higher spring rate than most other manufacturers, which is why our springs and lifts are very popular when it comes to heavy/overland builds. The JL springs can handle about 400sh lbs of additional weight before sitting below level, using the 3.5" springs in the rear with the 2.5" up front can increase this up to about 600 lbs.

However, going by your picture it really doesn't look like you are having an issue with sag, your Jeep is sitting really nicely and it looks like the springs are handling the load just fine. If it's just the tire rubbing on the factory plastic liner, it's possible you need a little more backspacing, or, you can even remove portions of the liner, which is what we do here on our trucks. I'll attach a photo below of our JL with the rear portion of the rear liner removed so you can see what I'm referring to.

Hopefully this helps, feel free to give us a call if you continue to have issues or want to look into the taller rear springs!

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits IMG_8020 copy
Sponsored

Lndshk

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURXR Hydro Blue, 2023 JLURXR Sarge Green
Best pic I have at the moment. Took about 15hrs to install. Probably 2 of those fighting with the ebrake 🤣. And another 2 setting the rear coil spring perch frame side which was a huge pain. But very happy with the handling post installation. Rides well and get to test off-road in about a week with trip to Hidden Falls off-road park outside Marble Falls Texas.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits E1B7D3A5-7294-45E8-B81F-B629A51AD305

JMP

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI, Tiguan, Buying a JL
Got mine installed. I was going to do it myself, but would up drinking some beers while pros did it.

I’m very happy with stance and ride. There was a twang before when hitting bumps, like the structure was weak. That’s gone now.

I installed Accutune Fox 2.5 res shocks on the front. IFP smooth bodies on the rear (2.5 are on back order). Holy crap the difference. My son commented he can only feel the bumps coming from the back.

Very happy!

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7
Very interested in your 1.5" lift for my JLU Rubicon 4XE as I don't want anything higher than 2" net lift. I've got a midwidth LOD front bumper with winch (guessing this combo weighs about 160-180# combined) that sagged my stock springs by 3/4". In the rear I'll be running a tailgate reinforcement along with the larger/heavier spare. So probably around 160# total weight on back or about 90ish# heavier than the stock spare and tire carrier. I typically run around with probably another 60-80# in the rear for tools/recovery gear, etc.
So guessing your 1.5" lift should be right at about 1.5" front and maybe 1.75" rear when empty.
Question I have is on the rear springs. Your website states the rear springs are different heights. Passenger side is 3/4" taller than driver. I get this is needed for gas jeeps as their stock springs are different but the 4xe has identical springs in the rear as the weight is more balanced than gassers.
How do you address this with your springs for the 4xe? If someone is ordering specifically for 4xe do you supply the same rear spring for both sides? If so - do you go taller or shorter? Or can this be custom for either based on user's application? Thanks

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Very interested in your 1.5" lift for my JLU Rubicon 4XE as I don't want anything higher than 2" net lift. I've got a midwidth LOD front bumper with winch (guessing this combo weighs about 160-180# combined) that sagged my stock springs by 3/4". In the rear I'll be running a tailgate reinforcement along with the larger/heavier spare. So probably around 160# total weight on back or about 90ish# heavier than the stock spare and tire carrier. I typically run around with probably another 60-80# in the rear for tools/recovery gear, etc.
So guessing your 1.5" lift should be right at about 1.5" front and maybe 1.75" rear when empty.
Question I have is on the rear springs. Your website states the rear springs are different heights. Passenger side is 3/4" taller than driver. I get this is needed for gas jeeps as their stock springs are different but the 4xe has identical springs in the rear as the weight is more balanced than gassers.
How do you address this with your springs for the 4xe? If someone is ordering specifically for 4xe do you supply the same rear spring for both sides? If so - do you go taller or shorter? Or can this be custom for either based on user's application? Thanks
Hey Brian, all of our kits are designed already taking into account steel bumpers and a winch, so you won't lose any height from these, and the rear coils are very capable of handling a few hundred lbs before starting to sit below level!

We haven't made any changes to the kits for the 4xe models as in our testing with our own 4xe model the rear end still sat nice and even with the side-specific springs!

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
@Clayton Off Road I sent an email to marketing for a discount code. Eventually you will get pics of a JLUR snazzberry with your lift installed.

7.62x392

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 392 XR
Build Thread
Link
Last edited:

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7

Lndshk

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Lndshk

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally got to put the Overland+ 2.5" through some motions. Pretty happy with the results. Have the XR package so opted to skip the Clayton supplied bump stops based on others indicating the factory (XR) bump stops were sufficient for the job. Have about 3" clearance between tires (35") and fender flares. No rub.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits A4999421-AEF8-4337-8DC3-55FA2FAB5B55

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits 875B3BB0-01F8-4050-AF71-FF9609F1DA07

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits 9D3DBABC-0C17-4690-875C-EFFDC6E391C9

Sponsored

LiVinIt

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport S
I’m getting ready to install the Overland plus 1.5 on a Sport.
I’m adding D44 lockers, AEV Salta wheels with +25 offset and Rubicon fenders.

My dilemma is tire size. I’m leaning towards 285/75R17(34’s) to keep clearance in check but would also consider 315/70R17. My gearing is 4:10

Your website states that this lift allows 35’s on a Rubicon (which mine will be as far as dimensions), but won’t it basically be the same lift as stock Rubicon springs?

Last edited:

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Hey Brian, all of our kits are designed already taking into account steel bumpers and a winch, so you won't lose any height from these, and the rear coils are very capable of handling a few hundred lbs before starting to sit below level!

We haven't made any changes to the kits for the 4xe models as in our testing with our own 4xe model the rear end still sat nice and even with the side-specific springs!
I installed the Overland+ a little over a year ago and I absolutely love it. But... I did install a steel bumper and winch over the summer and had some front-end sagging. When I measured, the front was sitting about 3/4 of an inch lower than the rear, so I just threw on some 3/4" front spacers and I am back to normal. I don't think that it is really the front springs sagging, but more of not having enough weight on the rear (2-door, no rear seat, stock plastic bumper, ....) to level it out.

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7

My dilemma is tire size. I’m leaning towards 285/75R17 to keep clearance in check but would also consider 315/70R17. My gearing is 4:10

Your website states that this lift allows 35’s on a Rubicon (which mine will be as far as dimensions), but won’t it basically be the same lift as stock Rubicon springs?
My understanding is that their advertised spring height is based on Rubicon 4xe with steel bumpers, winch, and heavy spare tire already accounted for. So non 4xe would gain 1/2” or so. Plus you’d gain the difference of stock Rubicon springs as well. So on a sport I’d guess (definitely guessing here) you’re going to gain more like 3” of lift. Rubicons have the advantage of the higher fenders so with a sport you may still hit your fenders with 3” lift and 35s (315/70/17s). Changing to high line fenders or adding bumpstops should allow you to run 35s. When I had my Sport I ran Rubicon takeoff springs which gave me about 1.25” lift and I ran Rubicon takeoff 285s and had no rubbing. With the additional lift of the Clayton springs I think you’ll definitely be able to go taller than 285/70/17s.

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

My dilemma is tire size. I’m leaning towards 285/75R17(34’s) to keep clearance in check but would also consider 315/70R17. My gearing is 4:10

Hey Larry! The 1.5" kit is designed to run 33's on a Sport perfectly or 35's on a Rubicon model. This is when taking into consideration fender clearance when flexing out the Jeep, if it's mainly an on-road vehicle, 35's will fit on a Sport with the 1.5" lift with no problem :like:

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR