Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Looking to upgrade from the Mopar lift on a JLRUD. I have Steersmarts trackbar, drag link and tie rod as well as their rear trackbar. I also have Falcon 3.3 shocks installed (2 – 4.5) version as well as the Falcon 2.2 stabilizer. I am running the Mopar bead lock capable wheels with BFG K02 “C” rated 37’s. I do have OEM steel bumpers and a winch installed as well American Adventure Labs items with a fridge in the back. Rhino rack platform on top. I do sag quite a bit when going out loaded for camping or hooking up a motorcycle trailer. Looking to finish up my suspension with the Clayton Offroad+ 2.5 inch components. I have a couple of questions.

Ideas on how much height this will add over the Mopar lift? I can fit in my garage now with about an inch or so to spare.

Will the Mopar bead lock capable wheels rub?

I do like the ride of the Falcon shocks in the 2.4 setting, will the Clayton lift destroy the ride quality due to the shocks I am running?

Will I need longer bump stops due to the 2-4.5 inch lift Falcons? I currently am looking to use the Clayton bumps stops listed in the 2.5 kit.

Any help would be realty appreciated!
Hey David!

If the Mopar kit tends to sit around a true 2" of height which we've never tested, our 2.5" springs actually sit closer to 3" of lift, so I would expect to gain about an inch of height possibly. The way our kits are designed, a 2.5" lift on a Rubicon can run up to 37" tires, full flex with no rubbing, and the 3.5" up to 39s, full flex no rubbing.

I believe the Mopar bead lock wheels have a backspacing of around 4.5", and so this would work perfectly as our recommendation is usually 4.75".

Falcon shocks are very popular with our kits! We always recommend running the SP2 setting which is the adjustable piston setting at the softest setting on all four shocks, as this feels best when paired with our systems and we always get great feedback on the combination. This is the same setup we have on our JT currently.

The bump stops in that kit will accommodate your shocks with no issues :like:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
first post, long time lurker.

If i were to install long travel shocks with the Overland+ 2.5 kit, would the front springs pop out at max articulation ?
The front springs would not! The rear springs are usually where you can see springs unseat, but on the JL it isn't really a problem as much as on the JT Gladiator. If you did find that you had an issue which I would not expect you to as we also run long travel shocks, you can always throw in a set of limiting straps!

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits Valentines 2024

Happy Valentine's Day!
2764_200d_1f525.png

Celebrate that extra special Jeep in your life with 5% Off and Free Shipping on all Lift Kit and Performance Packages from now until Friday!

Just use code "Valentine" at checkout!

Opossum

First Name
Beth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Here is mine with the 2.5 overland lift, I also have the RR Arcus front bumper with X20 10 winch and lights up front, No spacers in mine. 37 " Nitto and wheels come around the 7th. Current tires are only 33.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits 2764_200d_1f525
how much lift overall did you gain? I'm debating between the 2.5 and the 3.5. I have to run 33s until the tires need to be replaced. Thank you!

tomk62

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sahara Anvil, 2019 Cherokee
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

how much lift overall did you gain? I'm debating between the 2.5 and the 3.5. I have to run 33s until the tires need to be replaced. Thank you!
On my 2024 Sahara with the 2.5" Overland+ and Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 35" tires there is 7" from the top of the front driver side tire tread to the bottom edge of the fender.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits IMG_0308

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits IMG_0273

Sponsored

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
I got about 3" of lift. Knowing what i know now and running the Rubicon i would go for the 3.5 lift. Did not have any troubles and made it over all things without any help but did have a little skid plate rubbing. Jeep looks a little different with my 37 on it .

Opossum

First Name
Beth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I got about 3" of lift. Knowing what i know now and running the Rubicon i would go for the 3.5 lift. Did not have any troubles and made it over all things without any help but did have a little skid plate rubbing. Jeep looks a little different with my 37 on it .
Thank you so much for the quick reply. Not bad that you ended up with 3" of lift. With mine being non-Rubi, I'm concerned that I won't get the extra and end up with 2.5", so I guess I'll go for it and if it ends up looking like it skipped leg day, so be it!

Opossum

First Name
Beth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
On my 2024 Sahara with the 2.5" Overland+ and Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 35" tires there is 7" from the top of the front driver side tire tread to the bottom edge of the fender.

That looks awesome and nicely proportioned.

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you so much for the quick reply. Not bad that you ended up with 3" of lift. With mine being non-Rubi, I'm concerned that I won't get the extra and end up with 2.5", so I guess I'll go for it and if it ends up looking like it skipped leg day, so be it!
Mine was not a Rubi either .

tomk62

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

That looks awesome and nicely proportioned.
Thank you. How big of a tire will you go? If not more than 35" I would recommend the 2.5" lift as the 3.5" with 35s would be too much. 3.5" would be more appropriate for 37s.

If you're not going past 33", stick with a 1.5" lift.

Sponsored

Opossum

First Name
Beth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I can tell you with more than enough confidence, you don't need a new driveshaft with their 2.5" kit. I've had mine installed for the past 12K miles, wheeled in 5 states, pushing it hard and I've yet to have any issues with the driveshaft. Even the boot looks new except for the dirt on it.

I gained 3.5" out of my 2.5" kit on my Sport S with plastic bumpers. Since adding my spare tire carrier, 35" spare, and rock sliders, it's settling in and it'll continue to do so as I add aftermarket bumpers.

If you're worried about a 2.5" kit being too tall for 35's, I'd suggest rethinking the type of kit you go with. A majority of your overland kits are designed to carry the extra weight of overlanding equipment and will sit higher if you're not loaded down, something to keep in mind.

This is exactly what I'm looking for! I am debating between the 2.5 and the 3.5 and I'm on 33s now and don't want to go over 35s. Thank you for posting this. I don't want to run 33s on the 3.5 and end up with 4"+ and look like a roller skate!

Opossum

First Name
Beth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Thank you. How big of a tire will you go? If not more than 35" I would recommend the 2.5" lift as the 3.5" with 35s would be too much. 3.5" would be more appropriate for 37s.

If you're not going past 33", stick with a 1.5" lift.
Thanks! I don't plan on going over 35s. Regearing will get me at that point anyway.

tomk62

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

This is exactly what I'm looking for! I am debating between the 2.5 and the 3.5 and I'm on 33s now and don't want to go over 35s. Thank you for posting this. I don't want to run 33s on the 3.5 and end up with 4"+ and look like a roller skate!
The 2.5" is the correct answer to pair with 35s. Even Clayton says so!

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-wrangler-25-overland-lift-kit-2018-jl-jl-4xe

This kit will allow for 37" tires on a Rubicon (WHITE JL SHOWN WITH 37" TIRES - SEE PICTURE GALLERY) and 35" tires on a Sport or Sahara model. (GRAY SPORT SHOWN WITH 35" TIRES - SEE PICTURE GALLERY). Both options require proper backspacing to clear.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Thanks! I don't plan on going over 35s. Regearing will get me at that point anyway.
It sounds like 2.5” is what you’re after. If you have questions I highly recommend calling @Clayton Off Road They are extremely helpful and will steer you in the right direction.

1CJ1ZJ2JK1JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR392
Very happy with the lift. Paired it with Falcon 3.3's and it is firm but not harsh. 3.5" Overland+ with 38' Ridge Grapplers.

I may have to ask @Clayton Off Road for some replacement decals. I've got a little rub on the lower control arms at full-lock.

How it started:

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits 35

How it's going:

Jeep Wrangler JL Clayton Off Road: JL Overland Plus Lift Kits 38
Sponsored

Last edited: