robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
The JLU Sahara has a curb weight of 4300 lbs. Its common practice to use the hitch as a recovery point, meaning that you hook a tow strap to it and pull the JLU with another vehicle out of a ditch or what have you. That's proof right there that the hitch can handle a load of at least 4300 lbs. Its much stronger than you might realize.
Great logic! Just what I needed. I'm so " wrapped around the axle" at this point from worry and racking my brain over this that I can't even think anymore! I feel complete confidence in the factory hitch now. Thanks so much for your input!!
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
The JLU Sahara has a curb weight of 4300 lbs. Its common practice to use the hitch as a recovery point, meaning that you hook a tow strap to it and pull the JLU with another vehicle out of a ditch or what have you. That's proof right there that the hitch can handle a load of at least 4300 lbs. Its much stronger than you might realize.
I'd be careful here. That the JL's components register a gross mass of "X" does not necessarily mean that it can or does pull "X" in weight, anymore than a JL, anything but hanging off the end of another, and the towed JL itself hanging off the side of a tall building generates 4300 of pull weight.

Robyn: you are absolutely fine if the weight of your trailer and everything in it sans people (who should only be in it when it's motionless) registers no more than 3500 pounds.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Great logic! Just what I needed. I'm so " wrapped around the axle" at this point from worry and racking my brain over this that I can't even think anymore! I feel complete confidence in the factory hitch now. Thanks so much for your input!!
Absolutely, we've all got our vices and uncertainties. Its just great to know we have this site, and its wealth of knowledge to turn to for affirmation. Best of luck with your rig :like:

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I'm going to be at a max of maybe 3300 fully loaded, but I'm right at 350 if not a little over on tongue weight. Im definitely going with the best weight distro hitch i can afford but I know that doesn't increase your max tow weight of the vehicle but its certainly an added safety feature. I plan/hope to tow an Airstream Bambi 16ft camper or a T@B 400. Dry weight 2860 on the Bambi, 2690 on the 400. I travel alone and very light.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'd be careful here. That the JL's components register a gross mass of "X" does not necessarily mean that it can or does pull "X" in weight, anymore than a JL, anything but hanging off the end of another, and the towed JL itself hanging off the side of a tall building generates 4300 of pull weight.

Robyn: you are absolutely fine if the weight of your trailer and everything in it sans people (who should only be in it when it's motionless) registers no more than 3500 pounds.
I wish to qualify myself. Pulling out of a ditch isn't the same as pulling down the highway, if not for pull strength then stopping distance.

Do any of the T@B's have a bathroom...is that of concern to you...have you looked at the Rpods?

Rpods are manufactured by Forest River: a Berkshire Hathaway company if I'm not mistaken: i.e. Warren Buffet.

Sponsored

GunnersJL

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubi, 2015 JGC Diesel Overand
If you are buying new, see the numbers below. If you are buying pre-owned the numbers may vary.

From the T@B website, the T@B 400:
  • Tongue Weight (Dry): 390 Lbs.
  • Tongue Weight (Wet): 400 Lbs.
  • Tongue Weight (Fully Loaded): 460 Lbs.
The Airstream Sport 16 (couldn't find Bambi numbers, the weight on the Sport is the same you quoted, so I'm guessing same camper)
  • Hitch Weight (w/LP & w/o options, water & cargo) (lbs.) 350
In the case of the T@B, you will be loading the trailer to "reduce" tongue weight. This actually is not uncommon with campers. Loading for proper weight distribution is always necessary. With the Airstream you will be loading to maintain tongue weight. I refer you again to the Sherline scale to help you accomplish this.

A comment was made that a Weight Distribution Hitch is not needed. I disagree. Strictly for weight distribution at 350 lbs there is some logic to this. But most also control sway. If you are at all light on tongue weight, at some point sway may try to send you into a ditch. A good WDH will protect you from this. Good to see that you are planning to use one.

Last edited:

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
For sure you want a WDH. Unless you have a good reason for another brand, I'd go with Blue Ox. Less noise and built in sway control. Be careful not to lighten your hitch weight to the point it is less than 10% or you may experience death wobble to a new level. You absolutely need brakes on the trailer and a good controller (prodigy). Keep your speed down to around 60 MPH and relax. You'll be fine.

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Thanks guys. Great advice. Fir sure on the weight distro hitch, more than likely it will be a blue ox. The trailer dies have electric brakes, etc.

Gemball2018

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Not to hi jack but I have a question about the 2 door and towing. It has the same engine and tranny, same hitch and the vehicle is only 21 inches shorter than the 4 door. Why would the rating be so much lower at 2000lbs. Is the tongue weight really only 200 vs 350, i mean its connected the same way?

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
It's all about the short wheel base on the 2 door. You would not be able to stop or steer in an unexpected situation, or even some normal driving scenarios.

Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Put this together.

20210220_055558.jpg

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I see and appreciate what you're trying to do. I personally am unable to really see if there are any real differences between the two regional versions. There appears to be an extra bolt or two on the bottom of the Aus version?
Actually the more I've looked at it...

The Aussie one looks like thicker steel and is bolted in differently.

I've dince been trying to figure out how to order an Aussie reciever, at least to compare the US to the Aus.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Actually the more I've looked at it...

The Aussie one looks like thicker steel and is bolted in differently.

I've dince been trying to figure out how to order an Aussie reciever, at least to compare the US to the Aus.
I think the US and AUS receivers are the same. The bolts that you've pointed out on the AUS version actually hold the skid plate for part of the diesel system. Notice how there isn't a muffler in the AUS version pictures.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the US and AUS receivers are the same. The bolts that you've pointed out on the AUS version actually hold the skid plate for part of the diesel system. Notice how there isn't a muffler in the AUS version pictures.
I hope so... lol

20210302_223329.jpg
Sponsored