Class II Hitch Looks Like a Class III to Me

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I'm happy to have found a site dedicated to the new JL. I just bought my JLU Sahara in November.

So, I have the factory tow package and I plan to tow a Tear Drop Camper in the Spring. I know the JLU is rated for up to 3500 tow weight and 350 tongue weight. Here is my dilemma, the window sticker says a Class II hitch. The Mopar parts website says Class II hitch, but the hitch on my Jeep LOOKS like a Class III hitch. Class II hitches normally have just a 1 1/4" receiver opening and a Class III hitch has a 2" opening. Mine has a 2" opening! I've called around, and even still waiting for a return email from Chrysler/Jeep. I know the Jeep is rated at Class II towing capability, but is this or is this not a Class III hitch? If you look on all the aftermarket sites show exactly the same hitch, 2" opening, but listed as a Class III hitch. The trailer weights are on the higher end of the max towing of the Jeep, and I plan to use a weight distribution hitch system, but I want to make sure I have a class III hitch. Easy enough to just switch out for a FOR SURE Class III hitch, but if I don't have too, obviously I don't want to do it. I know a Class II hitch is rated for up to 3500/350, but I'm just not comfortable walking that thin of line if my tongue weight gets a bit close to the 350.

Thanks,
Robyn
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Yea, that sounds right. I wish they had stamped the hitch with weight info. Seems like that would be mandatory.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I'm happy to have found a site dedicated to the new JL. I just bought my JLU Sahara in November.

So, I have the factory tow package and I plan to tow a Tear Drop Camper in the Spring. I know the JLU is rated for up to 3500 tow weight and 350 tongue weight. Here is my dilemma, the window sticker says a Class II hitch. The Mopar parts website says Class II hitch, but the hitch on my Jeep LOOKS like a Class III hitch. Class II hitches normally have just a 1 1/4" receiver opening and a Class III hitch has a 2" opening. Mine has a 2" opening! I've called around, and even still waiting for a return email from Chrysler/Jeep. I know the Jeep is rated at Class II towing capability, but is this or is this not a Class III hitch? If you look on all the aftermarket sites show exactly the same hitch, 2" opening, but listed as a Class III hitch. The trailer weights are on the higher end of the max towing of the Jeep, and I plan to use a weight distribution hitch system, but I want to make sure I have a class III hitch. Easy enough to just switch out for a FOR SURE Class III hitch, but if I don't have too, obviously I don't want to do it. I know a Class II hitch is rated for up to 3500/350, but I'm just not comfortable walking that thin of line if my tongue weight gets a bit close to the 350.

Thanks,
Robyn
It is class 2 and you can’t change the tow class of a vehicle.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen this trend especially on light-duty SUVs that can barely tow 2000 lbs, they just want to slap that "enormous" 2" opening because bigger is better apparently.

Sponsored

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I know I can't change the tow class of the vehicle. I guess I'm having a bit of a hard time conveying my question. Are they just calling a Class III hitch a Class II just because Class II is the max rating for the vehicle and they are afraid people will try to tow too much weight? I guess only Jeep could answer that. I guess I better just switch it out for a Class III. I would just rather have a beefier hitch since I'm going to be close to the max tow weight. I won't be exceeding the max tow of 3500/350 but I just like to have a stronger rated hitch just for an extra measure of safety/assurance. I just can't find anything anywhere that says any Class II hitch comes with a 2" opening, so that's why I suspect this is a class III hitch.

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
or most bike racks and other hitch receiver accessories are 2". There is a lot that goes into rating and FCA is playing it safe. Some numnuts would try and tow a huge toy hauler if the hitch said it could even though the actual jeep itself was rated much less

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
My take is a little different...since the hitch clearly is capable, I would trust it up to capacity without thinking twice.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I know I can't change the tow class of the vehicle. I guess I'm having a bit of a hard time conveying my question. Are they just calling a Class III hitch a Class II just because Class II is the max rating for the vehicle and they are afraid people will try to tow too much weight? I guess only Jeep could answer that. I guess I better just switch it out for a Class III. I would just rather have a beefier hitch since I'm going to be close to the max tow weight. I won't be exceeding the max tow of 3500/350 but I just like to have a stronger rated hitch just for an extra measure of safety/assurance. I just can't find anything anywhere that says any Class II hitch comes with a 2" opening, so that's why I suspect this is a class III hitch.
It's a class 2. They aren't going to spend more money than they have to. Regardless, there's no reason to upgrade it. It's not like a class 2 rated hitch suddenly breaks when you hit 3501 lbs. They have a wide safety margin builit in. Just don't exceed 3500/350 fully outfitted with water/gear and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Good point Brocoli2. This is what I have been thinking as well, but couldn't get it conveyed clearly. I think its a Class III disguised as a Class II in order to not encourage misuse. Yea, if they advertised a Class III then I can see where some might run with the hitch rating and not pay attention to the vehicle rating.

The only thing that is clear on the hitch is that is has a 2" receiver. I'm concerned that if it really is just a Class II that possibly the manufacture/steel grade isn't that of a Class III or is it more lighter weight built. I think I will just replace it with a KNOWN Class III just for peace of mind. I might need to think twice if my camper passes me on the highway one day because the hitch failed! hahaha: :-(

It a small expense for peace of mind. I will just buy a Class III and take it with me to the RV dealer when I go to get the camper and just get them to switch it out for me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
But no where on the entire internet universe can I find a Class II hitch with a 2" opening. All Class II hitches I find have only a 1 1/4" opening.

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I think I will take the Jeep to a local hitch installer called "The Hitch Man" I can just get them to switch it out while I'm there too if we decide that is best. Yes, I like the Curt hitch. That is what I was thinking about switching it out with, but like you said, who knows if its any better than the Mopar one.

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
Robyn, Before you go out and buy the trailer I would talk the dealer into letting you tow it around and hopefully you have some inclines near you. Just make sure your JL can handle it

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
But no where on the entire internet universe can I find a Class II hitch with a 2" opening. All Class II hitches I find have only a 1 1/4" opening.
That’s because a 1-1/4” hitch on a Wrangler is emasculating. Those belong on minivans.
Sponsored