Sponsored

Class action law suit, regarding Pentastar 3.6 engine defective valve train roller bearing failures.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Many people confuse injectors ticking with train components ticking, especially when they stick their ear close to a valve cover. It is best to check with a trained ear and a mechanic's stethoscope. A person who knows what to listen for can be a valuable asset. When you consider how many 3.6L engines were made and are still in use I think the % of problem engines is relatively small. I'm not saying problems don't exist, but when well over 10,000,000 were produced there are going to be problems. My 2 cents.
I agree with this assessment. I am curious to hear the sound anyway.

Anyone want me to post a video of my engine and folks can chime in what they think (normal or ticking)?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Old Dogger

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I agree with this assessment. I am curious to hear the sound anyway.

Anyone want me to post a video of my engine and folks can chime in what they think (normal or ticking)?

^^^ THIS WILL GIVE YOU A SHORT DURATION OF THE TICK.

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The new 3.6 'PUG' has variable lift and a very different type of follower. Effectively it is a very different design that eliminates the roller for a ramp. It's been around since 2016 on GC 's and Durango's.

Old follower.

Jeep Wrangler JL Class action law suit, regarding Pentastar 3.6 engine defective valve train roller bearing failures. olf follower.JPG

New variable lift follower.

Jeep Wrangler JL Class action law suit, regarding Pentastar 3.6 engine defective valve train roller bearing failures. new follower.JPG

OP
OP
Old Dogger

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
The new 3.6 'PUG' has variable lift and a very different type of follower. Effectively it is a very different design that eliminates the roller for a ramp. It's been around since 2016 on GC 's and Durango's.

Old follower.

Jeep Wrangler JL Class action law suit, regarding Pentastar 3.6 engine defective valve train roller bearing failures. new follower.JPG

Great INFO.. Thank you Sir.. 👍

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Many people confuse injectors ticking with train components ticking, especially when they stick their ear close to a valve cover. It is best to check with a trained ear and a mechanic's stethoscope. A person who knows what to listen for can be a valuable asset. When you consider how many 3.6L engines were made and are still in use I think the % of problem engines is relatively small. I'm not saying problems don't exist, but when well over 10,000,000 were produced there are going to be problems. My 2 cents.
The rocker ticking is pretty obvious. I've never heard a non DI injector make a sound like what these motors to. I can tell just when someone pulls into the lot. I do not believe it's a major problem as that motor is used in so many Chrysler products (honestly the ones in the minivans get treated like dirt) and there are not many that have that problem. It is annoying though and can get worse over time.

Sponsored

demarpaint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Rubicon 2008 Liberty 88 E-150
The rocker ticking is pretty obvious. I've never heard a non DI injector make a sound like what these motors to. I can tell just when someone pulls into the lot. I do not believe it's a major problem as that motor is used in so many Chrysler products (honestly the ones in the minivans get treated like dirt) and there are not many that have that problem. It is annoying though and can get worse over time.
I agree 100%, however I am not listening to the engine. Many people read threads like these and drive themselves nuts listening to sounds and mistake injector ticks for valve train issues. There is a difference, a big one in fact, and some valve trains tick worse than others. Explaining that to someone who knows nothing about engines but is looking for problems they read about on the internet can drive a good tech nuts.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator

^^^ THIS WILL GIVE YOU A SHORT DURATION OF THE TICK.
That is pretty loud.

I always heard this noise but assumed it was normal

When I thought my brake booster was unsusually loud I compared a couple jeeps on the lot, tbey all sounded like mine

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
That is pretty loud.

I always heard this noise but assumed it was normal

When I thought my brake booster was unsusually loud I compared a couple jeeps on the lot, tbey all sounded like mine
That's what mine sounds like and every other 3.6 Wrangler I've listened to in person.

I have a friend who had the rocker issue in his Pacifica (or maybe Town & Country), there was no mistaking that something was wrong with that engine. It sounded very obviously bad.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others

Old follower.

What year did they start with the VVT and new lifter? 2018, correct?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Old Dogger

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
What year did they start with the VVT and new lifter? 2018, correct?
The original 3.6 VVT, started back in 2011. It was used in some of the other model Jeeps. 2012 in the Wranglers, all the way through 2018 JK's. But the First year of the JL's came with the updated PUG 3.6 VVT, also in the 2018 Wranglers. But the new PUG was also introduced and used in the 2016 GC. So the new Cam follower, has been in production for several years..to the best of my knowledge.
It appears that the GC receives the updated power train components, before the Wrangler gets them. Another example of this is the 8 speed automatic trans.

MrGoodByte

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURXR, '11 Challenger SE
Build Thread
Link
I have a 2011 Dodge Challenger with the V6. It has 242K miles and didn’t develop a tap until 10K miles or so ago. As soon as my Rubicon comes in, I’m going to start planning out the rebuild. It’s been a great car. I’m not sure if there‘s a difference between the newer and older models.

Raven99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Clubs

Welp, I was debating whether or not to get the Mopar Extended service plan before the factory warranty runs out in August ... I guess this makes my decision easier. FWIW I haven't really noticed any unusual ticking coming from my Jeep .. but then again, I haven't really been listening either and have rarely even had the hood open with the engine running ..

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The original 3.6 VVT, started back in 2011. It was used in some of the other model Jeeps. 2012 in the Wranglers, all the way through 2018 JK's. But the First year of the JL's came with the updated PUG 3.6 VVT, also in the 2018 Wranglers. But the new PUG was also introduced and used in the 2016 GC. So the new Cam follower, has been in production for several years..to the best of my knowledge.
It appears that the GC receives the updated power train components, before the Wrangler gets them. Another example of this is the 8 speed automatic trans.
Good info, Thanks for refreshing my memory as I looked into this before we bought the 2018 but was't 100% sure after starting to read this thread.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welp, I was debating whether or not to get the Mopar Extended service plan before the factory warranty runs out in August ... I guess this makes my decision easier. FWIW I haven't really noticed any unusual ticking coming from my Jeep .. but then again, I haven't really been listening either and have rarely even had the hood open with the engine running ..
The only thing I notice with ours at 60K miles is it seems noisier at cold start but it never did run like a Swiss watch anyway:)
Sponsored