Sponsored

Class action law suit, regarding Pentastar 3.6 engine defective valve train roller bearing failures.

demarpaint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Rubicon 2008 Liberty 88 E-150
I thought the PUG upgrade took care of the problematic heads, and the valve train issues. I guess it's too early to tell if the 2021/2022 engines are a problem too.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Old Dogger

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
There’s definitely some inconsistency as one of the commentors in the article pointed out. The 2020 Wrangler and the 2020 Gladiator have the exact same engine yet the Gladiator is not involved In the recall.
Yep, and what about the original 3.6 engines, which started in some model Jeeps in 2011. So why not include the 2011, 2012 and 2013 models in this suit?

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
I had a 2016 3.6 unlimited rubicon which I sold this year before purchasing the diesel and I had close to 80K mikes on it, I have to admit the 3.6 never had any issues or gave me any problems, I was extremely impressed with it, just decided to go different direction on the new jeep, plus didn’t care much for that e torque on the V6

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Err GM LS engine is discontinued. Was years ago. New model is the LT series.
The LT is a comparatively minor evolution of the LS compared to the difference between the LS and the Gen I/II small block.

While you're not technically incorrect, the general use of the term "LS" encompasses all Gen III and newer small blocks.

OP
OP
Old Dogger

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
I had a 2016 3.6 unlimited rubicon which I sold this year before purchasing the diesel and I had close to 80K mikes on it, I have to admit the 3.6 never had any issues or gave me any problems, I was extremely impressed with it, just decided to go different direction on the new jeep, plus didn’t care much for that e torque on the V6
We have two 3.6 engines, one in a 2013 JKR and the other PUG in the 2018 JLR. So far, no excessive valve train noise in either engine. I am very happy with both of these engines. Our 2013 is covered with the MOPAR EXTENDED LIFETIME WARRANTY POLICY, which is no longer offered.

Sponsored

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
The LT is a comparatively minor evolution of the LS compared to the difference between the LS and the Gen I/II small block.

While you're not technically incorrect, the general use of the term "LS" encompasses all Gen III and newer small blocks.
FAIL. Its nothing like the same, the only common theme is OHV. Heads and block are different, you might as well say the 5L ford is basically a minor evolution of the LS.

Pray tell me what engine parts are common that make is a "minor" difference!?

4x4snowmachinejeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler 4xe White
Occupation
Travel Industry
I guess that means the 3.0 will be worth a few more dollars on resale ( less opec charges)

thusske

First Name
Tylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport S, 2014 Grand Cherokee
I had all the rockers and one camshaft in my wk2 replaced under warranty a couple years ago (~60k miles). Was road tripping from Seattle to Iowa and the chatter seemed louder and more noticeable at every stop. Got lucky and scheduled the work to be done the day we arrived and the dealer got it done in a couple days. Just happy I have the max care unlimited miles on it if it's going to keep being an issue. Maybe I'll get my $200 deductible back. :)

OP
OP
Old Dogger

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
I had all the rockers and one camshaft in my wk2 replaced under warranty a couple years ago (~60k miles). Was road tripping from Seattle to Iowa and the chatter seemed louder and more noticeable at every stop. Got lucky and scheduled the work to be done the day we arrived and the dealer got it done in a couple days. Just happy I have the max care unlimited miles on it if it's going to keep being an issue. Maybe I'll get my $200 deductible back. :)
As much as I like our Wranglers, I for one, feel a lot better having the Mopar extended policies. If for nothing else, peace of mind.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The article if it means anything does show a picture of the early 3.6 head 2017 prior. Maybe the article may have the years wrong. thought I remember reading some years ago the PUG 3.6 update for 2018 corrected most rocker arm issues. They added a coating and hardened a lot of parts because of the ESS it was a pretty extensive freshen. also the oil pan was changed remember it holds one less quart oil now. That was a big deal then.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Old Dogger

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
The article if it means anything does show a picture of the early 3.6 head 2017 prior. Maybe the article may have the years wrong. thought I remember reading some years ago the PUG 3.6 update for 2018 corrected most rocker arm issues. They added a coating and hardened a lot of parts because of the ESS it was a pretty extensive freshen. also the oil pan was changed remember it holds one less quart oil now. That was a big deal then.
Yep, there have been updated improvements. The Link below explains them:
https://www.allpar.com/threads/psu-formerly-pug-— the-pentastar-v6-engine-upgrade.237300/

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Having a hard time finding a video that includes the sound to see if a vehicle is affected. Anyone have one? I have video/audio of my 2020 engine bay at 35k miles and now at over 55k miles and want to compare. Engine sounds the same to me as it always has and the Jeep has been to the dealership a few times for various things, oil changes, etc. I would have thought the techs (which have always seemed solid at this particular place) would have noted the noise.

demarpaint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having a hard time finding a video that includes the sound to see if a vehicle is affected. Anyone have one? I have video/audio of my 2020 engine bay at 35k miles and now at over 55k miles and want to compare. Engine sounds the same to me as it always has and the Jeep has been to the dealership a few times for various things, oil changes, etc. I would have thought the techs (which have always seemed solid at this particular place) would have noted the noise.
Many people confuse injectors ticking with train components ticking, especially when they stick their ear close to a valve cover. It is best to check with a trained ear and a mechanic's stethoscope. A person who knows what to listen for can be a valuable asset. When you consider how many 3.6L engines were made and are still in use I think the % of problem engines is relatively small. I'm not saying problems don't exist, but when well over 10,000,000 were produced there are going to be problems. My 2 cents.

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
Many people confuse injectors ticking with train components ticking, especially when they stick their ear close to a valve cover. It is best to check with a trained ear and a mechanic's stethoscope. A person who knows what to listen for can be a valuable asset. When you consider how many 3.6L engines were made and are still in use I think the % of problem engines is relatively small. I'm not saying problems don't exist, but when well over 10,000,000 were produced there are going to be problems. My 2 cents.
I was wonder that same thing. Not to minimize people who have had problems but is it 1 in 10 or 1 in 1,000,000.

demarpaint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was wonder that same thing. Not to minimize people who have had problems but is it 1 in 10 or 1 in 1,000,000.
Exactly. Statistically speaking the 3.6L has been a reliable engine, perfect, nothing is perfect. When you get a bad one it sucks. People often join forums to seek answers to problems and then vanish, others join to complain, and vanish. Others have an axe to grind and stir sh*.*t.

Years ago I had a lemon 300-I6, AKA 4.9L Ford engine. The truth is it was probably one of the best 6 cylinder engines ever made. Mine sucked and to me that's all that mattered. I had and still have a Ford powered with that engine, imo it is one of the best 6 cylinder engines ever made. In the case of the 3.6L problems, I think the % of bad engines is small, the the PUG upgrade addressed the problems fairly well.
Sponsored