Sponsored

clamp on gutter roof rack

Blammmo_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr Rubicon
Hi all, does anyone have any experience with the clamp on styles of roof racks for the JL?
Do they work well for skis/snowboards? I’m also looking for images of them which are hard to find especially on the two door.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :like:
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Since introduction of the JL I admit to not having much knowledge of the rain gutter roof rack product offerings for the rig apart from the MOPAR one that was released on launch date.

e.g. https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/removable-roof-rack-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl

This search also led me to one from Rhino-Rack that is advertised as JL Unlimited (4 door) compatible, which appears out of scope for you as a likely 2 door JL owner:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rhino-r...ortex-2-bar-roof-rack-wrangler-jku-jlu-4-door

I own the former and suspect it would be fine from both a strength and weight standpoint to carry your skis/snowboards. I have a 4 door, although I don't see any requirements for this in the link: just a hard top. Do read the link's specs on this product as it regards holding strength.

As I've upgraded my roof carrying since this purchase to a DIY (also no holes based,) I don't see myself using this product much anymore. I needed something that carried a lot more, and a lot more weight, that allowed me to run with a soft top as well--all before vendors introduced their JL offerings.

I guess you don't want to take the effort to make your own but if I'm wrong, say so and I'll provide a link to my work.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Blammmo_

Blammmo_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr Rubicon
Thanks for the links, I was considering Thule and Yakima clamp on racks, and I will always consider making something as well, I’ve contemplated making a hitch rack as well but figure the skis/snowboards would get pretty loaded up with salt/sand while driving at highway speeds.
Still hoping someone chimes in with some images of a set on the 2 door JL

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I made my own using Smittybilt HDS-4 Gutter Clamps (varies in price, about $100 for set of 4), and a set of Thule bars (Set I already had, they run about $100 as well). I drilled holes in the bar to align with the clamp and used hardware from Lowes. I like this because the bar ends don't stick out over the sides like the Mopar and the weight capacity is larger.

IMG_4860.jpg

IMG_4861.jpg

IMG_4848.jpg

Sponsored

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Thanks for the links, I was considering Thule and Yakima clamp on racks, and I will always consider making something as well, I’ve contemplated making a hitch rack as well but figure the skis/snowboards would get pretty loaded up with salt/sand while driving at highway speeds.
Still hoping someone chimes in with some images of a set on the 2 door JL
I did a quick search for a 2-DR, nothing, only JK's! Good luck with your search!