Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
I've been involved with many forums over the years but have never done a build journal before. This is my second Jeep but I grew up with hot rods and work for a major automotive aftermarket manufacturer so I may go in a different order with my mods than most here. But I've got parts showing up so may as well jump in.

About a month or so ago I gave up on my Bronco order. There just was no way that I was going to get it this summer and even within the next year wasn't looking good. A used 2018 JLR turned up that had everything I wanted except for half doors and the tow package. I could have ordered a new Jeep but the price was right on it and I could have it now.

Jeep Wrangler JL CJLR - Retro inspired JLR Build cu-0

3.6L/Auto
Steel Bumper Group
Painted flares and hardtop
LED Package
Alpine w/8.4" UConnect
Heritage Tan leather

The speedometer is off a few mph so my guess is that the previous owner had 35s but otherwise there are zero signs underneath that it was ever taken off-road. Maybe some dirt roads but no scrapes of any kind to be found. From the service records I got it was definitely babied.

Mods planned as of today:

- Half doors - found
- Quadratec Baja Xtreme II wheels - installed 5/18
- 315/70/17 BFG K02s - installed 5/18
- CJ Renegade stripes from @pixeldecals - in progress
- Debadge/remove existing decals and emblems - to do
- Regear - ordered
- 1-1.5" lift - still researching - leaning towards JLUR springs/XR springs, Mopar LCAs, FOX shocks.
- TSB steel steering box upgrade - to do
- Bumper hoop for factory steel bumper - to do
- KC Daylighters - to do
- Step slider - to do - currently leaning ACE since they fit over the Rubi rails
- Bestop TrekTop - unplanned mod bought 5/15 because it was a good deal
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
LOBBS

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
First mod and one of my must haves when I considered buying a Wrangler: factory half doors. I'm just not a fan of how Jeeps look with full doors and the top off or going door less on a regular basis. Finding half doors on a 2 door seemed to border on the impossible. Most sets that did turn up were off a 4 door and most buyers did not want to split them up. So, I could not contain my excitement when a set turned up new in box, already black and at a price that I openly wondered was legit. The issue was that the guy had no interest in shipping them. So, I drove from Kansas City to Oklahoma City and back on a Sunday. 5 and a half hours one way, 13 hours on the road total but for less than $2k I'd do it again without skipping a beat.

Jeep Wrangler JL CJLR - Retro inspired JLR Build PXL_20220501_201546246
Jeep Wrangler JL CJLR - Retro inspired JLR Build PXL_20220502_042234634

Unfortunately, it's rained nearly every day since I got back last weekend so I've not had a good chance to hang them but they were a prerequisite for my CJ stripes

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I've been involved with many forums over the years but have never done a build journal before. This is my second Jeep but I grew up with hot rods and work for a major automotive aftermarket manufacturer so I may go in a different order with my mods than most here. But I've got parts showing up so may as well jump in.

About a month or so ago I gave up on my Bronco order. There just was no way that I was going to get it this summer and even within the next year wasn't looking good. A used 2018 JLR turned up that had everything I wanted except for half doors and the tow package. I could have ordered a new Jeep but the price was right on it and I could have it now.

Jeep Wrangler JL CJLR - Retro inspired JLR Build PXL_20220502_042234634

3.6L/Auto
Steel Bumper Group
Painted flares and hardtop
Heritage Tan leather

The speedometer is off a few mph so my guess is that the previous owner had 35s but otherwise there are zero signs underneath that it was ever taken off-road. Maybe some dirt roads but no scrapes of any kind to be found. From the service records I got it was definitely babied.

Mods planned as of today:

- Half Doors - found
- Quadratec Baja Extreme II wheels - ordered
- 315/70/17 BFG K02s - ordered
- CJ Renegade stripes from @pixeldecals - in progress
- Regear - ordered
- 1-1.5" lift - still researching
- bumper hoop for factory steel bumper - to do
- KC Daylighters - to do
Welcome! And congratulations. It’s a fun vehicle.

I’m nosy. Your Jeep came with 410s, which is a great fit for 315s. What gears are you planning and why?

OP
OP
LOBBS

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
So, here's where things start to take the retro turn. I'm in my early 40's so the Jeeps I grew up ogling were the CJs. I just love this particular style of stripes on the Renegades. I've reached out to Pixel Decals to rework them a bit to fit the proportions of the JL. Hopefully, I'll see them this summer but he did warn me that he has a lot of projects on his plate.

Jeep Wrangler JL CJLR - Retro inspired JLR Build 1984-jeep-cj7-renegad

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
How much were those doors after gas though? Probably $3k :(

j/k sounds like a great project you're planning, looking forward to your journal & journey!

And yeah, CJs are ogle-worthy for sure!

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6

I’m nosy. Your Jeep came with 410s, which is a great fit for 315s. What gears are you planning and why?
On an M6 I could see the upgrade, but the auto would be find.

MilkSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
So, here's where things start to take the retro turn. I'm in my early 40's so the Jeeps I grew up ogling were the CJs. I just love this particular style of stripes on the Renegades. I've reached out to Pixel Decals to rework them a bit to fit the proportions of the JL. Hopefully, I'll see them this summer but he did warn me that he has a lot of projects on his plate.

Jeep Wrangler JL CJLR - Retro inspired JLR Build 1984-jeep-cj7-renegad
I'm pretty sure he does decals for a good segment of Jeep owners. I've been waiting over a month for my order but it's worth it. Pixeldecals does great work. I bet he can come up with something badass for you

OP
OP
LOBBS

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

I currently have 4.56s on order but the shop doing the install is edging me towards 4.88s. The drive to Oklahoma City kinda sealed the deal to re-gear. I'm not planning on going any bigger than 35s but Missouri, Arkansas, southern Kansas and Oklahoma when you're in the Ozarks and Flint Hills is hillier than a lot of people realize. And windy, so so windy. The constant hunting on the factory 285s between 8th, to 7th and some times even 6th driving thru that area drove me nuts. 4.56s would be more than enough to compensate for the 35s and a bit more to help with the hunting. If I were in a 300-400 pound heavier JLUR I'd be going 4.88s without a doubt.

OP
OP
LOBBS

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Now with the retro theme set, I needed wheels to match. I liked the Mickey Thompson Classic IIIs as well as the American Racing Ansen 969s but they were discontinued. Ultimately, I went with the Quadratec soft 8s because the gunmetal picks up on the gray highlights in the grille and headlight surrounds of the Rubicon package. So, a bit of modern color on a classicly styled wheel. Keeping added rotational mass to a minimum with the new wheels and tires was a major priority and the biggest reasons I stuck with the K02s. There are probably some other A/Ts that are better are certain things but for an overall solid tire at a light weight it's really hard to beat the BFGs.

Edit: I got curious when they arrived and threw one on our shipping scale. Dead nuts at 24.00 pounds with the full cap installed. So, just about 2lbs or so heavier than the factory Rubicon wheel. I'll take that.

Jeep Wrangler JL CJLR - Retro inspired JLR Build Quadratec-Baja-Xtreme-Gen-II-17x9-5x5-4

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Cool build! I too am going for a retro vibe with mine. I looked for some mid-late ‘70’s inspired decals but couldn’t find any that I liked so I went with early ‘70’s style stripes. I plan to make bumpers that look like something from that vintage with KC lights.

D7DD9F3B-48BB-4653-ABBE-EB1E7DBBCD19.jpeg

Looking forward to updates!

Gregj

teddrowe

First Name
Tedd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport

Jeep Wrangler JL CJLR - Retro inspired JLR Build D7DD9F3B-48BB-4653-ABBE-EB1E7DBBCD19
I had a CJ7 delivered to me while I was stationed in Germany. It Was Silver with a Black hardtop and Blue Graphics. It was my dream Jeep. I have a 2019 now and love it.

rubiria

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
The black and tan combo is one of my favorites! Reminded me my old E92 Bimmer, but that was a Saddle Brown leather actually.

I was thinking you should get the Tan Softtop to match for the Summer.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Now with the retro theme set, I needed wheels to match. I liked the Mickey Thompson Classic IIIs as well as the American Racing Ansen 969s but they were discontinued. Ultimately, I went with the Quadratec soft 8s because the gunmetal picks up on the gray highlights in the grille and headlight surrounds of the Rubicon package. So, a bit of modern color on a classicly styled wheel. Keeping added rotational mass to a minimum with the new wheels and tires was a major priority and the biggest reasons I stuck with the K02s. There are probably some other A/Ts that are better are certain things but for an overall solid tire at a light weight it's really hard to beat the BFGs.

Jeep Wrangler JL CJLR - Retro inspired JLR Build D7DD9F3B-48BB-4653-ABBE-EB1E7DBBCD19
I have the same thoughts with lightweight wheels and tires. My old YJ was black and tan, great color combo. Can't wait to see where this goes!
Sponsored