Sponsored

City Jeeps

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
So I always noticed Wranglers around NYC, but now that I have one I’m noticing them more and there are plenty in the city.

They actually make great vehicles for city dwellers because:

1) Turn and park tight. At least the 2 door does.

2) Great on city streets that are always under construction or full of pot holes and patches, etc

3) Great weekend escape vehicle because it’s fine on highways and inclement weather isn’t a big concern given it’s capabilities.

4) The low end torque is great for all the start/stop driving that one does in the city. The 3.6L is anyway, I don’t have experience with the other power plants. And the ESS actually works well but I have a habit of keeping the clutch depressed and the shifter in 1st at lights and it doesn’t engage unless in neutral. I imagine it’s great in an auto.

One disclaimer is that I park in a paid parking garage. If I parked regularly on the street I would definitely opt for the hard top.
Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I live in San Antonio I understand. ESS works great in an Auto. And yes Jeeps are awesome in the city.

Dawn Patrol

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I live in San Antonio I understand. ESS works great in an Auto. And yes Jeeps are awesome in the city.
So long as you have a hardtop. I was in NYC two weeks ago and I noticed no soft tops (for obvious reasons).

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
So long as you have a hardtop. I was in NYC two weeks ago and I noticed no soft tops (for obvious reasons).
LOL, I have a hard top but I understand the New York hard top been there.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Having grown up in Queens, NY and worked in NYC, I can tell you that is was always stressful when walking to retrieve your vehicle at the end of day. You are happy to see that it wasn't towed, but then you have to check to make sure none of the windows were broken or your locks punched out. On two separate occasions, I walked to my car with the door ajar and the radio ripped out. Someone told me to not lock your doors to save the glass, but you end up returning to your car rummaged through for coins in the arm rest. You cant have nice things in NYC unless youre affluent enough to have private parking with security. Almost everyone parks by braille. They actually sell things called bumper mats that hang from your trunk. LOL. I am so happy to be in the burbs of upstate NY where you can have nice things without opportunist trying to take what you've worked for. Topless/Doorless with the fob in the center console, 99% of the time your Jeep will still be there untouched!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having grown up in Queens, NY and worked in NYC, I can tell you that is was always stressful when walking to retrieve your vehicle at the end of day. You are happy to see that it wasn't towed, but then you have to check to make sure none of the windows were broken or your locks punched out. On two separate occasions, I walked to my car with the door ajar and the radio ripped out. Someone told me to not lock your doors to save the glass, but you end up returning to your car rummaged through for coins in the arm rest. You cant have nice things in NYC unless youre affluent enough to have private parking with security. Almost everyone parks by braille. They actually sell things called bumper mats that hang from your trunk. LOL. I am so happy to be in the burbs of upstate NY where you can have nice things without opportunist trying to take what you've worked for. Topless/Doorless with the fob in the center console, 99% of the time your Jeep will still be there untouched!
Yeah, when I decided to get a car I knew that a parking garage was going to be part of the equation and so I went in eyes wide open to that requirement and the associated cost. Although expensive, the cost of zip car and rentals was adding up. And also I save a lot of time now not having to time trains/busses in and out of the city, or Ubers for closer trips. Plus I work a 9-5 job so moving a car twice a week to accommodate the alternate side parking rules really isn’t feasible. For me the convenience is worth it, so I’m willing to pay. Plus using a garage lets me keep a soft top...

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Some of the people on here make fun of us that live in cities and drive Jeeps... Like its impossible to leave town and go wheeling... :facepalm:

I live in one of the bigger cities in NC (Obviously nowhere near NYC scale so don't get uppity with me :giggle:) but let me tell you the Jeep is a good city vehicle while still offering the great off road capabilities for weekend trips. I think I have a unique opportunity to have some good off roading in the city limits though.

Obviously not downtown, but this is a short drive from my house. :rock:

img_1452-jpg.jpg

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Having grown up in Queens, NY and worked in NYC, I can tell you that is was always stressful when walking to retrieve your vehicle at the end of day. You are happy to see that it wasn't towed, but then you have to check to make sure none of the windows were broken or your locks punched out. !
LMAO......I grew up in Queens too. I had a Honda and this message gave me a serious flashback. At times I felt I was doing weekly trips to a body shop to get the locks repaired. Honda's were designed so a screw driver poked in the door right above the lock would open the door. It also left a nice whole in the door.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
One disclaimer is that I park in a paid parking garage. If I parked regularly on the street I would definitely opt for the hard top.
And steel bumpers! :)

FishtownPride

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door
We are Philly people and living in the city has a lot of challenges for any vehicle that you own. When I owned a 1998 TJ, someone uses a screwdriver to poke through the plastic windows to get inside. The other option they tried was pulling the half door top back to get in that way. Man, there was a zipper there, if they did their homework, they could have just used that! But I digress. A jeep is made for the city just as it is for the highlands. It is awesome to drive downtown with the top off and look at the buildings from a different perspective. Potholes are not that big of a deal now. A 2 door can park anywhere a Honda Fit can go, actually even more places since we can crawl up a high curb. But if we get the notion, and a full tank of gas, we are usually only and hour or so away from any trails that you see in this forum. And thats the reason they are the vehicles they are. City and country built. One tire in the mud, one tire on the asphalt.

Sponsored

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
And steel bumpers! :)
Growing up, my Sis bought a place in NYC with her Hubby, then boyfriend. She insisted on having a car and I remember her saying she paid $1000 a month for parking!!!!!.(In 1997) That's more than my rent at the time. She has since moved off to NJ.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
We are Philly people and living in the city has a lot of challenges for any vehicle that you own. When I owned a 1998 TJ, someone uses a screwdriver to poke through the plastic windows to get inside. The other option they tried was pulling the half door top back to get in that way. Man, there was a zipper there, if they did their homework, they could have just used that! But I digress. A jeep is made for the city just as it is for the highlands. It is awesome to drive downtown with the top off and look at the buildings from a different perspective. Potholes are not that big of a deal now. A 2 door can park anywhere a Honda Fit can go, actually even more places since we can crawl up a high curb. But if we get the notion, and a full tank of gas, we are usually only and hour or so away from any trails that you see in this forum. And thats the reason they are the vehicles they are. City and country built. One tire in the mud, one tire on the asphalt.
So true! That is if no one else had decided they wanted to take your fueled up Jeep for their own excursion. LOL

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Growing up, my Sis bought a place in NYC with her Hubby, then boyfriend. She insisted on having a car and I remember her saying she paid $1000 a month for parking!!!!!.(In 1997) That's more than my rent at the time. She has since moved off to NJ.
You can pay $1000 for a spot, depending on exactly where it is. A good covered parking garage that’s 24 hours with a valet is likely to be minimum $300-400, but could be up to $1000 or so.

I didn’t have a car here in the 90s but that number back then doesn’t surprise me depending on where it was exactly.

ekone

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, bone Stock sport
Some of the people on here make fun of us that live in cities and drive Jeeps... Like its impossible to leave town and go wheeling... :facepalm:

I live in one of the bigger cities in NC (Obviously nowhere near NYC scale so don't get uppity with me :giggle:) but let me tell you the Jeep is a good city vehicle while still offering the great off road capabilities for weekend trips. I think I have a unique opportunity to have some good off roading in the city limits though.

Obviously not downtown, but this is a short drive from my house. :rock:

img_1452-jpg.jpg
Not totally sure I know where this is (maybe), but would like to if you need company :)