Sponsored

Chrysler Sells your Email address to spammers -- beware!!

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I bought the FCA Lifetime warranty in November. I haven't gotten warranty spam yet. May be the dealer that sold the email address. Or they could have gotten from somewhere else. I got a call about extending the warranty on my Audi last year...which I got rid of 3 years earlier.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
By giving a different email address to every company. Easy. If my Gmail address is [email protected] and I want to allow, say, Costco to send me email I give them the email address of [email protected]. Going forward if I start getting spam from some other source I'll know it was Costco. At that point I can *try* to opt out to see if it works or just designate that address in Gmail to go directly to the bit bucket. There's literally a handful of people to whom I've given my raw email address. Can someone easily decipher this if they want to spend a few minutes on it? You bet, but that's not how spam operations work - it's high volume + low effort and any effort spent trying to do work like that is wasted from a business perspective.

(edited to add): BTW I'm not accusing Costco of anything, I've had no issues with them, was just using them as an example.
That's a neat feature! So, I don't have to set anything up, right? Just add the "+whatever" and it still comes to my gmail box?

I will say, I still see no evidence of Spam related to Chrysler. I haven't seen any warranty spam or anything else that leads me to believe it came through them. Honestly, I don't get a lot of spam except for what I get directly from retailers after making purchases from them. If I unsubscribe, it usually stops. If not, the spam button on gmail seems to work well.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I have an e-mail set up just for commercial use - I get tons of spam there and currently have over 100K unread messages LOL!. Plus, I've also received letters about extended warranty as well.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
There are usually multiple waves of email spam. Once you give it to FCA or any other car mfg, they sell it to the warranty companies, etc. Then after about 6 months, those companies sell their lists to the next category of spammers. Then it continues from there. Welcome to the internet.

Sponsored

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
FCA has had my address since day one. All the warranty offers were from FCA and they supported when I opted out.
I'm getting extended warranty PHONE CALLS for a 2012 VW Passat TDI that I haven't owned for 4 years!

JP18

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
That's a neat feature! So, I don't have to set anything up, right? Just add the "+whatever" and it still comes to my gmail box?
Yup, you got it. The base <johnsmith>@gmail.com address can be modified either by adding to it with the plus sign (+) or by using periods within the address - [email protected] is the same thing as [email protected] as is [email protected]. I find the Plus sign to be the easiest/quickest for my needs.
Sponsored